Dillon with an interesting take on the HOF process, his M. Lewis comments, the 278 game, #Bengals regrets. #BBP http://bit.ly/2tagKr7 

Dillon is perfect example of why you do things like #Bengals finally are w/ former players. Win-win for all when he comes back this year.

Interesting listen...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/11/corey-dillon-would-like-to-patch-things-up-with-bengals/

Corey Dillon would like to patch things up with Bengals

Posted by Josh Alper on July 11, 2017, 12:41 PM EDT

As part of their 50th anniversary celebration this year, the Bengals held a fan vote for the Top 50 players in franchise history and invited the winners back for games during the regular season.

That group includes running back Corey Dillon, who ran for at least 1,129 yards in each of his first six seasons with the team before asking for a trade prior to the 2004 season. Dillon, who had other issues with management while in Cincinnati, was traded to the Patriots, which led to a Super Bowl ring after the next season and an estrangement from the Bengals that Dillon hopes will finally come to a pleasant end this year.

Dillon told Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he “did some stuff that was not cool” on his way out of town, but has no “ill will” toward the franchise any longer and that he’s happy to have a chance to build a new relationship starting with the anniversary festivities.

“They say time heals wounds,” Dillon said. “I played seven years hard for the Bengals. I’m a part of their history. They are a part of mine. I don’t dwell on the past. What happened in the past is done. If I had a magic wand to go undo some stuff I would, but I can’t. But that doesn’t mean we can’t move forward and have a better relationship. That’s how I look at it. I appreciate it for them giving me a call and inviting me back. That means a lot.”

Dillon’s time with the Bengals didn’t see the team win many games, but Dillon posted some remarkable numbers including a then-record 278 rushing yards on just 22 carries in a 2000 game against the Broncos. Dillon calls the plaque the team gave him to commemorate that game “one of my favorite items” and it seems those happy memories are more prominent the further his playing career recedes into the distance.

My favorite Corey Dillon stat.

The '00 Bengals had one of the worst passing games in NFL history.  Including sacks that passing offense generated 1946 yards in 506 plays for an average of 3.8 yards per play.  With every defense knowing that Dillon was our onnly weapon he still finished 5th in the league in rushing yards (1435) and 7th in yards per carry (4.6).  So Dillon's average yards per carry was almost a full yard more than our passing yards per play.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Fuck stats.

Dillon's attitude was part of what made him Dillon.  I liked him then and still do now.  Would love to see him be a part of the Bengal family again.  He belongs here.

There it is. 

What's with the victim mentality? "Time heals all wounds"? WTF did this franchise or town ever do to him besides give him a chance? The lasting memories of him I have is telling his coach to fuck off when being motioned to the sidelines, and tossing his pads into the stands. 

I wish all I could remember about him were the on-field accomplishments of 1997 and 2000, considering the time period. 

But sure...if he sells a few tickets and says all the nice things, why not? 

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

What's with the victim mentality? "Time heals all wounds"? WTF did this franchise or town ever do to him besides give him a chance? The lasting memories of him I have is telling his coach to fuck off when being motioned to the sidelines, and tossing his pads into the stands. 

I wish all I could remember about him were the on-field accomplishments of 1997 and 2000, considering the time period. 

But sure...if he sells a few tickets and says all the nice things, why not? 

Not denying his accomplishments with the Bengals. I'm with you though in the fuck him category.

The Bengals gave him a chance and he was great.  The rest of the team was utter shit to include the coaching and front office.  In Dillion's 7 years 9 different QBs started for the team.  The defense averaged 22nd in the league over those 7 years.   The offense was an utter joke. 

Worse, they ran him over 300 times in a 2 win season in 2002.  That pretty much summed up the ineptitude of the franchise back in the dark ages.  He was a running back, very few of them last 7 years let alone do it exceptionally well for an incompetent franchise at the time.  Only an idiot would want to stay given the opportunity to play for New England and I wish I had caught those shoulder pads. 

Left and got a ring.  Way to go Corey.

53 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals gave him a chance and he was great.  The rest of the team was utter shit to include the coaching and front office.  In Dillion's 7 years 9 different QBs started for the team.  The defense averaged 22nd in the league over those 7 years.   The offense was an utter joke. 

Worse, they ran him over 300 times in a 2 win season in 2002.  That pretty much summed up the ineptitude of the franchise back in the dark ages.  He was a running back, very few of them last 7 years let alone do it exceptionally well for an incompetent franchise at the time.  Only an idiot would want to stay given the opportunity to play for New England and I wish I had caught those shoulder pads. 

Understandable , the way he went about getting out of here was very assholish though! Basically a big fuck you to all the fans who had no control of the teams lack of success.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

At the point that Dillon really gave up on the Bengals (after the '02 season) the offense had finished in the bottom 5 in scoring for 3 straight years (30th, 31st, 28th)

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

At the point that Dillom really gave u[ on the Bengals (after the '02 season) the offense had finished in the bottom 5 in scoring for 3 straight years (30th, 31st, 28th)

All the while he was 6th (2002), 2nd (2001) and 7th (2000) in the league in rushing.  We managed a 12-34 record.  Marvin had NO track record as a head coach meanwhile the Pats had won 2 Superbowls in 3 years.   Nobody with 7 years under their belt would have stayed unless their name is Joe Thomas and they enjoy being the best player on the worst team in the league.

I got a different impression from the interview. Or I am misunderstanding you guys. I didn't get victim mentality at all. Seems to me he knows he had a bad attitude and wants to make amends. If you think that too and still think "F him", then I'm glad I don't know many of you guys. :smile: 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

I got a different impression from the interview. Or I am misunderstanding you guys. I didn't get victim mentality at all. Seems to me he knows he had a bad attitude and wants to make amends. If you think that too and still think "F him", then I'm glad I don't know many of you guys. :smile: 

I got the same vibe as you.  He stayed for 7 years which is an eternity in the NFL at the position. He was pissed the Bengals refused to let him go after a 2-14 season, his 6th.

12 hours ago, schotzee said:

Not denying his accomplishments with the Bengals. I'm with you though in the fuck him category.

I am not.. that team was a cluster fuck when he was here.. One of the best players in the NFL then..

I am with you that you pretty much always have the best avi though....

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Spare me. He signed a new 5-year deal in 2001 to make him then the highest paid Bengal ever, and equal to the best RB around at the time. Damn cruel Bengals. 

If he was so distraught over being here, he had his chance then to say see-ya...but he didn't. 

7 hours ago, Jason said:

"Time heals all wounds" doesn't sound like "I guess I'm OK with you guys, even though I had to endure making millions playing for your crap team"? That's victimhood if there is a definition. 

And I'm not saying fuck him...it's OK by me if he wants to be honored for his many on-field accomplishments here, and sell a few tickets in the process. Good for business. 

I am probably in the minority, but I still have love for Dillon.  He was a rare bright spot during the darkest period in team history, along with Willie and Takeo.  Sure, he left town on a sour note and he said plenty of things that put himself in a bad light.  I think alot of it had to do with the emergence of Rudi Johnson as a fan favorite in 2003 seemingly from nowhere when Dillon got hurt.  I was happy that he won a Super Bowl after he was traded, especially when he scored the clinching TD in the AFC championship against the stealers.  At the end of the day, Dillon is one of the best players in franchise history.  I wish his career had resulted in more victories and it's good that he wants to make peace.  Personally, I will always remember his record setting performances against the Oilers and Broncos among the greatest Bengals games I have ever watched.

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Spare me. He signed a new 5-year deal in 2001 to make him then the highest paid Bengal ever, and equal to the best RB around at the time. Damn cruel Bengals. 

If he was so distraught over being here, he had his chance then to say see-ya...but he didn't. 

Yeah, they signed him to the deal AFTER they had tagged him.  You do understand how the salary tag works right?  Play one year, get hurt, they toss you to the curb?  Dillon's only real options were to sign a new contract with the Bengals, play a 1 one year tag deal (only an idiot would do at the RB position) or sit out.

On 7/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, High School Harry said:

Fuck stats.

Dillon's attitude was part of what made him Dillon.  I liked him then and still do now.  Would love to see him be a part of the Bengal family again.  He belongs here.

Wasn't he ignorant with the fans too?

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Let it go.  If the guy is apologetic for his bad behavior let it go.  As a player he was a diamond in a sea of garbage for the Bengals.

You're right. It just bugs the hell out of me when players are ignorant to the fans continuously, especially kids!

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, they signed him to the deal AFTER they had tagged him.  You do understand how the salary tag works right?  Play one year, get hurt, they toss you to the curb?  Dillon's only real options were to sign a new contract with the Bengals, play a 1 one year tag deal (only an idiot would do at the RB position) or sit out.

The Transtion Tag was all the Bengals had at the time. But other teams could have come to the plate and played chicken with MB as to any match. They didn't, and Steinberg/Demoff didn't push the issue--knowing full well CD was going to get something in line with Eddie George's numbers. CD was either as dumb as a hay rake, or not real concerned about moving on. Your "he was a prisoner" sad song, is disingenuous at best.

Archived