https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/13/15963282/josh-malone-fit-bengals-offensive-gameplan

There's the article.

Malone was a guy that I wasn't sold on at first but I'm really liking the pick after watching more tape on him. I didn't even read the article (yet) so I'm not sure what it says, but it's hard for me to get hyped by it if it's just typical fluff because I'm sure we all remember stories like Armon "scout team Larry Fitzgerald" Binns. I will say that I'm very interested to see him on the field though I don't foresee much action this year if Green, Ross, LaFell, Boyd, Eifert, etc. are healthy.

We have an awful lot of talent when it comes to guys that can catch a football. Andy could light the league up this year if he has the time to do so.

Green, LaFell, Ross, Boyd, Malone, Core, Erickson, Eifert, Kroft, Mixon, Gio

That's absurd potential right there with some proven vets. I wish we had half of that talent on the line. I have a feeling this year's offense is either going to look like the 2011-2012 Saints or the 2016 Browns

I know Tennessee's QB got drafted in the 4th round, but it was more on potential than the way he threw the ball in college.  Last year the Vols had a very simplistic passing game.  Malone would have put up bigger numbers with a better passing team.

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

We have an awful lot of talent when it comes to guys that can catch a football. Andy could light the league up this year if he has the time to do so.

Green, LaFell, Ross, Boyd, Malone, Core, Erickson, Eifert, Kroft, Mixon, Gio

That's absurd potential right there with some proven vets. I wish we had half of that talent on the line. 

Yeah I'm not sold on this Detroit Lions draft strategy either.  Lafell was plenty good enough for a #2 WR, meanwhile the OL has turned into a sieve.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I'm not sold on this Detroit Lions draft strategy either.  Lafell was plenty good enough for a #2 WR, meanwhile the OL has turned into a sieve.

I'm not saying we should have taken OL with the 9th overall pick or anything, but our FA and draft strategy dealing with linemen seemed absolutely miserable this offseason.

Our best move was to bring a dude back that we already moved on from to play a position that he's never touched in his life. Lol for real?

I don't know, I hate being pissed with the team at this point when we're closer and closer to seeing football and further removed from last season, but it's a bummer to think about how bad this line could potentially fuck up all of these weapons we're stacking up. 

12 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'm not saying we should have taken OL with the 9th overall pick or anything, but our FA and draft strategy dealing with linemen seemed absolutely miserable this offseason.

Our best move was to bring a dude back that we already moved on from to play a position that he's never touched in his life. Lol for real?

I don't know, I hate being pissed with the team at this point when we're closer and closer to seeing football and further removed from last season, but it's a bummer to think about how bad this line could potentially fuck up all of these weapons we're stacking up. 

That's pretty much how I see it, hopefully they play a lot better than they look on paper right now.  It's definitely not about the one 1st round pick, either.  Outside of Whitworth the OL has been suspect for a long time & then when they do draft someone it's a player that they know is going to spend his rookie season on IR.  IDK if that's Father Brown trying to redeem them or what but I can't understand any team, let alone an AFCN team, trying to build an OL through retread free agents and bargain shopping for injured draft picks.  Combine that with an OL coach where the best you can hope for is that he doesn't make anybody worse or insist on starting another Livings..  It's bizarre how little value they seem to place on that group with so much riding on the offense. It's like putting used tires on a Lamborghini.

Reading all the Dillon love, made me look at the lines during his record-setting seasons. Much less real talent on all of them--yet rushing records broken. Yes, by a fine RB...but behind lesser talented lines, tutored by the very same coach everyone shits on now. 

Can't have it both ways. 

Wouldn't it be beneficial for us as a team with an inferior o-line to run more no huddle/hurry up plays? Along with the advantage of creating mismatches , it also keeps the lineman fresher as to not having to go back and forth to huddle.

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Reading all the Dillon love, made me look at the lines during his record-setting seasons. Much less real talent on all of them--yet rushing records broken. Yes, by a fine RB...but behind lesser talented lines, tutored by the very same coach everyone shits on now. 

Can't have it both ways. 

Isn't it very possible that Dillon was much better than Hill, BJGE, and Benson, Paul Alexander is out of touch with today's NFL, and/or those old lines weren't as bad as you're saying they are?

I don't follow the logic of your post if you're trying to say that it's somehow hypocritical to shit on PA in 2017 while also loving Dillon's late 90's to early 2000's dominance.

Over the past several years the Bengals O-line has been among the best at pass blocking in the entire league.  Yet they have struggled in run blocking. 

I guess the team just values pass blocking more in today's pass-dominated NFL.

I'm taking the longview on our oline. They were just awful last season, and that was WITH our two best linemen whom are now departed. I don't see how it could be any worse. I think all the Dillon love is a reflection of the hopes we have for Mixon, whom should pan out to be one of the best RB's in the league barring injuries. Lots of great to legendary RB's have run behind suspect lines, and some truly great lines allowed lesser RB's to shine.

My biggest concern is going to be Dalton's health behind that line. We'll score lots of points and put up a lot of yards next season, but we can't allow Dalton to get sacked and hit like he was last year. Aside from his health, he also tends to fumble a lot in those desperate situations. 

9 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Isn't it very possible that Dillon was much better than Hill, BJGE, and Benson, Paul Alexander is out of touch with today's NFL, and/or those old lines weren't as bad as you're saying they are?

I don't follow the logic of your post if you're trying to say that it's somehow hypocritical to shit on PA in 2017 while also loving Dillon's late 90's to early 2000's dominance.

And you read between every line--doesn't make a point either. 

The lines in 1997 and 2000 were less overall talented than the present line. Of course, read the names and you will see a young Willie Anderson, young and out of position Rich Braham. The rest were much less talented than even Russell Bodine. Yet, and having been one who actually witnessed these guys in person at the time, they operated remarkably well as units. It was evident, to anyone, that all they had was the ability to run (the passing game at both QB and receivers, was abysmal). Thus, PA drilled them to use whatever skills they had, to run block. And, they were pretty damn good at it.

And screw the "time has passed him by" bullshit. The man knows how to coach. 

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Over the past several years the Bengals O-line has been among the best at pass blocking in the entire league. 

They gave up 41 sacks last year.  The Bengals offense is designed around getting rid of the ball quickly and/or getting Dalton outside of a usually-nonexistent pocket.  Without their check-down receivers in Eifert and then Gio - in other words, the smoke & mirrors protecting a shaky OL - they got exposed.

On 7/14/2017 at 7:40 PM, T-Dub said:

They gave up 41 sacks last year.  The Bengals offense is designed around getting rid of the ball quickly and/or getting Dalton outside of a usually-nonexistent pocket.  Without their check-down receivers in Eifert and then Gio - in other words, the smoke & mirrors protecting a shaky OL - they got exposed.

Yes, they had lots of problems last year, but in the years before that it was not "smoke and mirrors".  It was excellent pass protection.

It seems like Paul Alexander is in a win-win situation heading into this year.  If the line stinks, it's not his fault because of the players they lost in free agency.  If the line exceeds the already low expectations, he gets credit for making chicken salad out of chicken shit.  There is no way Paul can lose or be criticized no matter what happens.  Quite a charmed existence.

11 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Yes, they had lots of problems last year, but in the years before that it was not "smoke and mirrors".  It was excellent pass protection.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  Dalton rarely has a clean pocket to throw from, but he's fairly elusive for a QB and gets rid of the ball faster than just about anyone else in the league.  Seems clear to me that the offense is built around maximizing that in order to protect a shaky OL.  People complain about not throwing deep often enough.  A big part of that is not feeling safe waiting for routes to develop, so they go with bootlegs and/or PA.  Of course play-action only works when defenses respect the run, and lately with us they've had no reason to worry about it.

Result: A short-to-midfield, timing-based passing offense that tends to disappear against better defenses.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It seems like Paul Alexander is in a win-win situation heading into this year.  If the line stinks, it's not his fault because of the players they lost in free agency.  If the line exceeds the already low expectations, he gets credit for making chicken salad out of chicken shit.  There is no way Paul can lose or be criticized no matter what happens.  Quite a charmed existence.

To be fair, the guy is tenured.  He would have to shit on the desk in Mike Brown's office in order to get fired, and even then I'm still not convinced he wouldn't try to "redeem" the turd.

On 7/15/2017 at 4:52 PM, schotzee said:

Is your son at work again bung?:blink:

Ha ha, no. He is so much older now and very computer savvy. Which should either give you confidence or scare the shit out of you. I think he's watching a YouTube video right now on how to hack the Pentagon's computers...

:lol:

Archived