Rookie seasons of Bengals first offensive player drafted since'10

2017.....John Ross...???

2016.....Tyler Boyd...54 receptions for 603 yards.  Both were 3rd on the team

2015.....Cedric Ogbuehi...only played 65 snaps in 5 games

2014.....Jeremy Hill....led team with 1124 rushing yards (8th in league), 9 rushing tds (3rd in league) and 5.1 yards per carry (5th in league)

2013.....Tyler Eifert....15 games started, 39 receptions for 445 yards

2012.....Kevin Zeitler....started all 16 games

2011.....A. J. Green....Led team in receptions (65), receiving yards (1065), and receiving tds (7)

2010.....Jermaine Gresham...52 receptions (3rd on team) for 471 yards and 4 tds (2nd on team)

I have posted other material that shows that Marvin and the Bengals play high draft picks as much as other teams in the league, but I think this drives home the point that with offensive players the Bengals usually get good production the rookie season.

2016 - WJIII - DNP

2015 - Paul Dawson - scrub

2014 - Dennard - 41 snaps

2013 - Hunt - scrub

2012 - Dre Kirk - limited snaps in 4 games

2011 - Moch - scrub

2010 - Dunlap

I'm not trying to use this post to complain about our defensive picks as much as I just wanted to point out how strange this seems. There are obviously some exceptions to this theory (Dunlap, Dre Kirk's present play, Boling, Bodine), but I feel like the average draft position of our defensive starters is muuuuuch lower than the offense. This is of course speaking of players we've drafted ourselves.

Maybe we should exclusively draft O in rounds 1-3 and D in the later rounds. Obviously I'm kind of joking with that, but if you look at our recent draft history it doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world. Sorry for the semi-derailment, but seeing your list made me realize how many of our starters/key contributors on offense were high round picks.

Archived