Favorite players from the 1990's

Most of you have probably tried to erase the 90's from your Bengal memories, but I still had some favorite players back in those days.  I feel some of them don't get the credit they deserve because of the teams they played on.  And I am generally not talking about the stars from the early 90's when we were still a playoff team.

Carl Pickens....From 1994 through 1996 Carl Pickens led the entire NFL in receiving tds with 40, he was also 5th in receptions (270) and 7th in receiving yards (3541).

Dan Wilkinson...Had 20 sacks in his first three season with the Bengals despite playing an interior line position.  His 8 sacks in 1995 was #1 in the AFC by an interior d-lineman.  He was so good that when we traded him to the Redskins we got a First and a Third round pick for him.

James Francis....Over his first 4 years with the Bengals he had 19 sacks, 7 interceptions, 4 forced fumbles, and 4 fumble recoveries while scoring 2 defensive tds and a safety.  Went on to start 130 games for the Bengals over 9 seasons.

Since it seemed like we were on kickoff return all the time I absolutely loved Tremaine Mack. He had a chance to house it every return. He Kinda fell off the face of the earth though. Also loved watching a Jeff Blake deep ball.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Alfred Williams, 

Can't believe I forgot Alfred Williams.  Had 10 sacks for the bengals in '92 and 9.5 in '94.  

Was selected All Pro in 96 when he had 13 sacks for the Broncos.

Hell of a ball player.

12 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Most of you have probably tried to erase the 90's from your Bengal memories, but I still had some favorite players back in those days.  I feel some of them don't get the credit they deserve because of the teams they played on.  And I am generally not talking about the stars from the early 90's when we were still a playoff team.

Carl Pickens....From 1994 through 1996 Carl Pickens led the entire NFL in receiving tds with 40, he was also 5th in receptions (270) and 7th in receiving yards (3541).

Dan Wilkinson...Had 20 sacks in his first three season with the Bengals despite playing an interior line position.  His 8 sacks in 1995 was #1 in the AFC by an interior d-lineman.  He was so good that when we traded him to the Redskins we got a First and a Third round pick for him.

James Francis....Over his first 4 years with the Bengals he had 19 sacks, 7 interceptions, 4 forced fumbles, and 4 fumble recoveries while scoring 2 defensive tds and a safety.  Went on to start 130 games for the Bengals over 9 seasons.

And yet some dumbass fans call Big Daddy a bust...

I liked Corey Sawyer, Francis, Krumrie, Pickens, Mack, Tovar, Williams...and a few others I am sure I am missing. Blake was okay, but I think his deep ball was overrated as it had so much hang time it allowed defenders to get underneath it. Those things were rainbows, almost like punts.

The Debbie Downer™:okay-min: Post of the Day ...

Don't forget Tim (wide receiver) and Tony (tight end) McGee ... no relation

Tremaine Mack was an alcoholic and way out there head case.  Suspended several times for drinking.  One DUI was the stretch of I-275 near me (notorious speed trap) going well over 100 mph and very drunk.  Last heard of after he was cut was for beating up his transvestite girlfriend and stealing his/her purse.  Also (no source) rumors that he was also a TV but he did like the boy/girls or just boys.

Blake, Pickins and McGee were notorious haters and if not the originators of the term "Cancer Corner", at least kept up the name and reputation.  Catch Lapham in a chatty mood on or off the air and he elaborates.  

Picking with a different attitude could have been arguably the best wide receiver the Bengals ever had.  The most physical wide receiver I have ever seen.  I recall one play where the defender had an interception in the end zone, hands above his head catch, and Pickins ripped the ball from his hands for the TD before he could secure it.

Klingler (yes, Klingler) had his full plate of problems but Pickins did nothing to help.  He was always miffed about being a second round pick and behind Kilingler and did nothing to help Kling's (and the team's) cause by alligator arming and half assed catch attempts whereas he was an acrobat making Blake look better.

I dislike him and his attitude more than Corey Dillon's displays.

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Picking with a different attitude could have been arguably the best wide receiver the Bengals ever had.  The most physical wide receiver I have ever seen.

Pickens' freshman year at Tennessee they had so many injuries in the defensive backfield that they moved Pickens to safety.  He only played 5 games there but led the team in interceptions (4), took one back for a td, and was named the Defensive MVP of the 1990 Cotton Bowl for a team that finished #5 in the nation.

At Tennessee he scored tds on receptions, kick off returns, punt returns, and interception returns.

His 95 yards punt return in 1992 is a Bengal record and the 11th longest in NFL history.

24 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Last I heard Mack was coaching high school baseball and football somewhere in Washington.

Good call 

Mack is currently the head coach of the Mount Rainier (Washington) High School Rams.

from Wikipedia ... started in 2000 so not sure where he is now.

Loved Tremain Mack. He was a beast as a DB and ST guy at the U and I thought he'd do more as a Bengal. Still, a helluva KR.

Pickens was tremendous, especially on contested catches. The best-ever for this franchise IMO. Darnay Scott was a homerun hitter. 

Harold Green was a helluva back on a terrible team.

Blake was a ray of sunshine after some horrid QB'ing (Boomer notwithstanding)

Pelfrey, Dillon of course, and Willie - both would get more HOF consideration if they played in larger markets and on some winning teams. 

Spikes and Simmons at the end of the decade

And while both Francis and Wilkinson did some good things, I wouldn't say that either guy excelled. Personally, I thought both guys underachieved. I thought Francis was gonna be an all-timer but he just didn't seem to give an isht half the time. 

Looking at some of those old rosters, yikes. Terrible. 

The Norman Julius Fun Ride the last 5 games of '97 was one of my Top-5 favorite seasons. I always will wonder why Coslet didn't pitch the completely ineffective Jeffy to the bench sooner. There was actually a playoff glimmer during that stretch. Norman's final TD pass--a beauty to Darnay--sent folks home grinning ear to ear. 

Corey Dillon was an ass-clown, but he was also pretty much a one man football team in the late 90's.

Jeff Blake just seemed to love the game. He was fun to watch.

The problem with all of these guys... Pickens was a fav of mine right up until he pulled his BS at the end. Same for Dillon. These guys all suffered from "Big fish, little pond" syndrome. Carl Pickens thought he was god's gift, left the Bengals and was cut by the Cowboys. I believe before camp was over.

Do I blame the players? Not especially. Does it leave a bad taste in my mouth that they A) Left the Bengals with bad blood or B) Sucked so badly they were afraid to leave the little pond? Yep. Does it bother me that Jeff Blake would have been a 1 year starter if Mike Brown had an actual scouting department? Yep.

So.... I don't have any favorite Bengals from the 90's. I either watched them leave with bad blood, or I watched them suck the life out of me for a decade until they were finally replaced by someone who couldn't play either. Shout out to Big Willie - a true pro who was done dirty by the Brown family.

18 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The Norman Julius Fun Ride the last 5 games of '97 was one of my Top-5 favorite seasons. I always will wonder why Coslet didn't pitch the completely ineffective Jeffy to the bench sooner. There was actually a playoff glimmer during that stretch. Norman's final TD pass--a beauty to Darnay--sent folks home grinning ear to ear. 

To this day I think we would have had something the next year if he had stayed. I understood the MNF gig was a big deal but man I wanted him to come back. One my favorite stretches of Bengal football outside of 1981 and 1988. 

Archived