Pacman suspended

I was hoping he got more, so it would kinda force the team to play the younger CBs and move away from him.  Off the field, he's been the ONLY knucklehead for the past few years.  I try to tell people that I work with (in Houston) but most of the country STILL thinks we have a bunch of wild thugs.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Is it bad that part of me is happy he only got 1 game solely so I don't have to hear about how the league is out to get us? :lol:

Hahaha. No, at least you're honest.☺

Yea, I don't remember what his latest transgression was, but he definitely earned a short leash for disciplinary action. In that I would say, probably should have gotten more.

We all should have learned one thing about this whole affair.....remember a few years ago when Mikey announced it was pretty much Katie's and Marvin's team now....that was horseshit.

Mikey said that the Pacman decision was his and his alone.  Mikey is never going to give up his power and the only time Marvin has his ear is when Mikey agrees with him.

8 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

We all should have learned one thing about this whole affair.....remember a few years ago when Mikey announced it was pretty much Katie's and Marvin's team now....that was horseshit.

Mikey said that the Pacman decision was his and his alone.  Mikey is never going to give up his power and the only time Marvin has his ear is when Mikey agrees with him.

The only time Mike has Marvin's ear is when Mike has Marvin suck his dick and Marv turns his head.

59 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Hope he fights it and loses and serve the suspension in game 5 or 6....just don't really like the idea of WJ3 starting week 1....or who ever the hell the 3rd corner will be.

I'd guess it's going to be Dre and WJIII on the outside with Shaw playing the slot and Dennard coming in when necessary, unless there's someone else on the roster that I'm forgetting about that plays the outside well enough.

If the coaches think WJIII is ready to go then I'm ready to see him out there. I trust Coyle and Guenther more than almost any other coach on the team currently.

One game was the best case scenario for Pacman.  Goodell was going to hand down something based off his history and I thought 2-4 games see med more likely.  Hard to imagine the suspension being overturned if he appeals, but the depth at CB is pretty solid right now in his absence (Dre, Dennard, Shaw, Jackson, Russell, Benwikere).

20 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I trust Coyle and Guenther more than almost any other coach on the team currently.

I thinmnk Coyle is our best position coach.  I would not be surprised to see both Jackson and Dennard step up and play very well this year.

On 7/21/2017 at 1:50 PM, turningpoint said:

Hope he fights it and loses and serve the suspension in game 5 or 6....just don't really like the idea of WJ3 starting week 1....or who ever the hell the 3rd corner will be.

IDK, the sooner we make this jackass expendable the better.

As for Guenther & Coyle..  Yeah, I don't see it.  The defense has gotten steadily worse since he took over. Tackling has kind of gone to shit & the secondary play is a lot softer now, yet we're blitzing in all sorts of weird situations. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

As for Guenther & Coyle..  Yeah, I don't see it.  The defense has gotten steadily worse since he took over. Tackling has kind of gone to shit & the secondary play is a lot softer now, yet we're blitzing in all sorts of weird situations. 

Truth is, Jones is still one of the better corners in the league. I don't think any one on this roster makes him expendable, only age will do that.

As far as the D getting steadily worse.... Umm that nuts! That D gave up 15.2 points per game the last half of the season.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Tackling has gone to shit, that's an absolute fact and I have no clue what the fuck happened to the team's form tackling last season. I also agree that the blitzing has been odd at times, I don't think Paulie G is the best D Coordinator in the league when it comes to setting the blitz. 

However, the defense has still been the team's strongest facet of the game even post-Zimmer. Trust me, i thought Guenther was the laziest hire possible and I criticized him in his first year for being Zimmer-lite and essentially a weaker version of our previous D. He has really turned the corner as a coordinator though, it seems like his study under Zimmer is really paying off. Our defense was very, very, very good in the 2nd half of last season. He's one of the few Bengals coaches that has impressed me quite a bit and made me eat some crow after talking shit on him. You don't have to agree, but I do think Guenth is a great coordinator at this point in his career and I'd take him over 75% of d coords in the league. 

Coyle, his body of work speaks for itself. We've had one of the best secondaries in the NFL year after year after year. Do you really have an issue with him? I'm very curious as to why specifically, if you do of course. 

Didn't we play some of the worst offenses in the NFL the last half of the season? Not to say the defense didn't improve in their own right, but "very, very, very good" is a stretch. 

8 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Coyle, his body of work speaks for itself. We've had one of the best secondaries in the NFL year after year after year. Do you really have an issue with him? I'm very curious as to why specifically, if you do of course. 

Coyle was with the Dolphins from 2012-15.  Vance Joseph was our DB coach in '14-15. In fact the only reason Coyle was available was because Miami fired him & hired Joseph as their DC.  I thought the secondary looked much less aggressive last season & we got picked apart by the short passes.  Blitzing frequently and "off" coverage are a bad combination. 

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Didn't we play some of the worst offenses in the NFL the last half of the season? Not to say the defense didn't improve in their own right, but "very, very, very good" is a stretch. 

Coyle was with the Dolphins from 2012-15.  Vance Joseph was our DB coach in '14-15. In fact the only reason Coyle was available was because Miami fired him & hired Joseph as their DC.  I thought the secondary looked much less aggressive last season & we got picked apart by the short passes.  Blitzing frequently and "off" coverage are a bad combination. 

LOL holy shit. I just confused Vance Joseph with Coyle in the past however many posts and completely forgot that this happened with our coaching staff. That's my bad.

OK, I'm with ya on Coyle then. Other than Dre Kirk's dramatic improvement in 2016, the secondary looked much worse than the previous year or two, so Coyle doesn't get that benefit of the doubt that VJ would have gotten with me. I actually wanted Vance as our DC so I don't know how the fuck I forgot that he was gone. Again, my bad, so yeah, we're good.

4 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I actually wanted Vance as our DC

Same.  We seem to be trying to groom guys to promote in-house, my guess is as a HC replacement ultimately, but they keep getting sniped because we're too slow to make a move.  

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Same.  We seem to be trying to groom guys to promote in-house, my guess is as a HC replacement ultimately, but they keep getting sniped because we're too slow to make a move.  

This is why I have a huge issue with being one of the big ol' Bengals homers that defend the team at all costs. We kinda deserve the punishment sometimes. I love this team, but God damn dude.

Didn't we try to promise Hue he could be HC at some point maybe, sorta, sometime if he stuck around for a few years? What in the actual fuck kind of OC negotiation is that???

7 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

This is why I have a huge issue with being one of the big ol' Bengals homers that defend the team at all costs. We kinda deserve the punishment sometimes. I love this team, but God damn dude.

Didn't we try to promise Hue he could be HC at some point maybe, sorta, sometime if he stuck around for a few years? What in the actual fuck kind of OC negotiation is that???

IIRC they talked about it with Hue but weren't willing to put it in writing. Our coaches are tenured which doesn't go well with the general lack of accountability; players, coaches, whoever.

I have been accused of both homerism and being overly negative at various times around here, I think just about everyone falls somewhere in the middle. Just depends on whose ox is being gored at the moment.

18 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

IIRC they talked about it with Hue but weren't willing to put it in writing. Our coaches are tenured which doesn't go well with the general lack of accountability; players, coaches, whoever.

I have been accused of both homerism and being overly negative at various times around here, I think just about everyone falls somewhere in the middle. Just depends on whose ox is being gored at the moment.

I can agree with that. I've been accused of both as well, along with being accused of being a bleeding heart liberal and a cousin fucking conservative in the same day just depending on who decided to see my opinions on various subjects; so I understand exactly what you're talking about with that.

As much as we disagree/have disagreed, I think we both believe a huge issue with this team starts at the very top. Our assistant coach/line coach hasn't produced a top running line in like 3 decades, but fuck, who cares right? We've had about 10 HC worthy coaches on our staff in the past 30 years, but let's make them empty promises instead of promoting them, because who gives a fuck? Akili Smith, Carson Palmer, Jonathan Joseph, whatever, I love this team too much to be done with it but so much makes me want to be done at times.

Archived