The Redeemer Speaketh!

UncleEarl

Bengals owner defends decision to keep Adam Jones

CINCINNATI - Bengals owner Mike Brown is defending his decision to keep cornerback Adam ''Pacman'' Jones despite another arrest, saying he's been ''punished enough'' for his latest troubles.

The NFL suspended Jones for the season opener because of his altercation with a hotel security employee and his profane outburst at police following his arrest in January. Jones pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge to settle the case.

Brown intimated at the team's annual preseason luncheon on Tuesday that there was discussion in the front office about releasing Jones, but he was against it.

''I'm not going to say something wasn't discussed, something wasn't considered,'' Brown said. ''But what we did is what we did, and I'll take responsibility for it. We'll see how it turns out in the end. It if turns out well, I'll be pleased. If it doesn't, then blame me.''

After his arrest, Jones told one of the officers taking him to jail that ''I hope you die tomorrow.'' The Bengals apologized for Jones' conduct soon after his arrest, and then decided to keep him on the team.

Brown gave Jones what amounted to a final chance in the NFL after his suspension-marred years with Tennessee and Dallas. Jones has had several off-season incidents during his seven seasons with Cincinnati. He was found not guilty of assault charges in 2013 after being accused of punching a woman at a Cincinnati nightclub. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct after he was arrested in 2011 in another case.

Jones also was involved in a last-minute meltdown that helped the Stealers rally for a first-round playoff win during the 2015 season, bumping an official and drawing a penalty that set up Pittsburgh's winning field goal.

Brown said his admiration for Jones hasn't diminished.

''I like him personally,'' Brown said. ''I admire his energy, I admire his courage, I admire a lot of things about him. He didn't come up the easy way, believe me. If any of us had come up that way, I wonder where we'd be. But anyway, he has misstepped from time to time.''

The decision to keep Jones wasn't the only one that put the Bengals in the spotlight in the offseason.

The Bengals were criticized for taking running back Joe Mixon in the second round of the draft even though he'd punched a woman at a bar before his freshman year at Oklahoma, drawing a one-season suspension there. Brown defended the decision to draft Mixon, too.

''I think it's time to give a young guy like this a chance to do the best with his life that he can do,'' Brown said. ''I don't see what's served by denying someone his opportunity.''

During an interview on CNN on Sunday, Bob Costas noted the Bengals' penchant drafting and keeping troubled players over the years, saying they ''at various times seem to have been running a halfway house for miscreants.'' Brown took exception on Tuesday, pointing out that they've been near the bottom of the league in player suspensions the last few years.

''Do I think we have a locker room with the James boys and Pretty Boy Floyd and John Dillinger?'' Brown said, referring to notorious outlaws, bank robbers and gangsters. ''I don't. I'm not Ma Barker. I really think he would have been better to have looked into this one a little bit more.''

The Bengals open camp at Paul Brown Stadium on Thursday. Marvin Lewis is entering his final season on his contract after failing to agree to an extension in the offseason. The Bengals are coming off a 6-9-1 season, and Lewis has yet to win a playoff game in his 14 seasons as Cincinnati's head coach.

Brown said he has a good relationship with Lewis and acknowledged that the one-year contract status will give him added pressure this season. He noted that it's not the first time Lewis had completed a contract with the Bengals.

''Sometimes it was an additional prod,'' Brown said. ''We all know how it went last year. We all wish it had gone better. So maybe we'll see a better year this year and things will sort out then.''

Lewis declined to say anything more than Brown did about his contract status.

''I don't think much about the future ever,'' Lewis said.

---

For more NFL coverage: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1338977-bengals-owner-defends-decision-to-keep-adam-jones

11 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And still Colin Kaepernick is jobless. You can call a cop a slew of curse words, tell him you hope he dies, as long as you don't disrespect the police with a T-Shirt.

If you can play....

I respect Kaepernick for standing up for his beliefs (don't agree with him on all counts, but I defended his/ALL Americans rights for 20 years and for him to be able to exercise his rights) but as many have found out before him, you also take the responsibility for standing up for your beliefs... rightly or wrongly.

Ali stood up for his beliefs and was sentenced to 5 years in jail for it (stayed out of jail on appeal, then won his appeal). He was then stripped of his title and banned from boxing for 3 years (prime of his career too). He still came back better than ever, he persevered and overcame... in spite of the racist assholes doing their best to screw him over.

Snowden is viewed by some as a traitor and by others as a hero for outing the spying on Americans by the NSA and other agencies. He can't even come back into the COUNTRY or he will be rotting under Fort Leavenworth. He says he still would do what he did because the American people deserved to know.

So WHAT exactly is Kaepernick bitching about now?

6 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Are you honestly implying that Kaepernick is not good enough to be a team's backup, but Adam Jones is till so good we have to put up with his antics?

What I am saying is Kaepernick is a marginal backup QB that isn't worth the trouble.  Jones is a starting CB and more valuable.  

Jones is not a good guy and I have no problem kicking him to the curb.  On the other hand Kaepernick made the cardinal sin for someone working in the entertainment field, insulting the crowd.  I also wonder if there isn't more about Kaepernick we don't know?  Is he a good guy in the room?  I don't recall a lot of his teammates begging for him.  He may not be all that popular with them either.  Is a marginal backup QB worth the negative fan reaction and press circus that Kaepernick would bring?  As an owner I would have to be pretty desperate for a backup to give Kaepernick a call.  

10 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

So WHAT exactly is Kaepernick bitching about now

He's not bitching about anything. I'm pointing out that having a rap sheet a mile long with deteriorating play and an on field persona that costs your team 15 yard penalties on a regular basis is fine as long as you don't stand for something.

Yes, Ali did 5 years... Are you saying that we can't do better/be better than this in 2017? If you went back 50 years would you say "That's wrong" or would you have said "Well, that's just what ya get... He's insulting the crowd. He's probably a real jerk in private."

42 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

He's not bitching about anything. I'm pointing out that having a rap sheet a mile long with deteriorating play and an on field persona that costs your team 15 yard penalties on a regular basis is fine as long as you don't stand for something.

Yes, Ali did 5 years... Are you saying that we can't do better/be better than this in 2017? If you went back 50 years would you say "That's wrong" or would you have said "Well, that's just what ya get... He's insulting the crowd. He's probably a real jerk in private."

I see your point, however if Kaepernick was a Bengal, he'd still be on the roster. Mike Brown catches a lot of shit (deservedly so) but he wouldn't screw a guy over for standing up for his beliefs.

My personal feelings about Kaepernick's talent and play is that he just isn't that good. The only reason he had the early success is that his defense gave him opportunities, he was running a system that fit his abilities, and he had a boatload of luck. Now it's not his fault that they tried to change him to a pocket passer (not a strength of his) but a QB with all the tools would've adapted. Look at RGIII, he had the same problem and even if he didn't have the injuries, he would've been a fish out of water if his system was changed as well.

If you look into Kaep's scouting reports once he was in the league, they point out his weaknesses and teams exploited them. He hadn't addressed his weaknesses (such as lack or read progression, accuracy, always trying to go to the right when forced out of the pocket, etc). That's why his level of success went down, and also contributing to that was that the team was falling apart around him.

Can WE (you and I) be better than 50 years ago?

Hell yes we can... but the reality is that there is a helluva lot of America that don't WANT to be better and their actions show it. Whether it's the holdovers from the good ole boy Jim Crow days or the newly minted racist is debatable, the fact is that it's NOT as good as it should be. The only way to see that it's better is that although Kaepernick received death threats, he wasn't openly lynched in front of an approving mob who had picnic lunches standing by. That would've happened back then.

If I went back 50 year, I would be standing up and saying it's wrong, because that's the way I was raised. Caused quite a scene with a lot of our family, being "n#*@!r lovers", as we were called.

Ostracized from the rest, our family grew up happier being away from the ignorance and hate, and I'm blessed to be able to pass the right way to treat ALL HUMANS on to my kids.

14 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Are you honestly implying that Kaepernick is not good enough to be a team's backup, but Adam Jones is till so good we have to put up with his antics?

1.Since Kaepernick and his agent refuse to talk it is all speculation.   Is he willing to take backup money on a one year deal?  Keep in mind HE opted out of $14.5 mil this year to become a free agent. Do you think he is willing to take far less to be a backup?

2. Does any owner really want his backup to be a hot topic of conversation,..ever?   No starter wants the guy behind him unless he is a guy like Brady or Rodgers. I could imagine Dalton having a bad day and all of the idiots screaming for Kaepernick from the stands.

3. Is he a legit NFL QB or was he simply a more durable RGIII who played on a better team for awhile? 

Adam Jones is still one of the better players in the league at one of the single most important positions on defense.  He did not assault anyone.  He did not have illegal drugs or weapons.  All he did was run his mouth while he was upset over getting arrested on false charges.

There is not a single team in the league that would cut such a valuable player over such a small incident.

31 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Jones insulted one police officer who arrested him on false charges..  Kaepernick, whether he intended to or not, insulted the entire country.

Can't really compare the two.

Totally agree.  Kaepernick insulted the entire country AND compared ALL police officers to the Runaway Slave Patrol. No owner wants to deal with that for a backup.  Nobody wants to spend the next 6 weeks answering questions about their backup QB.  If he had Cam Newton's skill he would already have a job.  If he were as good as Jones at the QB position, he would be employed.

This is the NFL. Ray Rice was black balled because his skills were eroded. Same thing with Kaepernick. If either were outstanding players they would have been on a time pretty quickly. Not saying it is right or wrong either way but the NFL is a business.   

7 hours ago, Ron~Popeil said:

This is the NFL. Ray Rice was black balled because his skills were eroded. Same thing with Kaepernick. If either were outstanding players they would have been on a time pretty quickly. Not saying it is right or wrong either way but the NFL is a business.   

Sorry, but that's Bullshit.  Kaepernick's skills haven't eroded, his actions pissed off a lot of rednecks who believe 'Murica is 1930's Munich.

13 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Sorry, but that's Bullshit.  Kaepernick's skills haven't eroded, his actions pissed off a lot of rednecks who believe 'Murica is 1930's Munich.

Kaepernick was playing on one of the absolute worst offenses in the league last year and he still had a 16-to-4 td-to-interception ratio and a passer rating over 90.

His number one receiver was 5'9" Jeremy Kerley who only averaged 10.4 yards on his 64 receptions.  Quinton Patten (who?) had 37 catches and no one else had more than 29.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Again, we don't know what  $'s he and his agent want AND nobody wants to spend the next 6 weeks talking about their backup QB NONSTOP.

Eh, I don't buy that.  These teams have no problem at all covering for rapists, wife-beaters, drug addicts & drunks so long as they help them win.  What horrible offense has CK committed, daring to veer from the "dumb jock" script of uncritical jingoistic military boosterism (paid for by the DoD) and wearing pink gear for a month to support one of the shadiest "charities" around (marketing)? 

I think the point of the comparison between CK & Pacman was that it's obviously not about bad headlines.  The Enquirer probably has a full-time Pacman Jones desk these days.

No question Kap is being black-balled for daring to use his position in the media spotlight in a non-NFL approved manner. If recent events have taught us anything it's that white America absolutely hates being told racism still exists.

This may all be better suited for the J&D pit, but suffice to say the CK situation is only the latest example of NFL hypocrisy. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Eh, I don't buy that.  These teams have no problem at all covering for rapists, wife-beaters, drug addicts & drunks so long as they help them win.  What horrible offense has CK committed, daring to veer from the "dumb jock" script of uncritical jingoistic military boosterism (paid for by the DoD) and wearing pink gear for a month to support one of the shadiest "charities" around (marketing)? 

I think the point of the comparison between CK & Pacman was that it's obviously not about bad headlines.  The Enquirer probably has a full-time Pacman Jones desk these days.

No question Kap is being black-balled for daring to use his position in the media spotlight in a non-NFL approved manner. If recent events have taught us anything it's that white America absolutely hates being told racism still exists.

This may all be better suited for the J&D pit, but suffice to say the CK situation is only the latest example of NFL hypocrisy. 

Good points all around, and I mostly agree with you...

Now about that "What horrible offense has CK committed, daring to veer from the "dumb jock" script of uncritical jingoistic military boosterism (paid for by the DoD) and wearing pink gear for a month to support one of the shadiest "charities" around (marketing)? "

While I have no doubt that the uncritical jingoistic military boosterism and the marketing angle is mostly correct, I can tell you that it did piss me off (and many veterans of all colors) that he originally wasn't standing. I tempered my feelings while gaining understanding of his approach. I gained more respect for him and his approach after he spoke with an Army Ranger I believe, and decided to kneel.

Regardless anyone's thoughts or feelings, he definitely got everyone's attention and was able to express his protest to a hellaciously large audience.

I still don't think he is that good of a QB still, but once again, just my ignorant opinion.

Just my .02, but I agree with you overall T-Dub, especially the part where white America hates to be told the blatantly evident truth that racism does exist indeed.

The Kaepernick thing is interesting. I wonder why his coach didn't order him to just stay in the locker room during the anthem if he knew Kap wasn't going to toe the line and stand. Of course, Kap may have refused to go into the locker room so his "protest" (which was pretty milquetoast, all things considered) would be seen on television because he wanted the attention to his cause it would bring.

I mostly agree with USN...I don't think he's great shakes as a QB, but I do think he's certainly better than many backups out there and I am convinced that the owners of many teams (whom are to a man almost all rich, old white people) have in fact told coaches and GM's of their teams not to consider him for employment, which is the definition of being blackballed. 

That said, there's rumors stirring on 1530 that he'll become a Raven due to Flacco's injury. I do think Kap would be a slightly better option than Mallet.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:33 PM, fredtoast said:

Adam Jones is still one of the better players in the league at one of the single most important positions on defense.  He did not assault anyone.  He did not have illegal drugs or weapons.  All he did was run his mouth while he was upset over getting arrested on false charges.

There is not a single team in the league that would cut such a valuable player over such a small incident.

The Cowboys say hi...

Archived