The Redeemer Speaketh!

UncleEarl

Just now, fredtoast said:

Money did not make the charges go away.

Plus he never shot anyone and he was never connected to any cocaine dealing.

Check the link. The nurse in the latest incident dropped the charges after Jones settled with her financially. (About $250K if I remember correctly)

Jones had his property seized because he was connected to a coke ring.

On January 9, 2015, Jones was forced to pay $11 million to Urbanski and $1.3 million to Aaron Cudworth who was working with Urbanski on the day of the shooting in Las Vegas and was also shot. $12.3 Mil is a lot of money for an innocent man to be paying out.

Butt, but, but... he was never CONVICTED of shooting someone or CONVICTED of being involved in a coke ring.... or convicted of ANYTHING serious.

Therefore, I believe he donated the 12.3 Million dollars out of the goodness of his angel like heart.... and... and... and he donated that money to the nurse because he is sooooo thankful of her caring nature and the job she always performs...

Yeah.. that's it... Pacman is a saint!!!

I'm going to send all of his saintly actions to the pope so the beatification process can begin!!!!

19 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Ok. That is your opinion, but I'm not sure it's fair to say 

Curious, what is your explanation for it? None of us can be "right" because we don't know what goes on in the clubhouse.

Why does Mike Brown go after guys like Jones and Mixon in the first place? My opinion, he loves cheap talent more than he dislikes hitting women. 

How many guys has Mike Brown cut for getting into trouble while our team image remains "NFL halfway house"?

Honestly curious, do you think Mike Brown does this because he sees himself as some redeemer of troubled youths? Because there's two parts to this - Jones was already a "troubled" guy when we signed him. It's not like we signed some pillar of the community and we're standing behind a guy we thought was salt of the Earth... So, why do we sign players with a police record in the first place, and why do we hold on to them when their behavior continues?

http://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/bengals-have-history-of-violence-against-women

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Check the link. The nurse in the latest incident dropped the charges after Jones settled with her financially. (About $250K if I remember correctly)

What link?

The nurse never dropped any charges as far as I know.  The District attorney was the one that made that decision.

Jones had his property seized because he was connected to a coke ring.

No he did not.  J0ones had zero connection with any cocaine dealings.  He just loaned his car to a guy who was involved.

Are you willing to admit that you are guilty of everything any of your friends has ever done?  If not then cut the bullshit about Adam being connected to any cvocaine dealings.

Curious, what is your explanation for it? None of us can be "right" because we don't know what goes on in the clubhouse.

Why does Mike Brown go after guys like Jones and Mixon in the first place? My opinion, he loves cheap talent more than he dislikes hitting women. 

How many guys has Mike Brown cut for getting into trouble while our team image remains "NFL halfway house"?

Honestly curious, do you think Mike Brown does this because he sees himself as some redeemer of troubled youths? Because there's two parts to this - Jones was already a "troubled" guy when we signed him. It's not like we signed some pillar of the community and we're standing behind a guy we thought was salt of the Earth... So, why do we sign players with a police record in the first place, and why do we hold on to them when their behavior continues?

http://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/bengals-have-history-of-violence-against-women

Mike Brown does it for the same reason that Jerry Jones and every other team in the league does. 

Over the last decade many other NFL teams have had more arrests than the Bengals.

I don't know why you guys make such a big deal over this.  Every team does it.  And in the "real" world companies don't fire their top talent over minor legal problems.  You guys honestly think that if a top hedge fund manager picked up a domestic assault charges he would never work on Wall Street again?  You are so naive.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Because they are talented and can play NFL football?

That's the only honest, real answer.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Mike Brown does it for the same reason that Jerry Jones and every other team in the league does. 

Over the last decade many other NFL teams have had more arrests than the Bengals.

Yet we're still the "thugs" whenever Goodell needs to make an example out of someone or some hypocritical asshole on TV feels like sermonizing.  

Pacman Jones is still a fuck-up.  Covering for him says more about our DB roster depth than MB's moral compass.

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Because they are talented and can play NFL football?

So, aside from Joe Mixon, there was no one else who was talented and could play NFL Football in the second round this year?

Adam Jones was the only guy who could possibly play CB when we signed him?

No, they were damaged goods and represented "value". CB's that don't get arrested cost too much. Joe Mixon is a steal in the second round if you just look past him breaking a girl's face. 

12 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

So, aside from Joe Mixon, there was no one else who was talented and could play NFL Football in the second round this year?

No, they were damaged goods and represented "value". CB's that don't get arrested cost too much. Joe Mixon is a steal in the second round if you just look past him breaking a girl's face. 

This is ridiculous.  We paid top money to CBs like Dre Kirkpatrick and Leon Hall (Although I guess Hall is a "thug"in your mind also).

And who was a more talented football player than Mixon that we could have taken in that spot?

Why do you keep squealing and squirting all over yourself about the Bengals doing exactly what every other team in the league does?

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

We were able to sign him in 2010 for $295K.

Right...he was cheap when we first got him due to his extensive luggage, and he played himself into a pretty rich contract afterwards, and in the meantime has continued to add to his baggage/reputation. But his most recent incidents haven't cost him any money other than the suspension. I'm trying to remember what the original point of this discussion even is. It's pretty obvious that several NFL owners, including Mike Brown, aren't above making business decisions and taking risks with their assets, the players. He got a good player and an electric punt returner in Jones for cheap initially. Jerry Jones is famous for this...and so is Bill Belicheck. The bottom line is...who cares? 

Look, I would prefer that we have guys that don't get into trouble, but it is most certainly par for the course. These are gladiators with alpha male personalities that are adrenaline junkies. When they drink, many of them act very poorly...but so do many of us. As long as they can be contributors on the field on gameday, I don't care if they play while on LSD. You have to be more cynical and realize how farcical almost all of this is...loyalty to a team instead of money, greedy owners, it's a cold-blooded business, the commissioner is a Keystone cop...it's ludicrous.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:59 PM, T-Dub said:

I wonder if he means his own family, or does he really think nobody anywhere has had it as bad as Pacman Jones? 

I meant for most of us here.  I am under the impression Jones grew up in a rough place.  Could be wrong, just an assumption.  Some here may have had it worse.  I bet most did not.

None the less, you posted a quote from me out of context from a different thread?  You also refer to me in the third person?  I'm right here.  You can address me directly.  What is wrong with you?  

On 7/31/2017 at 10:20 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

I agree.  Mixon is a potential star Brown gets on the cheap.  Jones was on the cheap.  If Kaepernick was an impact player he would be signed somewhere.  He's a backup and not likely a bargain.

Should our society be able to get past a guy venting his frustrations and expressing his opinions without getting out our torches and pitchforks?  Yes.  We aren't that society and the owners know it.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I meant for most of us here.  I am under the impression Jones grew up in a rough place.  Could be wrong, just an assumption.  Some here may have had it worse.  I bet most did not.

None the less, you posted a quote from me out of context from a different thread?  You also refer to me in the third person?  I'm right here.  You can address me directly.  What is wrong with you?  

Woah there, take a deep breath.  That was a quote from Mike Brown you had posted.  I was really quoting him, not you.

Otherwise I stand by my statement - there are plenty of people in this world who have dealt with much worse shit and aren't 33 year old millionaire pro athletes.  What's more, nobody gives half a shit about their horrible childhood when it's a random 19-year old whose life is effectively ruined for doing half the shit Adam Jones has pulled.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Woah there, take a deep breath.  That was a quote from Mike Brown you had posted.  I was really quoting him, not you.

Otherwise I stand by my statement - there are plenty of people in this world who have dealt with much worse shit and aren't 33 year old millionaire pro athletes.  What's more, nobody gives half a shit about their horrible childhood when it's a random 19-year old whose life is effectively ruined for doing half the shit Adam Jones has pulled.

I was not sure where that quote came from, but I possibly could have posted it.  How was anyone to know it came from Mike Brown?  

We are all products of our environment.  It doesn't excuse his actions, but can explain them.  

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I was not sure where that quote came from, but I possibly could have posted it.  How was anyone to know it came from Mike Brown?  

It was in the article you posted originally:

"''I like him personally,'' Brown said. ''I admire his energy, I admire his courage, I admire a lot of things about him. He didn't come up the easy way, believe me. If any of us had come up that way, I wonder where we'd be. But anyway, he has misstepped from time to time.''

Just now, T-Dub said:

It was in the article you posted originally:

"''I like him personally,'' Brown said. ''I admire his energy, I admire his courage, I admire a lot of things about him. He didn't come up the easy way, believe me. If any of us had come up that way, I wonder where we'd be. But anyway, he has misstepped from time to time.''

OK.  I get it.  My apologies for the response.  It was confusing to me.

Just now, UncleEarl said:

We are all products of our environment.  It doesn't excuse his actions, but can explain them.  

Explaining them is almost the same as excusing them because bad circumstances in childhood breeds sympathy in humans, therefore excusing actions that no doubt in a court of law, would be brought up as a cause for said actions. It's all bullshit. Pac might be a great guy in normal circumstances, maybe he's a complete douche. His problems are alcohol, and controlling his emotions, both on and off the field. That's it. He has anger issues. But a portion of that when funneled into football is why we like him; he's fiery, emotional and plays his ass off. Double edged sword, just like Burfict. Kinda.

1 minute ago, Bunghole said:

Explaining them is almost the same as excusing them because bad circumstances in childhood breeds sympathy in humans, therefore excusing actions that no doubt in a court of law, would be brought up as a cause for said actions. It's all bullshit. Pac might be a great guy in normal circumstances, maybe he's a complete douche. His problems are alcohol, and controlling his emotions, both on and off the field. That's it. He has anger issues. But a portion of that when funneled into football is why we like him; he's fiery, emotional and plays his ass off. Double edged sword, just like Burfict. Kinda.

I disagree.  There is a big difference in understanding why someone does something and accepting it.  Big part of parenthood, IMO.  I understand why my kids do things they shouldn't, but it doesn't mean I tolerate it.  

Don't think Burfict has had any off the field issues.  He just has emotional control issues on the field, like Jones.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I disagree.  There is a big difference in understanding why someone does something and accepting it.  Big part of parenthood, IMO.  I understand why my kids do things they shouldn't, but it doesn't mean I tolerate it.  

Don't think Burfict has had any off the field issues.  He just has emotional control issues on the field, like Jones.

Perhaps. Would you agree that the NFL isn't a good substitute parent and does in fact tolerate behavior detrimental to the game?

Just now, Bunghole said:

Perhaps. Would you agree that the NFL isn't a good substitute parent and does in fact tolerate behavior detrimental to the game?

Yep.  If they think the player makes them more money than they cost them in embarrassment they sure do.  

Archived