Marvin Theory

I've been thinking about Marvin and his contract. I think it's likely that if Marvin doesn't win a playoff game this year then he won't be the coach of the Bengals anymore. I also doubt that he'll get another shot at head coach right away but I do think he'll get another coaching job.  Defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns and his good buddy Hue. Son of a bitch the idea keeps me up at night. What worries me even more though is that we have a couple players going into their final years with one of them being the heart of our Defense. If Marvin took over the defense in Cleveland and Burfict hit the open market, fuck me. 

Why would that keep you up at night? Marvin has had plenty of chances to do something with this team. It would be entirely understandable to go a new direction if we don't win a playoff game or two this season.

If we lose another WC game, I don't think the other 31 teams would be scared of the idea that Marvin could possibly end up in Cleveland. I mean, oh my, the only coach to ever go 0-7 (0-8 in our scenario) is going to go coach defense for the perennial losers?! Someone hand the Browns the SB trophy ahead of time if that happens. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Mike and Marvin are practically Siamese Twins at this point.  I think it will take a lot more than just not winning a playoff game for Marvin to be "fired".

This ☝🏽  Unfortunately.

Marvin will leave on his own terms like Bill Tiger Johnson and Sam Wyche.

Also not impossible he stay with the team in some capacity after this retirement.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Why would that keep you up at night? Marvin has had plenty of chances to do something with this team. It would be entirely understandable to go a new direction if we don't win a playoff game or two this season.

If we lose another WC game, I don't think the other 31 teams would be scared of the idea that Marvin could possibly end up in Cleveland. I mean, oh my, the only coach to ever go 0-7 (0-8 in our scenario) is going to go coach defense for the perennial losers?! Someone hand the Browns the SB trophy ahead of time if that happens. 

I was joking about keeping me up at night. I sleep pretty good other than having to be at work by 430 AM. Marvin at one point lead a record setting defense and who knows what he could do in that role again. I think it's possible that he doesn't get retained after this year especially if we have another losing season. I'm more concerned about Burfict following Marvin and it would be brutal if he followed him to a rival. Hopefully VB gets extended during training camp like he should. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Mike and Marvin are practically Siamese Twins at this point.  I think it will take a lot more than just not winning a playoff game for Marvin to be "fired".

I agree mostly but say the team goes out and misses the playoffs, I can't imagine Mike and Marvin want to have another press conference like that my had back when Palmer went awol. 

24 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

I was joking about keeping me up at night. I sleep pretty good other than having to be at work by 430 AM. Marvin at one point lead a record setting defense and who knows what he could do in that role again. I think it's possible that he doesn't get retained after this year especially if we have another losing season. I'm more concerned about Burfict following Marvin and it would be brutal if he followed him to a rival. Hopefully VB gets extended during training camp like he should. 

Well yeah I assumed that was meant figuratively, I'm just not so concerned with Marvin going to Cleveland as if that's going to put them over the top and make them learn how to magically win games. I'd be a lot more worried if Cleveland finds a mediocre QB to employ more so than an OK to good coach going back to being a DC.

I agree that I'd rather not see Burfict anywhere else in the AFCN, or the NFL really. Would be nice to lock him up with another multi year deal.

I'm 100% fine with Marvin not being here if we don't go on a playoff run this season, but I don't see any reason he'd be fired if he wasn't after 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

A story was posted as another topic and here was what I thought was interesting...

"Brown said he has a good relationship with Lewis and acknowledged that the one-year contract status will give him added pressure this season. He noted that it's not the first time Lewis had completed a contract with the Bengals.

''Sometimes it was an additional prod,'' Brown said. ''We all know how it went last year. We all wish it had gone better. So maybe we'll see a better year this year and things will sort out then.''

Lewis declined to say anything more than Brown did about his contract status."

---

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1338977-bengals-owner-defends-decision-to-keep-adam-jones

If you add that blurb with the one Mikey saying it was his decision and his alone to keep Adam Jones after his latest arrest I am beginning to wonder if Marvin really has Mikey's ear as much as is thought around here.  I am sure they have a good and amicable working relationship and Marvin might have a little more opinion in Bengal matters but it is still "i am the owner and your just the coach" relationship and will always be that way.

The Brown family think of themselves as real football royalty along the lines of the Rooney's and Mara's.  I am not sure the Brown's especially Mike would ever stoop low enough to become that close to just a coach like Marvin.  Duke Tobin with his Dad and uncle being in the NFL a long time has a better chance to being closer to Mike Brown than Marvin will.

Just my thoughts, I could be way off base.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

If Marvin could stay here as long as he wanted then he would already have a contract extension.

On 7/26/2017 at 6:31 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Because Marvin is an insanely good coach and DC and has done a ton with a major handicap (Mike Brown).  Marvin has never been able to have his 53 guys, only his draft picks, retain guys he wanted to pay or go out and get FA's he wanted to get.  He's done a hell of a lot with a lot of crap that other coaches don't have to deal with.  He's not perfect and has his faults but there is a reason he's thought of highly by the other coaches and organizations.  I don't think he'd go to Cleveland though.

2 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Because Marvin is an insanely good coach and DC and has done a ton with a major handicap (Mike Brown).  Marvin has never been able to have his 53 guys, only his draft picks, retain guys he wanted to pay or go out and get FA's he wanted to get.  He's done a hell of a lot with a lot of crap that other coaches don't have to deal with.  He's not perfect and has his faults but there is a reason he's thought of highly by the other coaches and organizations.  I don't think he'd go to Cleveland though.

Thanks, Peggy.

Marvin Lewis has a job in the NFL as long as he wants one.   Maybe not as a HC but as a GM, scout, VP, DC.   He plays everything so close to the vest it would be a lot of fun to hear him break down stuff on TV. I guess it pisses some folks off but I like his dry humor. 

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Marvin Lewis has a job in the NFL as long as he wants one.   Maybe not as a HC but as a GM, scout, VP, DC.   He plays everything so close to the vest it would be a lot of fun to hear him break down stuff on TV. I guess it pisses some folks off but I like his dry humor. 

I do too.  If he had Tom Brady at QB for the last 15 years everyone would think his dry humor was brilliant.

You would think that the people who endlessly wail and rent their garments over our lack of activity in free agency would acknowledge that Marvin is functioning under a big handicap.

But the same people who claim we suck at drafting and don't sign any good free agents also blast Marvin for being unable to win with "one of the most talented rosters in the league".

11 hours ago, fredtoast said:

You would think that the people who endlessly wail and rent their garments over our lack of activity in free agency would acknowledge that Marvin is functioning under a big handicap.

But the same people who claim we suck at drafting and don't sign any good free agents also blast Marvin for being unable to win with "one of the most talented rosters in the league".

I still wonder if there's any mileage on the "I'd rather retire than play in Cincinnati" type shit from when Elvis Grbac (ELVIS GRBAC!!! LOL) said it. How much has Cincinnati's reputation across the league in terms of FA's has changed? We're notoriously (by reputation) cheap, have shitty weather, a now older stadium with no bonafides to prop it up (like Lambeau), no practice bubble and we lack many of the amenities of bigger market teams. Plus we have the worst playoff record in NFL history. Does any of this still matter to players today? Or is it that we simply do not pursue FA's, and if we do, we lowball them contract-wise?

23 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I still wonder if there's any mileage on the "I'd rather retire than play in Cincinnati" type shit from when Elvis Grbac (ELVIS GRBAC!!! LOL) said it. How much has Cincinnati's reputation across the league in terms of FA's has changed? We're notoriously (by reputation) cheap, have shitty weather, a now older stadium with no bonafides to prop it up (like Lambeau), no practice bubble and we lack many of the amenities of bigger market teams. Plus we have the worst playoff record in NFL history. Does any of this still matter to players today? Or is it that we simply do not pursue FA's, and if we do, we lowball them contract-wise?

I do not think it is coincidence the Bengals have not won a playoff game since the death of Paul Brown and soon after the start of Free Agency.

7 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I do not think it is coincidence the Bengals have not won a playoff game since the death of Paul Brown and soon after the start of Free Agency.

Speaking of coincidence.

From death of Paul Brown (1991) through 2003.  Bengals rank dead last in the league in win percentage (.286) and playoff appearances.

From '03 through '16 Bengals rank 13th in winning percentage and 8th in playoff appearances.

I do believe there's a balance between drafting and FA, and I also believe the Bengals have drafted well over the last several years and are pretty proactive in keeping "their guys" with early extensions, etc. That said, I don't want the Bengals to be insane with FA like Dan Snyder or anything, but a few here and there would certainly boost fan's enthusiasm as well as bolster the roster. I think the Minter signing is VERY important for this defense and I hope he stays healthy and plays like he did the last few years. We could use a vet in the LB corps not named Burfict or Maualuga.

Archived