Monster year for Burfict coming!

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I hope they send Burdock a message by getting him under contract for another few years REAL soon.  And a big one.  He's earned it.

A contract will get done before the season starts.  Just go back and look at when the Bengals usually wrap these up.

Geno signed his extension in September 2013

Dalton signed his in August 2014.

AJ and Whitworth signed extensions in September of 2015

7 hours ago, schotzee said:

Absolutely! Damn, I spelled his name wrong! Lol

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

A contract will get done before the season starts.  Just go back and look at when the Bengals usually wrap these up.

Geno signed his extension in September 2013

Dalton signed his in August 2014.

AJ and Whitworth signed extensions in September of 2015

OMG!  Do we actually agree on something?:eek2:

On 7/28/2017 at 11:40 AM, schotzee said:

Looks like they were maybe sending him a message adding speedy guys.

And he is coming into a season without injury or drama.  It is very likely his knee is much better now than it even was a year ago.  When I ran into him last year at Voelker's art show a guy asked him about it and he said it didn't cause him pain anymore but it was still a hurdle at times.

16 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

And he is coming into a season without injury or drama.  It is very likely his knee is much better now than it even was a year ago.  When I ran into him last year at Voelker's art show a guy asked him about it and he said it didn't cause him pain anymore but it was still a hurdle at times.

Even though many athletes have recovered fully from microfracture surgery their careers are never long.  We need to enjoy BUrfict while we have him.  Bengals have not had a lot of great LBs.  He could end upbeing our best ever.

The best thing for the team to do (barring any extreme changes over the next few weeks) would probably be to lock Burfict up right now and let Eifert and Bodine play the year out to earn their deals. I'd assume that's what the team has planned, I'm just wondering if they'd try to extend someone else if Burfict decides to attempt to raise his stock even more by waiting until next offseason to sign a deal.

Burfict is in the final year of a 4 year deal that only paid him $19 million.  At less than $5 million a year that was a huge bargain for us.  Vinny Rey makes over $3 million per.  Tez deserves to get paid well.  This will probably be his last big contract.

It is kind of hard to set the proper price for a 4-3 OLB because the top 3-4 OLBs are paid like elite pass rushing DEs.  But Burfict deserves at least $9 million a year.

14 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Burfict is in the final year of a 4 year deal that only paid him $19 million.  At less than $5 million a year that was a huge bargain for us.  Vinny Rey makes over $3 million per.  Tez deserves to get paid well.  This will probably be his last big contract.

It is kind of hard to set the proper price for a 4-3 OLB because the top 3-4 OLBs are paid like elite pass rushing DEs.  But Burfict deserves at least $9 million a year.

I've been back and forth on it, but I think Burfict could get paid like an elite ILB for his next contract. He's our MIKE in a lot of defensive formations and I'm sure his agent will let the team know how often he's in that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get $12M per like a Kuechly deal even though that was signed 2 years ago and contracts keep going up.

At the same time, this is an entirely unique situation since Burfict is an elite level 4-3 WLB that plays MIKE sometimes that's working on getting his 2nd extension and was recently suspended. There aren't really any apples to apples comparisons to look at. Lavonte David and Kiko Alonso are the only 2 even remotely comparable unless I'm missing someone, but even those have drastic differences. Anywhere between $8-$12M wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I guess the fact that he's only making about $4M this year and counts $4.725M against the cap could help bring the annual average down slightly with an extension rather than re-signing him as a free agent. Signing him to a 4 year, $40M extension right now would average out to just under $9M per year over the next 5 seasons. I'd say that's fair and makes sense for both sides.

Microfracture surgery is scary business and I cannot help but wonder if the Bengals will use it against him (even though their team doctor likely recommended the surgery) when negotiating the length of his contract. I actually don't think the Bengals will extend him during the season. I believe they will take a "wait and see" approach with him...which is fine by me because that kind of financial stress will bring out the very best he has left.

Archived