Munoz and Lapham on Ogbuehi

Everyone agrees that Ogbuehi looked like crap last year.  The big question is can he improve.  I don't think anyone would have been surprised if he had struggled as a rookie, but last year was his second in the league.  Based on this I have heard a lot of fans claim that he is a hopeless cause.  However I think the fact that he has never had a healthy training camp has really stunted his developement.  Once teams get into the regular season there are not a lot of full-speed on-field reps.  It is more about scheme and game planning for a specific opponent. 

While Ogbehi looked slow and weak it is possible that he simplky was not mentally ready for the full speed action.  If you hesitate or do not go full speed because you are not sure what you are doing it will make you look slow and weak.

So I was really happy to read this article http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Munoz-a-word-from-Canton-for-Ced/2e011876-6b0c-406d-989b-7c14b9f260f9

“The way I approached my whole career it’s all about technique and believing in technique. That’s confidence,” Munoz says. “It’s all about believing it. Trusting it.”

Dave Lapham, the man who started at left guard next to Munoz in the Bengals’ first Super Bowl and the Bengals’ long-time radio analyst, believes Ogbuehi is playing with more confidence in this his third season.

“Confidence.  I like that word,” Munoz says. “When you have confidence, you play fast, you’re quicker, you’re more decisive. You’re not hesitant. I like that word. You have to have confidence.”

Lapham keeps going back to Ogbuehi’s state of mind.  

“Ced is night and day when it comes to playing and mentally,” Lapham says. “I think he was broken last year. He couldn’t look you in the eye. A lot of it is mental and mentally he appears light years better.”

For Munoz, everything is mental.

In my opinion the play of the O-line will either make or break this team.  We have tons of talent and experience every wher else.  And LT is the most crucial position on the O-line.  Everyone who comments on Ogbuehi agrees that he is a great athlete, both strong and quick.  I just pray that he can master the mental part of the game.  If he does the Bengals will be one of the best teams ion the league.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

In my opinion the play of the O-line will either make or break this team.  We have tons of talent and experience every wher else.  And LT is the most crucial position on the O-line.  Everyone who comments on Ogbuehi agrees that he is a great athlete, both strong and quick.  I just pray that he can master the mental part of the game.  If he does the Bengals will be one of the best teams ion the league.

I agree. If the O-line can come together, I think we are in for a great year. The scary thing is if it doesn't...so many weapons could be all for naught. Should make for an interesting season, definitely looking forward to seeing how their progression as a unit goes.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

IMO last year, effectively was his rookie year. He was injured so much during his actual rookie year, I don't really count it. I expect a big leap this year from he and Fisher both. 

Even last year he was not healthy for training camp.  That makes a huge difference.  Once the season starts there is not a lot of work on technique or practice reps on the field.  It is mostly film work and game planning for a specific opponent.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Lapham said he was playing with more confidence this season?  We haven't even played a pre season game yet.

I'm guessing he's talking about what he has seen in training camp so far?

Either way I'm a wait and see on this, too much fluff during the preseason. Let's see it on the field.

58 minutes ago, snarkster said:

I so want to believe this because i think if he and Fisher can be solid (not even spectacular) the Bengals may be headed for a huge season.  I'll still need to see it to be convinced though.

Same.  I could believe that we've found a solid replacement for Whit, or that RT won't be a disaster, or that Smith or Hopkins or whoever will be ok at guard.

All three of those? That's a hard sell.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Same.  I could believe that we've found a solid replacement for Whit, or that RT won't be a disaster, or that Smith or Hopkins or whoever will be ok at guard.

All three of those? That's a hard sell.

I'm going to go ahead and go on record that all three of those things will come to pass in a manner in which the weapons on offense will be able to score...a LOT. John Ross is so fast that even with Dalton's super quick release Ross will be 30 yards downfield by that time. I am sure the offensive coaches will adjust the playbook according to what they see out of the oline in training camp and in the preseason games. I actually think we'll do well in that area and win 12 games again. Mixon will be a HUGE key.

56 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I'm going to go ahead and go on record that all three of those things will come to pass in a manner in which the weapons on offense will be able to score...a LOT. John Ross is so fast that even with Dalton's super quick release Ross will be 30 yards downfield by that time. I am sure the offensive coaches will adjust the playbook according to what they see out of the oline in training camp and in the preseason games. I actually think we'll do well in that area and win 12 games again. Mixon will be a HUGE key.

Is Ross practicing?

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Is Ross practicing?

I don't know. I don't think so. The point with Ced though is that Munoz is right...unless he's just completely soft, which I doubt since he was an NFL first round pick and came from a decent football school (A&M), he just needs to mentally adjust and overcome his injury fears. People forget that in addition to his pre-draft ACL injury, he tore his rotator cuff playing against Philadelphia. I just hope he isn't injury prone.

And speaking of Ross, I worry about the same thing....dude is SLIGHT of frame at only 180lbs and he is what, 5'11"? We've got to do whatever we can to keep him from getting crushed and hurt. Gio and his injuries because he's also small ring to mind.

17 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Marvin Lewis on Ogbuehi: "I saw some good things out there today" and "I continue to see improvement every week".

And it he has not said that yet, he will.

It's your optimism and objectivity that I truly appreciate!😁

From Bengals.com:

"But the Bengals are still experimenting on the offensive line, where their biggest question of the offseason has become the biggest concern of training camp. The group had played pretty well until Friday night, when the all three units were stunned in allowing double-digit sacks on about 50 plays.

The line rebounded Saturday to play better than that, but offensive line Coach Paul Alexander said he’s not done figuring out who are his top five players. Trey Hopkins, a fourth-year veteran who has played in one game, has become one of the more consistent linemen and in three straight series Saturday he played right guard, center, and left guard for the white team."

" When they watch it on film, it may not count because left tackle Cedric Ogbuehi didn’t touch end Chris Smith coming off the edge and may have sacked Dalton."

Hoo-boy.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

From Bengals.com:

"But the Bengals are still experimenting on the offensive line, where their biggest question of the offseason has become the biggest concern of training camp. The group had played pretty well until Friday night, when the all three units were stunned in allowing double-digit sacks on about 50 plays.

The line rebounded Saturday to play better than that, but offensive line Coach Paul Alexander said he’s not done figuring whether that is a hole in the ground or indeed his own asshole

FTFY.

INB4 rotating offensive line

Archived