Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill suffers apparent knee injury during fall

Montana Bengal

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20235178/miami-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-suffers-injury-awkward-fall

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill suffers apparent knee injury during fall

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill suffered what appeared to be a left knee injury Thursday. A source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the team is "concerned."

Tannehill fell awkwardly on the sideline while scrambling and didn't get up. Trainers looked at his left knee, which has a brace on it, before taking the quarterback inside. Tannehill suffered a sprained ACL and MCL in the same knee last season and didn't require surgery.

"I just saw him kind of buckle and go down. I didn't see any details," offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen said after practice. "... There was no contact on the play. That was all I really saw."

Said tight end MarQueis Gray: "I saw it, but I have no idea what the outcome will be. We're just praying for him. We don't know what's going to happen."

Tannehill is coming off his best and most efficient season in 2016, going 8-5 as a starter while posting a career-best 93.5 passer rating. Backup quarterback Matt Moore, who went 2-2 while filling in for Tannehill last year, took over first-team reps for the Dolphins for the remainder of practice.

"The initial reaction is just be the next man up," Christensen said. "You gotta keep going. You gotta keep guys going and you can't let the air go out of practice. That's football. [Injuries] are going to happen somewhere in this season. It's going to happen somewhere in this game."

This is the second key injury for the Dolphins in the first week of training camp. In addition to Tannehill, Pro Bowl running back Jay Ajayi suffered a concussion during Monday's practice and is currently in the concussion protocol.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article165395732.html

Miami Dolphins’ Tannehill to miss ‘significant’ time

BY BARRY JACKSON AND ARMANDO SALGUERO
bjackson@miamiherald.com

AUGUST 04, 2017 9:01 AM

Regardless of whether Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill opts for surgery or not, he will miss “significant” time with his left knee injury, according to league sources.

The Dolphins and Tannehill will decide in the coming days whether Tannehill will opt for weeks of rest and treatment (potentially six weeks or even two months) with the intent of playing this season or instead undergo season-ending knee surgery.

Bo Hardegree, Miami Dolphins quarterback coach, says he is confident in his backup quarterbacks but isn't "going there yet", after Tannehill left practice with a possible injury.

Several doctors will be consulted, including renowned orthopedic surgeon James Andrews and prominent South Florida based surgeon John Uribe, but the team and Tannehill do not feel any pressure to make a quick decision.

After Tannehill sustained a partially torn ACL and MCL last December, Tannehill - after consulting with doctors - underwent stem-cell treatment but decided it was worth the risk to eschew surgery that would have caused him to miss much of this coming season.

Archived