Cut/waived/signed

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I thought BT would at least get into a rotation with Peko @ NT but never saw much from him.  There & now safety are the only spots on defense I have any questions about.

I know he played nose here and there, but wasn't he the one that played a lot of 3 tech when Geno went down a few years ago? I actually thought he did OK in that role (from what I can remember) and could have had a decent future as a backup 3T. I'm pretty sure the Bengals have had him listed in both spots on the depth chart so that doesn't always give a clear answer there.

I think the moves on the d-line (letting Peko walk, cutting Thompson) just mean that the Bengals are serious about Billings as the future NT and Glasgow as the backup 3T now.

7 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I know he played nose here and there, but wasn't he the one that played a lot of 3 tech when Geno went down a few years ago? I actually thought he did OK in that role (from what I can remember) and could have had a decent future as a backup 3T. I'm pretty sure the Bengals have had him listed in both spots on the depth chart so that doesn't always give a clear answer there.

I think the moves on the d-line (letting Peko walk, cutting Thompson) just mean that the Bengals are serious about Billings as the future NT and Glasgow as the backup 3T now.

He definitely played both, think I may have even seen him at end once or twice.   I was more interested in him at NT because I think he looked more like one & it's easier to find 3's.  Not of Geno's level of course, but it seemed like Peko rarely came off the field outside of some long-yardage situations because they didn't trust anyone else there.  I haven't noticed Billings in what little I've seen of the preseason, but I haven't seen anyone complaining about him either FWIW.  Who else have they been playing at NT?

8 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I KNEW they would regret not bringing back Margus Hunt.  But would Marvin listen to me?  Nooooooo.  He never does.  Fool.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He definitely played both, think I may have even seen him at end once or twice.   I was more interested in him at NT because I think he looked more like one & it's easier to find 3's.  Not of Geno's level of course, but it seemed like Peko rarely came off the field outside of some long-yardage situations because they didn't trust anyone else there.  I haven't noticed Billings in what little I've seen of the preseason, but I haven't seen anyone complaining about him either FWIW.  Who else have they been playing at NT?

Billings has been playing, he's a very interesting guy to watch. He needs coached up but looks to have insane potential. The good news is that the technique and athletic ability is there, he just needs to learn where to be and when to be there on a more regular basis.

Tupou and Sims have been getting the other NT reps. I could be forgetting someone but I know I've seen both of them there this preseason. Pretty sure Sims is the "starting" NT if the season started today. Billings will see plenty of time though and should gradually transition into, at worst, an average NFL starter with huge upside.

As a SEC fan I saw Sims play a lot in college.  I had him mocked to us high in the second round and was thrilled when we got him in the third.  He had a very quick first step for a guy his size.  He is getting some age on him, but I am not that worried with Sims at NT.

Hopefully Billings will ball out, but he is the most over-hyped draft pick since P.J. Dawson.

Billings will end up playing a lot at some point this season.  I'm a Pat Sims fan, but his health has always been an issue and kept him from getting more snaps.  Age doesn't help that problem.  Hope Billings is ready for the workload when the time comes.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

As a SEC fan I saw Sims play a lot in college.  I had him mocked to us high in the second round and was thrilled when we got him in the third.  He had a very quick first step for a guy his size.  He is getting some age on him, but I am not that worried with Sims at NT.

Hopefully Billings will ball out, but he is the most over-hyped draft pick since P.J. Dawson.

I was never big on Dawson but I'm all aboard the Billings hype train. Dude is super young so he has plenty of time to learn, and as you mentioned Sims is capable of handling the load this year while Billings adjusts to the pros.

I'm not right 100% of the time on the guys we draft and how I feel about them, but I'll be more surprised if I'm wrong about Billings more so than any of my other opinions about guys we haven't seen play yet. I really think he'll be an average pro at worst within just a year or two. The dude has amazing talent he just needs some coaching at this level. He's already put flashes of what he can do out there in preseason against starting caliber players, it's just a matter of him being able to do it regularly without as many mistakes in between great plays.

Stealers trade for 49ers TE Vance McDonald...

The San Francisco 49ers have traded tight end Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick to the Pittsburgh Stealers in exchange for a fourth-round pick, the team announced Tuesday.

The Stealers have been searching for help at tight end since Heath Miller retired after the 2015 season. Jesse James started at tight end last season in Pittsburgh, but produced just 338 yards on 39 catches with three touchdowns.

McDonald signed a three-year, $19.65-million contract with the 49ers last December after putting up a career-high 391 yards on 24 catches with four touchdowns through 11 games in 2016. He led the 49ers in touchdown catches last season.

While the Bengals start a 7th round safety with a name no one can pronounce.

2 hours ago, whodey365 said:

Browns cut CB Joe Haden

Beat me to it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-cut-two-time-pro-bowl-cornerback-joe-haden-130016407.html

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

I hope he doesn't go to the Stealers. Supposedly they are interested.

Wouldn't doubt it.  Is he worth a kick of the tires here?  At safety, even?

Would be be an upgrade over the 7th round pick with the unpronounceable name that begins with F and sounds like one of the cast of extras on Game of Thrones?

I would be OK with bringing him in just for a look-see if nothing else.  And to see if the price is right.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah there was a time at least when he looked like the best player on the Browns defense. 

46 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Beat me to it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-cut-two-time-pro-bowl-cornerback-joe-haden-130016407.html

Wouldn't doubt it.  Is he worth a kick of the tires here?  At safety, even?

Would be be an upgrade over the 7th round pick with the unpronounceable name that begins with F and sounds like one of the cast of extras on Game of Thrones?

I would be OK with bringing him in just for a look-see if nothing else.  And to see if the price is right.

Yea, I'd definitely be for bringing him in for whatever db position. Isn't he like one of only a couple guys that can hold is own against AJ with his style of play? Would be great from the standpoint of AJ going up against him in practice everyday me thinks.

7 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Yea, I'd definitely be for bringing him in for whatever db position. Isn't he like one of only a couple guys that can hold is own against AJ with his style of play? Would be great from the standpoint of AJ going up against him in practice everyday me thinks.

Question being whether he was due some ridiculous back-loaded salary or has he simply lost it? Dude's only 28 & no mention of any health concerns on the Browns website so it does sound like a money thing.

There have been some rumblings they wanted Haden to renegotiate his contract and he wouldn't.  He has missed a bunch of games the last couple of years.  I think their feeling was he is a good CB just not a $11 million CB plus they were on the hook for over $20 million the next 2 years.  They tried to trade him but evidently no one else thought he was worth $11 million either.  They are thinking if he is not the future cut him now and be done with it.

The Stealers are releasing running back Fitzgerald Toussaint, according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. Toussaint is the second Stealers' running back to be released on Friday, as the team also parted with Knile Davis. 

Also Laverne Bell shows up after skipping preseason.  Lazy bitch.

32 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

The Stealers are releasing running back Fitzgerald Toussaint, according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. Toussaint is the second Stealers' running back to be released on Friday, as the team also parted with Knile Davis. 

Also Laverne Bell shows up after skipping preseason.  Lazy bitch.

Does that mean they're keeping Terrelle Watson? So he and Cobi Hamilton can make aggravating plays against us.

Archived