Thoughts or takeaways from last night's game?

The O-line was ok. Dalton threw a pick at end of first drive just outside endzone. Green looked good. Tampa 1st team offense moved the ball on us. Refs weren't calling Evans for pushing off our DBs. Willis and Lawson showed some pass rush along with Chris Smith. Mixon and Tre Carson both ran well. Jordan Evans was active at LB. 

Beautiful:

Mixon

No injuries

Win

Good:

Driskel

The O-line was solid.  Not great, but if they play like that all year we will be fine.

Jeremy Hill ran like he was running for his job.

We have some decent looking cheer leaders this year. :lol: 

Red zone D

All kicks were made

Smith

Bad:

Tampa moved the ball well on our first team D

Red Zone INT by Dalton

Ugly

Tampa's kicker

Watched the game 3 times so far.   The last one I slow motioned the runs.   Interesting to watch our 2nd year player Christian Westerman #63.  Success in the run and pass protection.   I thought his weakness last year was pass protection but do not see problems this year.   Can't wait to see the growth this year. 

Mixon, going to be interesting on how the Bengals work him into the game.   Looks like the Bengals won't keep him in the game long if he can't pass protect.   Read between the lines on what Tobin mentioned. 

We can only hope that Tobin is accurate on his comparison of Ross and Marvin Harrison.   I'd even settle for a 75 percent Marvin Harrison.   25 percent Ross... 

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Receivers can usually get away with a bicep flex or shoulder to shoulder bump. But Evans was blatantly using his hands to shove our guys. I was surprised it wasn't called. 

To be fair though, they let the defenders be handsy too.

11 minutes ago, Numbers said:

We can only hope that Tobin is accurate on his comparison of Ross and Marvin Harrison.   I'd even settle for a 75 percent Marvin Harrison.   25 percent Ross... 

John Ross is like Marvin Harrison if Marvin Harrison was an injured rookie who had yet to take an NFL snap.  

TBH I think drafting an injured WR 9th overall was foolish so don't mind me.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

John Ross is like Marvin Harrison if Marvin Harrison was an injured rookie who had yet to take an NFL snap.  

Only if you think he spends his entire career injured.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Only if you think he spends his entire career injured.

I doubt it, but it's a possibility and that's the issue.  

I'm chalking it up to a weak draft class overall, but generally I am against drafting anyone in the first round that's not healthy and ready to play. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

My worry is that he can't beat press coverage more than the fact that he was/is injured. He blows against bump n run, and these NFL DBs are on a different level than what he was up against in college.

I'll gladly eat crow if Ross is a superstar but this is the first 1st round pick I've complained about since Keith Rivers. I just don't think he's going to be very good.

19 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

My worry is that he can't beat press coverage more than the fact that he was/is injured.

I didn't like that from the scouting report, either, but at least that's something that can be taught.  It's also a risky proposition for a DC if Ross is really as fast as all that. I also admit that the NFL/Bengals doctors are probably better at diagnosing Ross's long-term health than I am.  My complaint is simple opportunity cost with a top 10 draft pick.  Not to be hard-headed about it, but that means Ross could be a HoF'er one day and I still don't like the pick - as a draft pick.  The player himself is still a question mark, as far as that goes, and I hope he gives the offense the vertical threat they need.

Just now, T-Dub said:

I didn't like that from the scouting report, either, but at least that's something that can be taught.  I also admit that the NFL/Bengals doctors are probably better at diagnosing Ross's long-term health than I am.  My complaint is simple opportunity cost with a top 10 draft pick.

Right on brother same here. We're a team with top 10 potential taking a risk that you'd typically see from a team trying to "rebuild". I dunno, I don't love it. Our immediate team weaknesses didn't make sense to take top 10 but I don't know if that fully justifies John Ross @ 9 overall.

Went to edit to add this, but I hate doing that after someone's replied cuz that's shady:

RE: Ross vs press coverage - that's a risky proposition for a DB if Ross plays as fast as his 40 time.  Unless he's getting pancaked or jammed into the Gatorade every play he'll be a threat.  That is, once he takes the field.  

Water under the bridge now but I was hoping they'd trade down & get more picks in rounds 2-4 where they've been striking gold lately.

My takes - 

Willis was flat out impressive last night. He was exactly what his scouting tape said.... A high motor guy with an awesome first step who needs to learn more technique. Yes, he got pressure against second teamers, but he did from both sides of the line, and no one else was close to his production. Even more impressive was some of the plays he ran down. On one running play he was washed out to the right, and assisted on the tackle 10 yards away. Teach that kid to vary his moves, and he's a steal.

For all of the hype about Lawson, didn't see it. 

Ogubuehi was better.... But not good enough. He was lousy in the run game and got beat around the edge a few times on speed rushes. Fisher played well. Both Westerman and Hopkins showed VERY well.

Minter and Vigil looked solid. If Burfict is back to form, LB's should be very good this year.

Oh, yeah, Tyler Boyd is still on this team. Aside from one kick he fielded, where the hell was he?

Billings showed his power and athleticism, but also played like crap. He was going where the guard wanted him to go and had guys running past him even when he had good penetration. He needs to work on that football IQ.

Michael Johnson... Dear lord. He was AWFUL. He needs to hope that 3 or 4 guys get injured or he's going to be (should be?) bagging groceries in October. You HAVE to get production out of your blindside rusher. Our starters go zero pressure on the QB, and made it too easy for Winston.

DeShawn Williams just plain has a knack for making the announcers say his name. Dude just makes plays. I was hoping to see something out of Ryan Glasgow, but I'm not sure he took a snap. 

D-Line is going to be the toughest position come cut down day.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I doubt it, but it's a possibility and that's the issue.  

I'm chalking it up to a weak draft class overall, but generally I am against drafting anyone in the first round that's not healthy and ready to play. 

Seemed a case of tunnel vision to me.  They were gonna put lightning across from Green and fuck any other considerations.  We'll see how wise they were.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

his production has been bad for years...

This just is not true.   This is where MJ ranked among DEs last year.

10th in stuffs (tackle for loss on running play), 
12th in solo tackles, 
14th in tipped passes, 
15th in QB hurries
19th in total tackles. 

Please don't start squealing "Fred Toast thinks MJ is a Pro Bowler!!!".  All I am doing is showing that MJ is grosssly underrated by a lot of people around here.  His salary ranks in the mid 30's for DEs, and I think that is a good value.  Of course I would love to see one of the young guys blow up and become a Pro Bowl talent, but Johnson's production will not be as easy to replace as a lot of people think.  He is no star but he is a solid NFL starter.

12th in solo tackles, 
14th in tipped passes, 
15th in QB hurries
19th in total tackles. 

Please don't start squealing "Fred Toast thinks MJ is a Pro Bowler!!!".  All I am doing is showing that MJ is grosssly underrated by a lot of people around here.  His salary ranks in the mid 30's for DEs, and I think that is a good value.  Of course I would love to see one of the young guys blow up and become a Pro Bowl talent, but Johnson's production will not be as easy to replace as a lot of people think.  He is no star but he is a solid NFL starter.

All fair points.

13 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

12th in solo tackles, 
14th in tipped passes, 
15th in QB hurries
19th in total tackles. 

Stats are good, but when you watch MJ in the pass rush he fails the eye test.  Rarely seems to get pressure.  The Bengals keep drafting DEs for a reason.  It isn't to replace or phase out Dunlop. 

What's MJ due this year and how much of that $ do we still have to cover if he's cut?

I've said before I think we may have too much salary tied up in the DL for the way the NFL is calling games these days.  Pass rushers routinely get tackled to the ground without a holding call.  I don't think our DL disappears in playoff games because they woke up that morning and decided to suck all of a sudden.

Question from Friday night's game...

The refs threw a flag against a Tampex Bay offensive lineman in either their second or possibly first possession for being downfield on a passing play.

They then picked up the flag saying he was not downfield illegally but was still engaged with a Bengal.

Who was the Bengal who was beaten and blown off the line so badly?

Archived