Thoughts or takeaways from last night's game?

4 hours ago, ccartman2 said:

I don't recall many times he changed the game with a great return.

Rams in '11.  6-6 tie late in 3rd quarter.  Tates 56 yard punt return sets up 12 yard td drive.  Bengals win by 7.

Bills '13.  30 punt return in overtime sets up game winning FG.

Remember the epic shootout between the 8-1 Bengals and the 7-2 cards in '15?  Arizona kicked a FG to take a 10 point lead with just 6:30 left in the fourth quarter.  Tate ignited our comeback by returning the ensuing kickoff from 8 yards deep in the end zone (classic BT move) all the way to midfield.

But biggest was against Denver (11-3) in prime time '14.  We had blown a 13 point lead and were losing in the fourth quarter on the road.  Tate's 49 yard punt return to the Broncos 12 sets up game winning FG.

^ yep he was always good for one of those here and there, thanks for bringing up some specific memories there Freddy.

Another good one was during our route of the Jets back in 2013. I'm not sure how much it changed the outcome, but we were up by 2 scores at the time and were likely planning to take a couple kneel downs to take the game into halftime with around 1-2 minutes left. Tate brought one back 70+ yards after a Jets FG to set up yet another TD that gave us 3 scores on them.

Tate was also a capable outside WR in a pinch, nothing stellar, but serviceable when you're talking the 5th WR active on gameday. 

Rams in '11.  6-6 tie late in 3rd quarter.  Tates 56 yard punt return sets up 12 yard td drive.  Bengals win by 7.

Bills '13.  30 punt return in overtime sets up game winning FG.

Remember the epic shootout between the 8-1 Bengals and the 7-2 cards in '15?  Arizona kicked a FG to take a 10 point lead with just 6:30 left in the fourth quarter.  Tate ignited our comeback by returning the ensuing kickoff from 8 yards deep in the end zone (classic BT move) all the way to midfield.

But biggest was against Denver (11-3) in prime time '14.  We had blown a 13 point lead and were losing in the fourth quarter on the road.  Tate's 49 yard punt return to the Broncos 12 sets up game winning FG.

Could be why I said many. And what about 2015 and 2016? 4 times in 6 years isn't greatness. Still he was serviceable and did a decent job. Wasn't trying to bash him but they should be looking for every opportunity to upgrade the team. Hopefully they have.

1 hour ago, ccartman2 said:

Could be why I said many. And what about 2015 and 2016? 4 times in 6 years isn't greatness. Still he was serviceable and did a decent job. Wasn't trying to bash him but they should be looking for every opportunity to upgrade the team. Hopefully they have.

Well he wasn't on the team in 2016 haha but I gotcha at least on this one.

Tate is in a long line of average to good but not great players that led to a lot of fans relentlessly bashing him unfairly which gave the super Bengals defender fans ammo to bash "the other side" of the fan base. 

Being a Bengals fan on message boards is a lot like politics. Most people are on 1 of 2 sides and there aren't many in between.

Well he wasn't on the team in 2016 haha but I gotcha at least on this one.

Tate is in a long line of average to good but not great players that led to a lot of fans relentlessly bashing him unfairly which gave the super Bengals defender fans ammo to bash "the other side" of the fan base. 

Being a Bengals fan on message boards is a lot like politics. Most people are on 1 of 2 sides and there aren't many in between.

Doesn't bode well for this years return team then. He wasn't missed but wasn't like "thank god he is gone either". I was pretty absent from last year so who returned kicks

7 hours ago, ccartman2 said:

Doesn't bode well for this years return team then. He wasn't missed but wasn't like "thank god he is gone either". I was pretty absent from last year so who returned kicks

UDFA rookie Alex Erickson. 

He had a higher avg per return than Tate ever had in his career and also fumbled zero times on kickoffs. He made a handful of rookie mistakes but the good news is he was an actual rookie so it's nothing to sweat. Tate would make rookie mistakes occasionally being a vet.

Erickson leaves a lot to be desired returning punts though. Nothing very memorable and has 3 fumbles to boot. Meh. He isn't a great WR prospect either. 

It'll be tough to keep making the team if he can't learn to return punts better or become a more stable emergency WR, but you also can't cut one of the best KR in the entire NFL from 2016 when he's this young. 

Archived