Thoughts or takeaways from last night's game?

3 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

You posts are nothing but bitching moaning and making childish personal insults about the Bengals players and coaches and other members here. 

I give what I get, otherwise what members have I insulted? 

As far as the players & coaches.. Well thank goodness you're here to defend them, oh brave Sir Lancel-not.  Heaven forbid someone suggest an unproven draft pick might not be a first-ballot HoF'er yet.

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

So much depends on whether the NFL begins to take notice of Ross in an Antonio sort of way. 

If if he starts showing up on Pepsi and BW-3 commercials, then we'll know Mike Mitchell won't be able to place a hand on him without a flag. 

Money.

On a related note, I am continually amazed at how laid-back and averse to the spotlight AJ seems to be. That's rare enough in any star athlete but for one of the best WR's in football it's incredible.  I actually find myself wishing he was a bit more out front so we didn't have Spitman Jones as the face of the franchise. It would be nice if AJ or Geno were who people thought of when they hear "Cincinnati Bengals" considering both of them have to be considered at least top 3 at their position.  Of course that doesn't fit the current "thug" narrative.

If it's gonna be like that though I'm happy to embrace Burdock as the classic "heel" character.  Be afraid mofos!

58 minutes ago, thawrench said:

Who was that ball to no other than Lafell who refuses to play defense when theres a wayward ball or even when he ran the wrong route. Exactly why Lafell needs to go, our young wide receivers like Cody core and Josh Malone will have better red zone play than Lafell

Sent from my SM-G935V using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

I'm not a huge fan of Lafell, but I'd like to have at least one veteran WR on the team besides AJ Green.  Ross/Malone are rookies, Core/Erickson are second year guys who got almost no playing time on offense as rookies, and while Boyd got plenty of playing time, but he's still pretty green.  I kind of like the Bengals plan of letting all those guys get one more year under their belts before sending Lafell on his way.

7 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Your hatred of Lafell is disturbing, especially since he was our second best WR last season (the role he was acquired for). He is a solid and reliable veteran receiver. 

There was another new dude that was around recently for a minute that would say wacky shit and had a huge hard on for saying how LaFell is the worst WR2 in the league.

His posting style was similar too with the terrible grammar, uber extreme statements with nothing in between, and just generally seemed like an unintelligent part of society.

Not saying he's the same guy, just seems like most n00b, less than bright Bengals fans tend to hate LaFell for some reason. 

Over the last 6 seasons only 14 WRs have averaged more than 50 catches per year and 14.0 per catch. Lafell is one of those guys.  Last year LaFell had 4 receptions of 40+ yards, that was 11th in the league and no other WR had more than 6.  

Don't know why so many people around here are down on him.  I think it has something to do with some fans hating to admit that the front office made a great move by signing LaFell so cheaply.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

LaFell is OK, but the hope would be that one of the new guys takes his job.  He's a vet, but one that wasn't loved by his previous teams.  I am suspect of his leadership capabilities.

To be fair, the Patriots don't love anybody not named Brady. I mean, they cut freaking Randy Moss right after he caught 13 TD's in a season (and caught 23 two seasons before that). 

14 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Over the last 6 seasons only 14 WRs have averaged more than 50 catches per year and 14.0 per catch. Lafell is one of those guys.  Last year LaFell had 4 receptions of 40+ yards, that was 11th in the league and no other WR had more than 6.  

Don't know why so many people around here are down on him.  I think it has something to do with some fans hating to admit that the front office made a great move by signing LaFell so cheaply.

They're either Pro Bowl superstar HoF candidates or they're garbage, for a lot of people.  I guess there are a few better WR2's out there, but only a few.

8 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

There was another new dude that was around recently for a minute that would say wacky shit and had a huge hard on for saying how LaFell is the worst WR2 in the league.

His posting style was similar too with the terrible grammar, uber extreme statements with nothing in between, and just generally seemed like an unintelligent part of society.

Not saying he's the same guy, just seems like most n00b, less than bright Bengals fans tend to hate LaFell for some reason. 

Looking in to it...

2 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Looking in to it...

Oh I don't think there's any chance they're the same guy, I just find it odd that a lot of noobish super homers seem to hate LaFell so much that they all make stuff up about him and claim he's awful.

They call our 4th stringers that no one has heard of "beasts" and talk about how great our owner, coaches, and players are..... except for poor Brandon LaFell hahahaha I don't get it at all 

It's almost enough to make a fella long for the days of "80-something rated QB's" in a baseball thread or the bizarre threat of a civil rights lawsuit.  Who can teach Geno Atkins their patented Flailing Carp Kung-Fu Fist technique? 

Almost.

9 hours ago, Bunghole said:

To be fair, the Patriots don't love anybody not named Brady. I mean, they cut freaking Randy Moss right after he caught 13 TD's in a season (and caught 23 two seasons before that). 

I am talking more about Carolina.  They drafted LaFell and expected a lot from him and he consistently disappointed them.  No one was sad to see him go.  Seeing NE diminish his role after his best year as a pro doesn't speak highly of him.  I don't hate the guy, but his history isn't good.  We have several young WRs that are there specifically to  take LaFell's job.  If they don't it says more about them than it does about LaFell. 

21 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I am talking more about Carolina.  They drafted LaFell and expected a lot from him and he consistently disappointed them.  No one was sad to see him go.  Seeing NE diminish his role after his best year as a pro doesn't speak highly of him.  I don't hate the guy, but his history isn't good.  We have several young WRs that are there specifically to  take LaFell's job.  If they don't it says more about them than it does about LaFell. 

If they don't, it's because LaFell is still better than the rooks, just like he is now.  What teams like Cackalacky did with him means bupkis to me, he replaced ol' what's-his-name everyone was freaking out about losing & didn't miss a beat.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/9/30/13117840/brandon-lafell-2016-production-quite-similar-to-marvin-jones-in-2015-with-bengals

I wish he was more like Housh with that mean streak, but I could say that about Jones too, who I liked, & all our pass catchers.. most of the roster... Some of the coaches... The owner, who just paid him 9+ with incentives to stick around. That's an awful lot for a placeholder.  There's a reason he's a #2 & we drafted another WR in the first round, other than that watch the OL or something. The rest of the offense is fine for now.

In 2014 he caught 74 passes on 119 targets, just over 950 yards with 7 TDs and 1 dropped pass all year, and that was being the 3rd receiving option behind Edelman and Gronk. The next year he missed the first 6 weeks due to a foot injury which he seemed to re-aggravate throughout the year and he didn't look like the same guy anymore for whatever reason. Could have been the injury bothering him, could have been some mental issues, it seems like it could have been a case of both. Not saying that's a good thing, but you aren't going to see many non-superstar players immune to having a mediocre season or two in their career.

Brandon LaFell had that 1 rough year dealing with injuries and drops the year before we grabbed him from FA on a huge bargain, likely due to his 2015 issues. I'm just glad the team brought him in and gave him a chance because we needed a vet WR in a bad way last year.

In 2016 he did everything we signed him for. He filled our WR2 role while being capable to play WR1 when A.J. went down. He was a reasonable red zone target and we absolutely needed a WR2 with both Jones and Sanu getting paid elsewhere. Why is it a bad thing that we draft young players to eventually replace a guy that will be 31 during this upcoming season? Isn't this normally what NFL teams do? We didn't have a backup plan in place for losing both MLJ and Sanu and a lot of fans bashed the team for it, but now we have a backup plan and that must mean that LaFell isn't very good? I don't know, I don't buy it myself.

We aren't talking about a #1 WR here, we're talking about our WR2 who is the #3-5 target when the entire offense is healthy. I'm sure there must be bigger issues to worry about right now even if LaFell is as bad as some claim (but he's not).

I think the loss of Jones and Sanu is highly overrated by some fans and pundits. SO many people point to their exit as if that was the problem with the offense last season, not enough quality WR targets. Well, that became true due to injuries, not their departure. When you lose Gio, Eifert and AJ Green Marvin Jones and Sanu aren't filling in and saving your season just like Lafell couldn't. Of course, then there was the little issue with the offensive line, shitty run game and horrible special teams play. We were literally a few kicks away from winning 9 games instead of 6, DESPITE all of the problems.

It's not like Jones and Sanu tore it up with their new teams either. Jones had a couple great games early then faded and Sanu didn't do much either.

38 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I think the loss of Jones and Sanu is highly overrated by some fans and pundits. SO many people point to their exit as if that was the problem with the offense last season, not enough quality WR targets. Well, that became true due to injuries, not their departure. When you lose Gio, Eifert and AJ Green Marvin Jones and Sanu aren't filling in and saving your season just like Lafell couldn't. Of course, then there was the little issue with the offensive line, shitty run game and horrible special teams play. We were literally a few kicks away from winning 9 games instead of 6, DESPITE all of the problems.

It's not like Jones and Sanu tore it up with their new teams either. Jones had a couple great games early then faded and Sanu didn't do much either.

Sanu's stats were slightly below LaFell's.  He had a solid year and Atlanta was quite happy with him.  Both players are OK #2 WRs. 

Agree about line play, run game, etc.  At this point the skill players on offense aren't the issue, its the group protecting Dalton and not opening holes for the RBs.  I'm not wild about Lafell, but he's not awful either.  Love to see someone step up and be better. 

The need for a yearly pet hate runs rampant around here, Omg.

i can think of another WR named Brandon who was the annual piñata.

About the only good thing you could say about Tate though was he didn't fumble. I don't recall many times he changed the game with a great return. I can't say Erickson will be any better yet but he looks better so far.

I think the issue with Tate is that he wasn't a big threat to take a kick to the house.

He was typically sure handed and was always good for a couple nice 40-ish yard returns per season, but that's about the extent of it.

He had 0 KR TDs in 174 tries here and 1 PR TD his first year in stripes with 179 total attempts. Not saying TDs are the only way to be a good return man as there are some quality guys in the league that don't rack up touchdowns themselves, but Tate didn't really seem to have the long returns in him and was more the "hey we're going to have OK field position most of the time" kind of guy.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Tate but he definitely could have been worse. I like Erickson so we'll see where he takes us. He seems to have more big play capabilities than Tate but I don't like that he fumbled 3 times last year on punt returns even though he had 0 on kickoffs.

19 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Sanu's stats were slightly below LaFell's.  He had a solid year and Atlanta was quite happy with him.  Both players are OK #2 WRs. 

Agree about line play, run game, etc.  At this point the skill players on offense aren't the issue, its the group protecting Dalton and not opening holes for the RBs.  I'm not wild about Lafell, but he's not awful either.  Love to see someone step up and be better. 

This.

Archived