Should be Elliots job to lose

you draft a kicker in the 5th round it better be his job to lose. You gave Bullock both kicks from 50 and 54. You gave Elliot 1 kick from 38 yards. Nice that Bullock made both of his kicks but you need to see Elliot get one of them from long distance. Bullock got his chance last year and missed a couple big kicks. We're not keeping 2 kickers so give Elliot most of the reps. If it doesn't work out at least we'll know and we can always go back to Bullock if need be.

14 hours ago, jhowdy54 said:

you draft a kicker in the 5th round it better be his job to lose. You gave Bullock both kicks from 50 and 54. You gave Elliot 1 kick from 38 yards. Nice that Bullock made both of his kicks but you need to see Elliot get one of them from long distance. Bullock got his chance last year and missed a couple big kicks. We're not keeping 2 kickers so give Elliot most of the reps. If it doesn't work out at least we'll know and we can always go back to Bullock if need be.

He missed 1 kick.  Because of a communication failure.

My gut tells me that they really want Elliott to be their guy. It's way to early to make any determination just yet but they do need to give him as many opportunities as they can to see what we have. After Friday night, Tampa's probably just waiting to pick up whoever we cut.

3 hours ago, HOF dan said:

My gut tells me that they really want Elliott to be their guy. It's way to early to make any determination just yet but they do need to give him as many opportunities as they can to see what we have. After Friday night, Tampa's probably just waiting to pick up whoever we cut.

I agree Elliot on the squad, Fat Randy on speed dial.

5 hours ago, HOF dan said:

They'll probably stick with Folk. Shame about their other kicker. When Bengals kickers make you look bad, your job's in serious jeopardy.

They’re almost certainly just letting him audition for other teams. I would imagine they had a conversation with him early where they told him that unless Elliot gets injured or is a dumpster fire, he’s getting cut, but they’d let him showcase his talent for everyone else as much as possible. IMO. Maybe Tampa will trade for him, their kicker is a disaster. 

16 hours ago, GoCommando said:

They’re almost certainly just letting him audition for other teams. I would imagine they had a conversation with him early where they told him that unless Elliot gets injured or is a dumpster fire, he’s getting cut, but they’d let him showcase his talent for everyone else as much as possible. IMO. Maybe Tampa will trade for him, their kicker is a disaster. 

I'd agree if Elliot had ever made a FG in the NFL before, but it is ridiculous how hard it is to project college kickers to the NFL.  To me it seems like it would be the easiest, but instead many great college kickers flop in the NFL.

I am guessing they are having a true open competition.  And I am also guessing that Elliot will get more shots in the next game.

On 8/13/2017 at 4:17 PM, schotzee said:

I want whichever one that can nail it through the end zone most often on kickoffs. Saves a lot of wear and tear on our special teams unit.

I disagree, I'd prefer to see a kicker who can hang time the shit out of inside the 5 yard line, make them return and "earn" the 20 yd line.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I'd agree if Elliot had ever made a FG in the NFL before, but it is ridiculous how hard it is to project college kickers to the NFL.  To me it seems like it would be the easiest, but instead many great college kickers flop in the NFL.

I am guessing they are having a true open competition.  And I am also guessing that Elliot will get more shots in the next game.

Elliot crushed that 38yder, i'd love to see him on the PS at worst, do we realy need 10 PS guys at "true positions" I'd seriously rather us trade McCarron so driskel can be on the 52 roster and elliot on the ps over driskell on the PS

Dumb luck Bullock got both 50 Hardee's. probably went into the game with them alternating. Next week Elliot will go first

Kickers are difficult to project in the NFL.  Personally, I don't give a ton of weight to draft position.  The top two kickers in the league in my eyes, Tucker and Bailey, were both undrafted.  Santos and Boswell are two other recent examples of undrafted kickers who have found success.  Then again, there are also examples of drafted players who were very successful, like Gostkowski and Sea Bass.  Kicking is a bottom line business and the whole reason we are here is because Nugent didn't get it done last year.  No way this team can compete if the kicker costs us games again.

I think the Bengals clearly would prefer Elliott win the job, but I agree with not handing him the job scot-free.  After all, if he can't beat out a journeyman like Bullock, then he probably won't cut it at this level.  Bullock has a pretty defined ceiling at this point and the hope is that Elliott's ceiling is higher.

Archived