Bengals pass defense

-Under DCs Mike Zimmer ('08-13) and Paul Geunthar ('14-'16) the Bengals have had the most consistent elite pass efficiency defense in the entire league.  Other teams have had short periods of better play, but the Bengals have consistently been at or near the top.

-Since '08 the Bengals have allowed the fewest td passes in the league and their pass efficiency rating is third, but only by a hair (80.2 compared to #1 Baltimore's 80.0)

-Since '09 Bengals have the #1 pass efficiency defense in the league (79.4)

-Since '10 Bengals have the #2 pass defense (79.4 to Seattle's 77.7)

-Since '11 Bengals have the #2 pass defense (79.4 to Seattle's 75.5)

-Since '12 Bengals have the #2 pass defense  (78.4 to Seattle's 75.7)

-Since '13 Bengals have the #2 pass defense (77.9 to Seattle's 76.7) and lead the league with 78 interceptions.  This despite ranking only 26th in sacks (138)

-Since '14 Bengals have the #2 pass defense (79.2 to Denver's 77.3) We are the only team over that span to have as many interceptions (league leading 58) as tds allowed (58 second in NFL).  But over that same three years only 4 teams have fewer sacks than the Bengals 95.

-Over the last 2 seasons the Bengals rank #3 in pass efficiency, tds allowed, and interceptions.

-

-

Bengals have finished top 10 in each of the last 6 years and top 5 in each of the last 5.

'12.....7th

'13.....2nd

'14.....3rd

'15.....5th

'16.....5th

Not even a homer like me would have predicted this when Jonathan Joseph left before the '11 season.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:11 PM, fredtoast said:

Bengals have finished top 10 in each of the last 6 years and top 5 in each of the last 5.

'12.....7th

'13.....2nd

'14.....3rd

'15.....5th

'16.....5th

Not even a homer like me would have predicted this when Jonathan Joseph left before the '11 season.

so like... exactly when pacman started starting... coincidence..

The Reggie Nelson trade will go down as one of the most under the radar moves an NFL team has ever made. That dude was super good, but I doubt I need to explain that to anyone here.

Leon Hall was a great corner and played some elite slot CB for us for a couple of years in your time frame there.

Adam Jones brought in to start as mentioned above.

Dre Kirkpatrick slowly improving into an upper tier CB.

George Iloka, one of my favorite Bengals, being incredibly underrated since he was drafted and had a season where he didn't allow a reception for the entire first half of the year.

Oh and Terence Newman played some good ball here too.

I'm sure I'm missing some others that deserve mention, but our secondary has been damn good and the numbers definitely back it up.

Its kinda obvious but I will point it out anyway...our secondary has been loaded with first round picks for quite awhile now. Leon Hall, Jonathon Joseph, Dennard, Nelson, Kirkpatrick, Newman, Jackson III, Pacman and others I am failing to remember. We stockpile good players back there, especially at CB.

Archived