Protesters gather near Confederate memorial in Helena, one arrested

Montana Bengal

So...one picture kind of pissed me off (below).  Looks like Helena High School mascot is the Bengals.  Is it okay for them to use that logo?

http://www.kxlf.com/story/36167804/protesters-gather-near-confederate-memorial-in-helena-one-arrested

Protesters gather near Confederate memorial in Helena, one arrested

Updated: Aug 18, 2017 11:07 AM MDT
By MTN NewsCONNECT

HELENA - A group of about 20 people has gathered near a Confederate memorial fountain in Helena to protest its removal.

On Friday Helena workers put up fencing around the fountain in preparation for removing it from Hill Park.

Assistant Helena Police Chief Steve Hagen says one woman was arrested for obstructing a police officer. He tells MTN people were asked to come out from inside the fence and told they would be arrested if they did not.

The woman did not.

Protesters could be seen waving and an American flag, a Confederate battle flag, and a Gadsden flag. The Gadsden flag features a snake and the words “Don’t Tread on Me.”

Thursday the city of Helena workers turned off water to the fountain and removed the brass top. The city has repeatedly said they do not have a timeline for when the fountain should be removed.

City commissioners elected to remove the fountain at a Wednesday night administrative meeting citing the potential for violent conflict around the fountain and its symbolism.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

14690725_G.jpg

Why is there a Confederate memorial in a place that wasn't even a state when the civil war ended? When you look at the timeline of when most of these things were erected it's painfully obvious they were about intimidation and not "heritage".  And even if they were, well.. That heritage sucks, anyway. No reason to celebrate it.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why is there a Confederate memorial in a place that wasn't even a state when the civil war ended? When you look at the timeline of when most of these things were erected it's painfully obvious they were about intimidation and not "heritage".  And even if they were, well.. That heritage sucks, anyway. No reason to celebrate it.

I have no idea honestly.   It was put up in 1916 I believe.

Any idea on the Bengals logo?

2 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

I have no idea honestly.   It was put up in 1916 I believe.

Any idea on the Bengals logo?

Yeah Birth of a Nation hit theaters the year before - this resurgence or 2nd Wave of the KKK is when most of these monuments were being built.  1910-1920.  Some heritage.

The Bengals logo.. IDK. I figure the team either isn't aware of it or doesn't care.  Looks bad for the NFL to sue a small town football team, I guess? If it was up to me I'd think it only helps the brand, if anything.  So long as they aren't using it for anything shitty I'd be inclined to let them.  This is a league that tries to sue people for using the term "Super Bowl" though so...

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Nail meet head.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/08/16/the-whole-point-of-confederate-monuments-is-to-celebrate-white-supremacy/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived