p. If you watched any of the New England’s preseason game at Houston, you saw Tom Brady’s new 2017 pet: running back Rex Burkhead. He’s going to be the kind of reliable weapon the Patriots seem to find in low-cost free agency almost ever year.

I hate when other teams use our old players the way that all of the fans (us) said is how the Bengals should have used them.....

We could have had him for relatively cheap.

It's the coaches, not the players. They turn average players into weapons just by plugging them into their offense. I would love to see an alternate history where Brady had to play for another team. They dodn't skip a beat when Brady was suspended until Garrapolo got hurt.

Burkhead fits their offense more than he did in Cincinnati.

I won't be surprised at all if he has more production in New England than he did here, but I also don't think it means the coaches are stupid and that Burkhead is some amazing back that we couldn't figure out how to use. I'm sure the coaches know what kind of player he is and didn't seem too interested in drastically altering the scheme here to get him on the field more often.

But I will say that they probably shouldn't have drafted him if they didn't plan on utilizing him to his strengths, which would take some altering of the offense that they apparently didn't want to do. 

We signed LaFell away from the Pats for peanuts and he was one of the more productive #2WRs in the league last year.  And why the hell didn't the Pats coaches sign Burkehead draft if they are so much smarter than the Bengals

Burkehead got plenty of reps in practice and pre-season games with the Bengals and never did much of anything until last year.

38 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

We signed LaFell away from the Pats for peanuts and he was one of the more productive #2WRs in the league last year.  And why the hell didn't the Pats coaches sign Burkehead draft if they are so much smarter than the Bengals

Burkehead got plenty of reps in practice and pre-season games with the Bengals and never did much of anything until last year.

That is not exactly how it went down Fred.  LaFell had a good 2014 season but started the 2015 on PUP missing the first 5 games.  He struggled all year and was 6th in the NFL for drops.  He was released by the Patriots in early March 2016 clearing around $2.5 million cap space.  The Bengals did not sign him until later in March 2016 giving him a one year deal of $2.5 million the same amount that the Patriots saved.

16 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Imagine what Joe Mixon could do there.  Saturday night the O line seemed to be more blocking the holes he was supposed to run through than the player they were assigned to.

P.S.  So glad we brought back Smitty the Titty.

Good news is Hopkins has been running with the 1's, he seems to have the starting RG spot secured unless he fucks something up in the meantime.

I'd be shocked to see them bring Andre back for millions to ride the pine but it looks like he could just be our new "first off the bench at any line position but center" guy.

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

And the week before, he runs wild behind the same line. 

The NFL preseason is such a mirage on so many levels. 

Sometimes teams use the games to work on certain aspects of their game or look at specific players running certain plays.  It is not always about 2winning the game.

It is like a pitcher working on a new pitch in spring training.  He may get hit hard but it isn't because he sucks.  It is because he is using the time as practice instead of trying to win.

Archived