Boycott Both Bengals vs. Browns Games

Rick

2 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Do all of the people so offended by this stand up in their living rooms for the national anthem? I doubt it.
I'm not offended..It's their right.
I'm not boycotting shit.

That's a bad example because you're not expected to by an organization you work for. But I'm on your side as to not being offended. I don't care what they do during the anthem. Marshawn Lynch just got addressed for doing it. He just said that he's been doing it occasionally his whole career for no particular reason. And that's fine.

My point is that I don't care what they do and why. I just hate my football news getting cluttered with all of the political stuff because some players want some limelight. But I don't like to sort through any extracurricular player stuff. 

I personally think it's a dumb way to send a message and fairly disrespectful but if that is how they want to do it, so be it. No need to get worked up over it but if it does offend you you don't have to watch. I can't remember the last time I watched the anthem anyway

I personally think it's a dumb way to send a message and fairly disrespectful but if that is how they want to do it, so be it. No need to get worked up over it but if it does offend you you don't have to watch. I can't remember the last time I watched the anthem anyway

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

To raise awareness that there is racism in America? No shit. I think everybody is aware. What is this going to do about it?

No, it is to raise awareness about police brutality against minorities that as a percentage of population is much much larger than for anyone else. Racism is a part of that, but the protest is pretty specific.

And just like any protest it forces people to talk about the issue which is how those things get addressed.

It's supposed to make you uncomfortable.

17 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No, it is to raise awareness about police brutality against minorities that as a percentage of population is much much larger than for anyone else. Racism is a part of that, but the protest is pretty specific.

And just like any protest it forces people to talk about the issue which is how those things get addressed.

It's supposed to make you uncomfortable.

Michael Bennett's recent protest wasn't about police brutality. He cited Charlottesville. I don't know what the Browns were praying about. Which is usually after the game.

Just now, Hooky said:

Michael Bennett's recent protest wasn't about police brutality. He cited Charlottesville. I don't know what the Browns were prayibg about. Which is usually after the game.

The whole thing started with Kapernick which is what he was talking about, if others are taking a larger issue then by all means....

17 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The whole thing started with Kapernick which is what he was talking about, if others are taking a larger issue then by all means....

But the starting a discussion thing is crap. People are aware, people are talking. This is just to draw attention to themselves and it backfired on Kaepernick. Nobody wants a mediocre QB that's bringing a circus with him.

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

But the starting a discussion thing is crap. People are aware, people are talking. This is just to draw attention to themselves and it backfired on Kaepernick. Nobody wants a mediocre QB that's bringing a circus with him.

How exactly would Hooky like them to protest? What would make Hooky comfortable with it?

When I served in the Navy, I stood at attention at taps when outside, when the colors went by, before movies, games, etc. It was/is respecting our country and the men and women who fought for our freedoms. Politics should never get in the way of disrespecting America. You can make your point in other ways. I stopped watching ESPN last year. I stopped watching all NFL games with the exception of the Bengals. My plan is to stop watching the Bengals if they do the same thing. I will then only listen to them on the radio. Enclosed are a few pictures of me placing a flower on a grave of a young man from Ohio who died during the Normandy Invasion in Normandy, France at our American graveyard. It was very humbling to see the many graves of the American men and women who died during the invasion.

6CF3430D-7EEB-4AEE-96B6-DADF7FBEA9E9.jpeg

E8AD361D-D253-4AEF-B24A-F142A474C2F8.jpeg

D810B7C6-70DC-4C8D-9C02-C407CC998B88.jpeg

C4CC7BBC-92E4-4A38-B9A6-6B8E9CB6E584.jpeg

F95F415A-E287-4767-A670-B413EF92849D.jpeg

940D94C8-2E76-479C-A6B8-A8CC80F01FFE.jpeg

DD02ADC9-DABB-4701-8BDD-226E60E9D6D3.jpeg

D13B2084-2F82-47C1-AFB2-A2DD1EFBEB61.jpeg

153C53E7-FF3D-4112-80DE-448A60CC8F38.jpeg

These guys are literally killing themselves getting concussed every Sunday, and the thing that makes you want to boycott is them kneeling during the anthem? Wife beaters get a slap on the wrist, but this is just too much?

"Politics should never get in the way of disrespecting America"

Ummm, America should be worthy of respect. You can't force someone to respect a country. "Subscribe to my particular breed of nationalism or suffer!" seems to be your rallying cry... Bullshit. You want to threaten a young man's livelihood if he does not conform to your narrow viewpoint. I can't think of anything more un-american. You love a flag and an anthem more than the freedoms those things represent.

Just me, but I plan to protest by jeering and booing every fucking Clown player on the field and cheering as loud as I can every time a Clown gets his ass knocked off in the game.  

I will also pledge make a donation to the board for each Browns defeat by the Bengals.

Fuck the Browns.

Rick, as a disabled retired veteran of the US Navy, I understand your point of view.

However, let me interject something...

Many people are upset that NFL players (amongst other sports athletes) are not standing during the national anthem. They say that it's a sign of major disrespect to veterans, especially the ones who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

Indulge me if you please...

The "Golden Generation", the ones everyone refers to as the saviors of the American way, did indeed fight against the tyrants attempts at world oppression from Germany, Japan, Italy, and a small smattering of others. When the U.S. entered World War II, Jim Crow segregation had permeated every aspect of American society. When black men volunteered for duty or were drafted, they were assigned to segregated divisions and often given combat support roles, such as cook, quartermaster and grave-digging duty. According to British personnel in the BEF, meals in the US Army were served with the white servicemen being served in one line and the black servicemen and officers in another. Because of black protests against the Army's treatment of its black soldiers, military leadership began to attempt to address the issue beginning in 1943, but segregation in the armed forces remained official policy until 1948.

With the exception of 18 female African-American nurses who had served in World War I, the Army Nurses CorpArmyAaaa, established in 1901, remained white until 1941, when pressure from the National Association of Colored Graduate Nurses, and Eleanor Roosevelt , caused the Army to admit black nurses. A quota of 48 nurses was set, and the women were segregated from white nurses and white soldiers for much of the war. Eventually more black nurses enlisted. They were assigned to care for black soldiers, and served in the China-Burma-India theater, Australia, New Guinea, Liberia, England and the Philippines.

So, besides the history lesson, my point is this;

Black men and women volunteered to serve to fight world oppression when they couldn't escape racial oppression back home. You and I fought for the rights of ALL citizens to protest, and these black men and women, and ANYONE else who cares about people of color has the right and should be supported for doing so.

I stand with them now, although I didn't at first, because I didn't take the time to walk in their shoes.

It's not about respect for our vets and America, it's about the lack of respect and equality for people who volunteered to defend this country that won't treat them as equals.

Just my $.02, and I'll move this thread to J & D.

Archived