Just now, omgdrdoom said:

All I'm saying is WR and CB spots on the depth chart have more to figure out within them than the average position. I'm no big Dennard defender I'm just not so sure Benwikere is ahead of Dennard in projected play time or anything due to the depth chart being set up the way it is. Benwikere may not even make the team while Dennard is all but a lock at this point.

Yeah, probably so.  Just surprised to see him that far down the list, myself.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:23 AM, T-Dub said:

I'm wondering why they didn't pass on the option year and bring him back as a FA for 2-3 mil tops.  He's not a starter and can't stay on the field. 

I think this is what will happen.

They can cut him, cross fingers he clears waivers and then sign him to a vet minimum deal and we're not on the hook for the $8 million.

12 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I think this is what will happen.

They can cut him, cross fingers he clears waivers and then sign him to a vet minimum deal and we're not on the hook for the $8 million.

Assuming they even want him back..  Think he needs to really show something this season if he expects to be more than some team's TC fodder in the future.

I still have hope for Dennard because I think Coyle is our best position coach.  I know Coyle has had a lot of high draft picks to work with, but he has also gotten good production from guys who were cast aside elsewhere (Nate Clements, Terrance Newman, Cris Crocker, Reggie Nelson)

I'm just starting to think it'll be more likely that Dennard catches on somewhere as an outside CB in 2018 (assuming he's cut before his 5th year option kicks in) than him becoming a great slot CB in 2017 for us. Square peg, round hole kind of thing. Doesn't seem to have the hips, strength, or tackling for an inside DB.

20 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I still have hope for Dennard because I think Coyle is our best position coach.  I know Coyle has had a lot of high draft picks to work with, but he has also gotten good production from guys who were cast aside elsewhere (Nate Clements, Terrance Newman, Cris Crocker, Reggie Nelson)

I'm not sure how much Coyle worked with some of those guys?  He was in Miami from 2012-2015.

all but what, 1 or 2 of our top 3 rounds are still on the team except those who left in FA?. thats quite good.

but also drafting well is a comparison analysis. so we draft better than most other teams, its not "all our draft picks are here" its "more of ours than most"

so youd have to pull the top 6-8 successful teams of those same years and compare numbers.

in this particular instance you are comparing the draft success to your own internal perception of draft success.

I think the Bengals drafted pretty well between 2009-2013.  No doubt the draft classes in 2014 and 2015 have been disappointing thus far.  If you compare them to the rest of the league, the Bengals have fared better than most with both players still in the league and earning second contracts. 

Worst contracts on every team.

Ours...

Cincinnati Bengals – Dre Kirkpatrick, cornerback

The Bengals invested a tremendous amount in Dre Kirkpatrick, making him their first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Then, upon expiration of his rookie contract, Cincinnati signed him to a five-year, $52.5 million deal with a $7 million singing bonus and $12 million guaranteed. And while those numbers aren’t obscene for a top-end cornerback, Kirkpatrick recorded only three interceptions last season (nine in his career) and finished outside the top 50 at his position courtesy of Pro Football Focus.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/worst-contract-every-nfl-team/390188

23 minutes ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

Worst contracts on every team.

Ours...

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/worst-contract-every-nfl-team/390188

PFF individual player ratings are a complete joke.  in 2015 they had Dre ranked 114th behind a bunch of scrubs who did not even play while he was top 30 in every objective stat I could find.  In 2016 Dre was top 5 in the league in yards allowed per target.

BTW this reminds me that I have to go get ProFootballOutsiders almanac for the 2016 season.  It should be released by now.

Archived