Burfict Suspended five games

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20480746/cincinnati-bengals-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-facing-five-game-suspension-illegal-hit

Sources: Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict facing five-game suspension for illegal hit

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict is facing a five-game suspension for an illegal hit against Kansas City Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman this month, league sources tell ESPN.

Burfict, a repeat offender, hit the running back in a defenseless posture, sources said. It is a new rule the NFL is implementing this season to protect the player who can't protect himself -- and it is going to hurt Burfict and the Bengals.

Burfict is appealing, sources said.

His suspension, if it stands, will cost Burfict $882,353 in lost base-salary game checks. Burfict is entering the last year of his contract and is scheduled to become a free agent after this season.

Burfict has a hearing next week with the NFL, sources said.

But Burfict is no stranger to trouble. He was suspended the first three games of the 2016 season for numerous violations of player safety rules, including an illegal hit on Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown during the 2015 playoffs.

During his five-year NFL career, Burfict has been fined almost $800,000 and flagged 16 times for unnecessary roughness, personal fouls or roughing the passer. The lost wages of his latest suspension would more than double that total.

After Burfict's latest questionable preseason hit, the league office now is taking action against him again.

If the suspension holds, Burfict would miss games against the Baltimore RavensHouston TexansGreen Bay PackersCleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills.

Seriously the NFL needs to change there fucking ways. If this legal play is a 5 game suspension then every god damn hit should result in a suspension. probably 50 helmet to helmet hits every fucking game. I want every damn player suspended for an unnecessary hit. I don't care if you suspend players make it even.

1. Why don't they just put dresses on all of them and play two hand touch?

2 What is with the middle of the night decision? Is it so the sports analysts can get an early start writing their Burfict/Bengal bashing articles? Or did Burdock's TD get Goodell so pissed off that he couldn't sleep?

3. I better see at least 4 or 5 suspensions a week using that as the barometer. Starting with the beginning of pre-season. Go back and watch the games and they'll find at least a dozen hits like that one. If not, I am seriously done with this shit. I would say that I'll just watch college, but they are getting there also.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0693679905392562325-4

Which of the three hit types indeed. 1) It wasn't to the head or neck. 2) He didn't use his crown. 3) He didn't launch.

I'm guessing they studied the film, but how could they suspend him when none of the 3 apply? Maybe there's a Bengals 55 jersey clause that Seifert is overlooking. But it will be hard to appeal since Goodell won't want to admit that the hit didn't meet the criteria, but he suspended Burdock anyway. 5 games, no less.

No Western PA NFL franchise will be touched...other than perhaps some second-stringer who will simply be a sacrifice to show the league's integrity.

#55 has no chance on this appeal. Even if His NY Eminence takes off two games, it will still be damage done. 

I would once again say nothing this corrupt farce of a league does surprises, but they continue to impress with their slanted creativity.

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If it were me I'd announce my retirement. Play out the season to honor the contract but that's it. I'd also make it very clear I was done being Goodell's whipping boy.

Or he could sign with one of the darling teams and go from villain to hero without changing his style of play.

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Why MLB? If there is one sport which can't really be compromised--other than by true fixing--it's that one.

Selig made a lot of stupid decisions, it's become really boring and most of the players are assholes.

WTF?  He merely bumped into the guy.  Shoulder pads to shoulder pads.  How couldn't the Chief fullback protect himself?  He was running across the middle of the field looking at the quarterback like he was an option or outlet receiver.  Hardly defenseless.  And if he was, he made himself that way.  Burfict simply took him out of the play long before the whistle blew and with a shoulder bump at that.  What's illegal?  Oh ... Burfict was the one who did it.  I see.  Makes perfect sense now.  Carry on.

What a pant load.  

I will start by saying that 5 games is a stupid number.  I will also say this crap goes on all the time, but since it's the league whipping boy they are going to pounce on him.  Throw in the fact that it's the Bengals with one of the smallest fanbases in the league, so who cares if they suffer?

On the other hand, this is the kind of hit Burfict has to stop making.  It's similar to the Brown hit in that it wasn't necessary.  The ball was way over his head and Burfict just took the opportunity to pop a guy.  Just like he did with Brown, but he happened to get him in the head.  This kind of hit should be policed.  But, it should be applied equally across the league.  As mentioned, a guy like Mike Mitchell is a pro at this stuff.  Goodell has been a train wreck with his judgement on suspensions and if he won't give up that power there will be a strike in a couple years.

At the end of the day Burfict has to know he's a target and everything he does will be watched.  He has to stop that shit.  Period.

Archived