Burfict Suspended five games

What am I missing here? The case is going to be decided by James Thrash, from what Florio said (and opinions on Florio himself not withstanding) is that if Thrash decides it wasnt a illigeal hit there is no punishment, and that if he does decide it was Thrash decides if the punishment given is appropriate.

Seems like that is out of the hands of Goodell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/29/james-thrash-to-handle-burfict-appeal/

46 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

What am I missing here? The case is going to be decided by James Thrash, from what Florio said (and opinions on Florio himself not withstanding) is that if Thrash decides it wasnt a illigeal hit there is no punishment, and that if he does decide it was Thrash decides if the punishment given is appropriate.

Seems like that is out of the hands of Goodell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/29/james-thrash-to-handle-burfict-appeal/

You have much more faith in this process than I do

#Burfict Update: I'm told feeling is that "a very good case" was presented to appeals officer James Thrash. Hope* is for a decision in 48hs.

Haven't seen any other comments like this...so take it with a grain of salt.

5 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

Reduced to 3 games per ESPN. 

Admitting they were wrong and then reducing a suspension that never should've happened in the first place is more insulting, if anything.  Either he deserved a suspension or he didn't.

edit: on NFL.com now so I'd call it official

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

does this mean weekly suspensions across the league when the season begins? There's a play like this every week. The NFL has put themselves in an awful position if this suspension stands. Oh, wait, I forgot that as hypocrites they won't even notice.

There should be 4 or 5 suspensions every week.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Admitting they were wrong and then reducing a suspension that never should've happened in the first place is more insulting, if anything.  Either he deserved a suspension or he didn't.

edit: on NFL.com now so I'd call it official

It wasn't quite as illegal as they originally thought.

To totally dismiss it would mean that they would have to admit they were wrong and were just going after Burdock.

4 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Burfict should file a grievance, then take it to court. 

Burfict would lose in court.  The NFLPA gave away their right to due process as expected in a court of law through their collective bargaining agreement.  This is exactly what Brady was challenging and lost.  Burfict would just be wasting money on lawyers. 

For "nobody" caring there sure was a lot of talk last season about the NFL losing viewers and revenue.  I'd say all these rule changes designed to make every game a shoot-out prove they care quite a bit, actually, but here's the thing:

I really DGAF if anyone cares.  I've started tuning out because I am losing interest, not because I think it's going to keep the Rooneys and Krafts up at night.   

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Burfict would lose in court.  The NFLPA gave away their right to due process as expected in a court of law through their collective bargaining agreement.  This is exactly what Brady was challenging and lost.  Burfict would just be wasting money on lawyers. 

The NFL sued Brady and lost at the trial level. The court of appeals decided for the NFL. So don't sue in NYC, sue them in Ohio, which is in a different appeals circuit.

In an effort to win over the soccer moms of America the NFL has alienated it's most loyal base yet again and will continue to do so until they completely burn the bridge.  I'm to that point, if it's not Bengals related I don't watch anymore whereas in years past I tuned in to any and all games not Pittsburgh related.

But I guess when you have $750M ripped out of your pockets in injury settlement you'll have to change your approach to how the game is played.  With this ruling, they started down a slippery slope of how the game is played, reviewed, fined and suspended.  Seems like the beginning of the end of the game of football as we knew and I loved is here.

3 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

In an effort to win over the soccer moms of America the NFL has alienated it's most loyal base yet again and will continue to do so until they completely burn the bridge.  I'm to that point, if it's not Bengals related I don't watch anymore whereas in years past I tuned in to any and all games not Pittsburgh related.

But I guess when you have $750M ripped out of your pockets in injury settlement you'll have to change your approach to how the game is played.  With this ruling, they started down a slippery slope of how the game is played, reviewed, fined and suspended.  Seems like the beginning of the end of the game of football as we knew and I loved is here.

I could live with all the rule changes if they were clear & concise, and enforced equally.  

Archived