Burfict Suspended five games

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Ha!  I mean.. Obviously I can live with it just fine, but pretty "meh" on the NFL these days.  

Too much subjectivity and basically zero consistency.  They don't understand their own rules.  The owners and league office have lost touch with their own game.

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I suppose that is some sort of sarcasm against people who think this league is an abominable farce, but it would be better if you would just say it, and not insult with banal memes. 

Morseso the idea that anyone here is actually going to boycott.

17 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

does this mean weekly suspensions across the league when the season begins? There's a play like this every week. The NFL has put themselves in an awful position if this suspension stands. Oh, wait, I forgot that as hypocrites they won't even notice.

Depends on if the player has been repeatedly fined and/or suspended for "dirty hits" before.

I bet there will be lots of fines for first time offenders for these type of hits.  It is a new rule and the league will try to send a message.  and, yes, if a player already has a bad record with the league then he will get suspended.

I love Burfict.  he is one of the very few really elite players on this team, and he could end up being the best LB in the history of this franchise.  But I have seen him stomping on and twisting the legs of opponenets after the play was dead.  He has also had a few "questionable" hits that have drawn fines and a prior suspension.  That is why he got suspended when other players will just get fines for the same type of hit.

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If only this was true. Florio, King, Costas, etc interject their politics frequently. Maybe you haven't noticed coverage of Kaepernick?

First of all Florio and Costas work for NBC and Peter King writes for Sports Illustarted.

Yes I have noticed plenty of coverage of Kaepernick on ESPN.  Usually they have guys who agree debating with guys who disagree.  I have not seen anything where ESPN officially endorses what he is doing.  But I guess as a Rush fan you think that if they are not calling for Colin to be shot for kneeling then that is a "liberal bias", right?

What is your opinion of ESPN's Will Cain's comments about Kaepernick?  Or let me put it this way.  What has Rush told you to believe about Will Cain's comments?

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What do you mean by boycott? It's not that hard to avoid giving the NFL money.

What I mean is you are not not watching the games.

Actually yes it is that hard. Think about any sponsor the NFL has right down to those that are buying ad time. Then think about all the products you would have to avoid buying in order to not give the NFL money.

Good luck.

26 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

What I mean is you are not not watching the games.

Actually yes it is that hard. Think about any sponsor the NFL has right down to those that are buying ad time. Then think about all the products you would have to avoid buying in order to not give the NFL money.

Good luck.

Eh, I've missed games I actually wanted to see because I had better or more important things going on.  Quite a stretch to say that buying a Donato's Pizza (barf) is somehow funding the NFL.  Not sure why the idea of tuning out bothers you so much or why you think it's impossible, because it's already happened:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-ratings-down-for-2016-and-might-continue-to-slump-2017-2

:shrug:

Just now, T-Dub said:

Eh, I've missed games I actually wanted to see because I had better or more important things going on.  Quite a stretch to say that buying a Donato's Pizza (barf) is somehow funding the NFL.  Not sure why the idea of tuning out bothers you so much or why you think it's impossible, because it's already happened:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-ratings-down-for-2016-and-might-continue-to-slump-2017-2

:shrug:

I'm talking about people on here not average fans. You folks know you're not quitting come on now.

The NFL is funded by ad's as well no? When you buy a product from a company that sponsors or buys ads from the NFL can you guarantee that your dollars didnt go do that? No you cant. So unless you're willing to not buy anything from any vendor that gives any money at all to the NFL in anyway you are going to be giving money to the NFL. Now maybe you can avoid all those companies and if you can good on you, but the proliferation is pretty deep. So again good luck.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm talking about people on here not average fans. You folks know you're not quitting come on now.

Seriously?  You and Fred man, I don't know why you two think you're qualified to tell people what they won't do...  

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Seriously?  You and Fred man, I don't know why you two think you're qualified to tell people what they won't do...  

My comments are only directed at the people posting on the message board for an NFL team.  If they are doing this then they have obviously not quit watching or caring about the NFL.

9 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

My comments are only directed at the people posting on the message board for an NFL team.  If they are doing this then they have obviously not quit watching or caring about the NFL.

I guess you're free to assume that if it makes you feel better?

I like Vontaze Burfict a heck of a lot. I think this suspension is a total pile of crap. I think, even with the new rule in consideration that the hit was legal.

The reality though, to bastardize a Dennis Green quote, "He is who we thought he was". Vontaze Burfict dropped from a potential first round pick to being undrafted. He wasn't smoking crack, banging strippers, punching chicks out or anything like that. He dropped because teams believed he couldn't be controlled on the field and that his personal fouls and inability to change his game would be too much of a risk. He is who we thought he'd be.

The risk is worth the reward in my opinion but none of us should be surprised he's in the situation he is. Targeted by the NFL as a dirty, repeat offender who will be hyper-scrutinized for his entire career as a result of past transgressions.

Again, I will take Vontaze all day long and would love to see him a Bengal for his career but his ability to stay on the field and be counted on is becoming suspect. He's almost akin to a guy who is injury prone. The coaching staff can't rely on him to play a 16 game season right now (this will be the fourth straight season he hasn't played 16 games due to injury and/or suspension). That's an issue moving forward.

I hope this is the end of this bullcrap saga. Hopefully he can amend his game to suit the assnuts in the NFL offices and produce like many of us believe he can but, he is who we thought he was and, we can't be shocked by this.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I guess you're free to assume that if it makes you feel better?

It is not an assumption.  If they did not care about the NFL then they would not be posting here about an NFL team.

I am not saying that no one has ever given up on the NFL.  I am just saying that people who still care enough about the Bengals to post here still care about the NFL. 

Just now, Rick said:

The Bengals should keep Burfict out of tonight’s game. It will give less video ammo for the ESPN talking heads to berate him.

At this point i would keep him out to give playing time to his replacements - lets see who steps up and wants to be on the 53 man roster. Of course someone is out of a job come week 4 but with injuries and so on - who knows what will happen. My issue is this... is TAZ going to get suspended again this year for BS hits. If so we need to have the extra LB ready to roll.

10 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I like Vontaze Burfict a heck of a lot. I think this suspension is a total pile of crap. I think, even with the new rule in consideration that the hit was legal.

The reality though, to bastardize a Dennis Green quote, "He is who we thought he was". Vontaze Burfict dropped from a potential first round pick to being undrafted. He wasn't smoking crack, banging strippers, punching chicks out or anything like that. He dropped because teams believed he couldn't be controlled on the field and that his personal fouls and inability to change his game would be too much of a risk. He is who we thought he'd be.

The risk is worth the reward in my opinion but none of us should be surprised he's in the situation he is. Targeted by the NFL as a dirty, repeat offender who will be hyper-scrutinized for his entire career as a result of past transgressions.

Again, I will take Vontaze all day long and would love to see him a Bengal for his career but his ability to stay on the field and be counted on is becoming suspect. He's almost akin to a guy who is injury prone. The coaching staff can't rely on him to play a 16 game season right now (this will be the fourth straight season he hasn't played 16 games due to injury and/or suspension). That's an issue moving forward.

I hope this is the end of this bullcrap saga. Hopefully he can amend his game to suit the assnuts in the NFL offices and produce like many of us believe he can but, he is who we thought he was and, we can't be shocked by this.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid, man.  There are plenty of NFL players who are every bit as bad, or worse.  We've got teams like Shitsburgh that have built their whole identity around cheap shots and headhunting.   Burfict's never beat a woman, shot up a strip club, or failed a drug test.  He's got no DUI's & nobody has accused him of raping anyone.  

He's a scapegoat, plain and simple. 

1 hour ago, mhfinks said:

So - no more appeals? should Mikey help him take this to court? or do they just take the hit and move on? I think this one is BS! thoughts?

It would be nice to see Marvin be ballsy and continue to demand justice (how can it be a hit from the side when he hit him in the numbers?).  IMO, Burfect is being punished for past transgressions...ones for which he has already been punished.

How would you feel IF, on the Colts' first offensive play, all eleven defenders just stood there and let the running back score...with the explanation that they were afraid of getting suspended if they touched him?  Bring attention to the injustice. :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Cricket said:

How would you feel IF, on the Colts' first offensive play, all eleven defenders just stood there and let the running back score...with the explanation that they were afraid of getting suspended if they touched him?  Bring attention to the injustice. :shrug:

That's why they're focusing on one player rather than suspending the dozen or more that made the exact same kind of hit.  If the other 31 teams give half a shit about Burfict getting suspended again it's because they're happy about it.

Archived