Burfict Suspended five games

Steelr fans used to cry the same song about the way the league treated James Harrison.  Patriot fans also cry that the League picks on them more than other teams.  Cowboy fans heads are exploding over Elliots 6 game suspension.

This disciplinary rulings by the league are just like officials calls on the field.  Every team thinks they are getting picked on and getting a raw deal.

I disagree with this ruling, but just like a bad call from a ref I am going to let it go and move forward.

3 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Steelr fans used to cry the same song about the way the league treated James Harrison.  Patriot fans also cry that the League picks on them more than other teams.  Cowboy fans heads are exploding over Elliots 6 game suspension.

This disciplinary rulings by the league are just like officials calls on the field.  Every team thinks they are getting picked on and getting a raw deal.

I disagree with this ruling, but just like a bad call from a ref I am going to let it go and move forward.

Yes I can tell by the way you keep chastising everyone for "crying" about it.  

39 minutes ago, Cricket said:

How would you feel IF, on the Colts' first offensive play, all eleven defenders just stood there and let the running back score...with the explanation that they were afraid of getting suspended if they touched him?  Bring attention to the injustice.

As long as they don't kneel.... Then we'd have to boycott the NFL.

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

How would you feel IF, on the Colts' first offensive play, all eleven defenders just stood there and let the running back score...with the explanation that they were afraid of getting suspended if they touched him?  Bring attention to the injustice. :shrug:

I would support this. However, I don’t think the defense would do this. It would send a powerful message.

Can someone send this to the players?

OK...but not to look like I am supporting the NFL in any way (just being the curious in a how-does-an-automobile-run sort)...just who plays that WLB position for the first three games? Jordan Evans? Quite honestly, other than checking the depth chart, I can't say I know anything about him--or the solution to the position. 

OK...now that a substantive question has been asked...please return to the NBA meets NFL meets WWE meets ISIS topic.     

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK...but not to look like I am supporting the NFL in any way (just being the curious in a how-does-an-automobile-run sort)...just who plays that WLB position for the first three games? Jordan Evans? Quite honestly, other than checking the depth chart, I can't say I know anything about him--or the solution to the position. 

OK...now that a substantive question has been asked...please return to the NBA meets NFL meets WWE meets ISIS topic.     

Hey you mentioned ISIS! That means you are supporting ISIS, can't fool me.

The guy came in to the league as a dirty player, and he hasn't done a great job of changing that rep. I have Burfict showing up in my Google Now, and one of them was "His 10 Dirtiest Plays"... And They were pretty dirty.

The hit on Sherman looks like it's questionable that it even draws a fine, and I still think 3 games is absolutely insane, but I also think it was unnecessary, and it was pre-season.

Burfict has no off-switch, and that was evident when he speared in low on Gio in camp. Every player that gets hit says they were fine with it because they don't want to look like pussies... And it doesn't matter. It just shows that the dude doesn't know when to dial it down and play within the rules.

He's developed a reputation that Albert Haynesworth is jealous of. I mean... I see all of the interviews of him with his chihuahuas being all "I'm really a nice guy..." bit. I'm a Bengals fan, I want to believe. Punching guys in the nuts, twisting Cam Newton's ankle, and so on... For Marvin Lewis to say he's changed means that there was something wrong with the way hes was playing. Hell, for Lewis to defend him only further weakens his credibility as any kind of judge of charachter.

The reality is that Burfict is now snake bit. He'll either learn to go out and play good clean football where everyone is enjoying healthy competition, or he'll keep playing mad dog "make you feel it when you come across the middle" suspension ball. Doesn't matter if we think it's fair.

13 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The guy came in to the league as a dirty player, and he hasn't done a great job of changing that rep. I have Burfict showing up in my Google Now, and one of them was "His 10 Dirtiest Plays"... And They were pretty dirty.

I bet they could find 10 "dirty" plays from any halfway decent LB or DB.  But they won't.  

Isn't it interesting how the NFL actually reduced  his suspension, but the sports media already had the fires lit?  

Hey maybe we should mention the NFL fucked up?  Nah, let's run the hit piece anyway.

Meanwhile they'll happily swing from the jock of a fucking serial rapist.  Disgusting.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I bet they could find 10 "dirty" plays from any halfway decent LB or DB.  But they won't. 

Not like Burfict.

We all watch every team play the Bengals.  If there was a LB from another team stomping on Bengals or twisting their legs after the play we would all be screaming about it.

Here is the bottom line.  Burfict will be judged harder than other players because of his reputation, BUT that reputation is well deserved.

43 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I see the NFLPA is behind Zeke Elliott for his suspension.

That is a very complicated case.  Zeke's defense involves attacking the alleged victim.  I don't know how the NFL and the union will handle that.

I have been defending people accused of assault for over 15 years.  I know all about alleged victims lying in order to get people in trouble.  But it can turn into a PR nightmare if the NFLPA starts attacking the victim in a domestic assault case.  It can't just be a "he-said/she-said" situation.  They have to have some pretty strong evidence to prove she is lying other than just Zeke claiming she is, especially since there is video of him pulling down a woman's top and grabbing her tits at a St Patricks Day parade this year.  It is clear that he is he kind of guy who is capable of treating women like shit.  And it is also clear that something happened to bruise up his girlfriend while they were staying in the same apartment.  That may not be enough for a criminal conviction, but it is probably enough to warrant a suspension.

I agree that when the State is prosecuting an individual in Court they need to prove their case "beyond a reasonable doubt"  but people don't function like that on a personal level.  For example, if a guy beats a charge of child rape because the victim chooses not to testify I still am not leaving that guy alone with my children.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:47 AM, fredtoast said:

Depends on if the player has been repeatedly fined and/or suspended for "dirty hits" before.

I bet there will be lots of fines for first time offenders for these type of hits.  It is a new rule and the league will try to send a message.  and, yes, if a player already has a bad record with the league then he will get suspended.

I love Burfict.  he is one of the very few really elite players on this team, and he could end up being the best LB in the history of this franchise.  But I have seen him stomping on and twisting the legs of opponenets after the play was dead.  He has also had a few "questionable" hits that have drawn fines and a prior suspension.  That is why he got suspended when other players will just get fines for the same type of hit.

Freddy Toast, you sir, have nailed it.  

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Not like Burfict.

We all watch every team play the Bengals.  If there was a LB from another team stomping on Bengals or twisting their legs after the play we would all be screaming about it.

Here is the bottom line.  Burfict will be judged harder than other players because of his reputation, BUT that reputation is well deserved.

Freddy Toast, you sir, have nailed this too.  

If the hit was not legal and he is guilty, why reduce the games at all? With his track record, no one would fault them for upholding the 5 games.

Is this moreof  a "we were wrong, but dont want to admit we were wrong.  So here is 3 games instead of 5" type of thing?

On 8/31/2017 at 10:59 AM, fredtoast said:

First of all Florio and Costas work for NBC and Peter King writes for Sports Illustarted.

Yes I have noticed plenty of coverage of Kaepernick on ESPN.  Usually they have guys who agree debating with guys who disagree.  I have not seen anything where ESPN officially endorses what he is doing.  But I guess as a Rush fan you think that if they are not calling for Colin to be shot for kneeling then that is a "liberal bias", right?

What is your opinion of ESPN's Will Cain's comments about Kaepernick?  Or let me put it this way.  What has Rush told you to believe about Will Cain's comments?

Florio, Costas, and King all appear on NBC's Sunday night football games, plus PFT and MMQB of course.  Besides Kaepernick, they express views on the Redskins team name, gun control, and other issues. Journalists lean left and broadcasters and sports writers think of themselves as journalists.

I don't know who Cain is or what he said about Kaepernick. I also don't listen to Limbaugh. Even if I did, it wouldn't change the fact that the broadcasters listed feel free to express their political views in what is ostensibly football coverage.

4 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Florio, Costas, and King all appear on NBC's Sunday night football games, plus PFT and MMQB of course.  Besides Kaepernick, they express views on the Redskins team name, gun control, and other issues. Journalists lean left and broadcasters and sports writers think of themselves as journalists.

I don't know who Cain is or what he said about Kaepernick. I also don't listen to Limbaugh. Even if I did, it wouldn't change the fact that the broadcasters listed feel free to express their political views in what is ostensibly football coverage.

Exactly what happens here on occasion in nonpolitical topics.

On 9/1/2017 at 9:31 AM, T-Dub said:

Isn't it interesting how the NFL actually reduced  his suspension, but the sports media already had the fires lit?  

Hey maybe we should mention the NFL fucked up?  Nah, let's run the hit piece anyway.

Meanwhile they'll happily swing from the jock of a fucking serial rapist.  Disgusting.

This is pure nonsense.  Burfict was UNDRAFTED by the ENTIRE league BEFORE he became a Bengal.  Again, BEFORE he became a Bengal.  He was a DIRTY player long before he became a Bengal.  The guy is a FUCKING idiot.  He is incapable of playing within the rules and goes out of his way to deliver cheap shots on unsuspecting players.  Could have been a great player but he is nothing more than a distraction at this point unable to stay on the field and help his team.  

He blindsided a player in a PRE SEASON game knowing he has a target on his back, that is how fucking stupid he is. 

He targeted the head of Antonio Brown KNOWING the Rapist couldn't throw, they had no time outs and there was almost NO time on the clock.  Fucking idiot. 

If he were a Stealer, Raven, Patriot or Brown, everyone on this board would be screaming bloody murder at the bullshit he pulls.

ONE MORE TIME:  A player with obvious and incredible talent went UNDRAFTED by the entire NFL. The reason is obvious. 

Archived