Final Roster

This is a prediction only! Don't beat me up to badly.

QB – 2 – Dalton, Driskel – (McCarron gets traded before cut down day)

RB – 4 – Hill, Geo, Mixon, Carson

WR – 7 – Green, LaFell, Boyd, Core, Ross, Erickson – Malone

TE – 3 – Eifert, Kroft, Hewitt (FB)

RT – Fisher, Winston

RG – Smith, Hopkins

C – Bodine, Johnson

LG – Boling, Dielman, Westerman

LT – Ogbuehi,

Total Offense 26

LDE – Dunlap, Clarke

NT – Sims, Billings

DT – Atkins, Williams

RDE – Johnson, Willis, C.Smith

SLB – Lawson, Vigil

MLB – Minter, Rey

WLB – Burfict, Evans (Burfict won’t count 5 weeks)

CB – Kirkpatirck, Jones, Dennard, Jackson, Shaw (jones won’t count week one)

S – Williams, Smith, Iloka Fejedelem,

Total Defense – 24 (Two suspended) 22

P – Huber

KO - Bullock and ELLIOTT

LS - Harris

P- Huber

Special Teams 5

That’s 55 less the two suspended is 53 – After Jones comes back Elliott is cut or traded, Someone will go to IR before Burfict returns leaving a spot open. Any thoughts?

I Think we will keep two kickers this year. I can not see them letting a 5th rounder go and there are a few teams that need one. Plus with all the kicking issues over the last two years - Maybe! McCarron is trade bait! If the right offer hits the table he is gone. Any offer for a mid-level OL or a third rounder and out the door he goes. (IMO)

You don't think that Ryan Glasgow, our 4th round pick, will make the roster? Dude played 40% of the snaps against Washington and has had runs with the first team in preseason. Dude plays 0 tech and 3 tech, and even as a situational player can play beside Atkins on obvious passing downs as a pass-rushing NT. 

IMHO:

NT: Simms/Billings
DT: Atkins/Glasgow

I think they can stash Williams on the practice squad again as injury insurance. I think it's far more likely that they jettison Clarke and Johnson to keep that 5th swing D-Lineman they like. (Gilberry)

I also think that Elliott goes to the PS if he can't make the roster. Yes, there are other teams that need a kicker, but few who want a guy who hasn't proven jack in the NFL, can't beat out a guy who was bagging groceries last year, and has to be promoted to the active roster if signed.

21 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I think they can stash Williams on the practice squad again as injury insurance. I think it's far more likely that they jettison Clarke and Johnson to keep that 5th swing D-Lineman they like. (Gilberry)

MJ is now a "swing" D-lineman.  He has been seeing action at DT on passing downs.

33 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You don't think that Ryan Glasgow, our 4th round pick, will make the roster? Dude played 40% of the snaps against Washington and has had runs with the first team in preseason. Dude plays 0 tech and 3 tech, and even as a situational player can play beside Atkins on obvious passing downs as a pass-rushing NT. 

IMHO:

NT: Simms/Billings
DT: Atkins/Glasgow

I also think that Elliott goes to the PS if he can't make the roster. Yes, there are other teams that need a kicker, but few who want a guy who hasn't proven jack in the NFL, can't beat out a guy who was bagging groceries last year, and has to be promoted to the active roster if signed.

No your right - glasgow - Scratch Elliott - I thought i had the D set - guess i was missing one - do you think MJ sticks or gets cut....

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

MJ is now a "swing" D-lineman.  He has been seeing action at DT on passing downs.

Or they're giving him reps there to see if he's worth keeping in that role. If anything it's more of a sign that he's fighting Gilberry for a roster spot and not Smith or Willis. I could be wrong, but that's one way to look at it.

4 hours ago, mhfinks said:

No your right - glasgow - Scratch Elliott - I thought i had the D set - guess i was missing one - do you think MJ sticks or gets cut....

Your guess is as good as mine, but Chris Smith getting a run with the first team while MJ93 fills Gilberry's role...

If I had to guess? MJ is dead money. You can let Gilberry go and bring him back in week 6 if someone gets injured where MJ is likely to get picked up by a team that remembers when he was 27. Unless MJ is just horrible, why not keep him as the swing guy and let Gilberry go? MJ can also drop in coverage.... kind of. So I think he squeaks in as the 4th DE just due to versatility.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Won't happen, Billings is not ready to be the starter at NT.

No, I don't expect it would.  I don't think Sims is ready to be the starter at NT either, is all.  He's been a tick better than OK as a rotational player.  I think he will wear down quickly when asked to play 4 quarters.  

I can't wait to see who the final 53 or 55(suspensions) will be! Damn I'm ready for some football! WHODEY - I also have changed my opinion on K - I think Elliott gets the nod. He's young, strong leg, and has room to grow. We will see.

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

No, I don't expect it would.  I don't think Sims is ready to be the starter at NT either, is all.  He's been a tick better than OK as a rotational player.  I think he will wear down quickly when asked to play 4 quarters.  

My guess is they split time. Maybe even down to 50/50 percentage wise.

50 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

No way MJ gets cut.  He is not near as bad as a lot of people around here claim.

I don't believe he will get cut - i was asking? However, I think there will be some surprise cuts that no one saw coming. I don't think we keep three QBs, I do think we keep 7 WRs, and I am all for keeping two kickers - but as seen above that most likely won't happen. So Fred do you think there will be any surprise cuts? and who?

1 hour ago, mhfinks said:

I don't believe he will get cut - i was asking? However, I think there will be some surprise cuts that no one saw coming. I don't think we keep three QBs, I do think we keep 7 WRs, and I am all for keeping two kickers - but as seen above that most likely won't happen. So Fred do you think there will be any surprise cuts? and who?

Don't know if you can call it a surprise, but this guy....

24 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

What about Gilberry?  .

I actually like Gilberry a lot.  He played a key role on some very good defenses after we signed him off the street.  But I have seen both MJ and Chris Smith play DT on passing downs this preseason.  I think Gilberry is done.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

No way MJ gets cut.  He is not near as bad as a lot of people around here claim.

You have to assume that we keep 4 DE's. Dunlap, Willis and Smith have all shown they're going to make the 53.

So, the next tier down is Johnson, Clarke and Gilberry. You have to pick one of those three for the final roster spot. I think MJ makes it. As mentioned, Clarke and Gilberry could probably be cut and still be there in week 8 if someone gets injured. 

IMHO, Johnson makes the roster.

8 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You have to assume that we keep 4 DE's. Dunlap, Willis and Smith have all shown they're going to make the 53.

So, the next tier down is Johnson, Clarke and Gilberry. You have to pick one of those three for the final roster spot. I think MJ makes it. As mentioned, Clarke and Gilberry could probably be cut and still be there in week 8 if someone gets injured. 

IMHO, Johnson makes the roster.

I think Clarke makes it and we keep 9 D-linemen.

Clarke had more sacks per snap than Dunlap last year.  I am not claiming he is anywhere near as good as Dunlap, but he is a big, long guy who runs very well.  If we cut him some other team will pick him up.

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

My guess is they split time. Maybe even down to 50/50 percentage wise.

Hopefully.  If Billings is going to be the answer at NT in the long term he should be taking snaps away from Sims before the season ends.  Said it before but that's a very underrated position.  

Archived