Stock Up. Stock Down after Bengals' 4th Preseason Game

http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/31/stock-up-stock-down-after-bengals-fourth-preseason-game/

Stock Up, Stock Down After the Bengals' Fourth Preseason Game

As the final audition for most on the end of the Cincinnati Bengals roster, Thursday’s preseason Week 4 loss to the Indianapolis Colts didn’t disappoint.

There, the Bengals saw notable developments at spots like running back and injuries threw a wrench in at least one roster battle.

Below, let’s take a look at the notable stock movers ahead of the team cutting down the roster over the weekend.

STOCK UP

Jordan Evans

It was hard to miss No. 50 on Thursday night.

Then again, Evans has been on fire the entire preseason, looking nothing like a sixth-round pick. The rookie has flashed like this in each exhibition, so his shining again with mostly backups on the field was expected.

The strong performance on Thursday has to make one wonder how much we’ll see Evans on the field with Vontaze Burfict suspended. Vincent Rey figures to see plenty of snaps, but Evans certainly has a case for playing time.

Jarveon Williams

With Cedric Peerman out for the year and Tra Carson sitting on Thursday night for an undisclosed reason, Williams took over and looked good.

The numbers don’t mean much, but Williams finished with 27 carries for 117 yards.

More importantly, Williams looked elusive as a runner and picked up chunk yardage most of the time. Peerman going down made it seem like Carson was the lock for the final running back spot.

Williams, who would fit nicely on the practice squad, still had something to say on the matter.

Derron Smith

In a game with little actually happening,  Smith passed the eye test.

Expected to see some significant snaps if Shawn Williams misses time, Smith needed a quality showing to at least solidify the injury-insurance plan.

There aren’t any big numbers to reference, but Smith stood out among backups, as he should. The range to get across the field was there and the Bengals had to be happy to see it after a preseason of hype at the position mostly centered on Clayton Fejedelem.

STOCK DOWN

John Ross 

It is hard to knock a player who suffered an injury too much.

That said, Ross’ stock definitely takes a dive after he exited Thursday’s game in the first half. The development was even more bittersweet after he took an end-around 25 yards up the field.

If fans wanted to see more of Ross on the field starting in Week 1, he needed to show some ability while moving around the field against the Colts. His speed looked good with blockers in front of him on the big play, but whether he can line up inside and out and win was something the Bengals were probably going to look at.

Now all involved are left wondering.

Jeff Driskel

Driskel hurting his thumb and forcing AJ McCarron back into the game was bad for everyone.

The Bengals wanted to see more from Driskel after a few strong preseason performances. Before Thursday, his play had started to legitimize the question concerning whether the Bengals would keep three quarterbacks rostered.

Granted, the injury doesn’t mean Driskel loses a job. Maybe he gets stashed on injured reserve. But the Bengals had plans to see him for almost a full game and Driskel would have benefited from other teams having the same tape on the chance the Bengals let him go.

Andre Smith

Playing backup left tackle in the fourth preseason game isn’t a good sign for a former first-round pick.

With Smith, the coaching staff probably wants to see if he should beat Eric Winston for the backup swing tackle role. But he already lost the right guard spot to Trey Hopkins and Winston got to play on the right side Thursday night.

Smith out of position and not sniffing the starting five likely means he isn’t long for the roster unless the coaches find something they like on the tape.

It’s going to be a long 48 hours or so for Smith and other names on the bubble.

35 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Andre Smith

Playing backup left tackle in the fourth preseason game isn’t a good sign for a former first-round pick.

With Smith, the coaching staff probably wants to see if he should beat Eric Winston for the backup swing tackle role. But he already lost the right guard spot to Trey Hopkins and Winston got to play on the right side Thursday night.

Smith out of position and not sniffing the starting five likely means he isn’t long for the roster unless the coaches find something they like on the tape.

Not sure I understand this point.

How does Smith playing LT mean he is behind Winston?

37 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Derron Smith

In a game with little actually happening,  Smith passed the eye test.

Expected to see some significant snaps if Shawn Williams misses time, Smith needed a quality showing to at least solidify the injury-insurance plan.

There aren’t any big numbers to reference, but Smith stood out among backups, as he should. The range to get across the field was there and the Bengals had to be happy to see it after a preseason of hype at the position mostly centered on Clayton Fejedelem.

Actually I have assumed that Fejedelem would play for Williams, and Shaw would be the first option at the other safety position.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Actually I have assumed that Fejedelem would play for Williams, and Shaw would be the first option at the other safety position.

Are you a Game of Thrones fan?  My favorite line from the series is when Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage) is trying to free the young dragons.

"I'm her to help you.  Please don't eat the help".

Meaning, in this instance, I don't have a clue.  I just copied and pasted from the web site I stumbled into.  Just threw it up here for gits and shingles.  I didn't even realize Darron Smith was playing and what I did see of Andre, he was struggling badly.

14 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Because instead of putting Smith at his natural position, Right Tackle they put Winston there.  We already know Winston is a better Left Tackle (more important position)  than Smith so if Winston can play right tackle OK Smith is gone.

Reality is Smith's play has fallen off a cliff. He came into the league as a lazy out of shape player and will go out the same at age 30. Should be working on a high 7 figure contract right now given his natural athletic talent but he never had the heart. Meanwhile, 35 year old Andrew Whitworth is getting paid 11 mil a year.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Because instead of putting Smith at his natural position, Right Tackle they put Winston there.  We already know Winston is a better Left Tackle (more important position)  than Smith so if Winston can play right tackle OK Smith is gone.

Reality is Smith's play has fallen off a cliff. He came into the league as a lazy out of shape player and will go out the same at age 30. Should be working on a high 7 figure contract right now given his natural athletic talent but he never had the heart. Meanwhile, 35 year old Andrew Whitworth is getting paid 11 mil a year.

Yeah, Andre is gone.  Would not doubt if Winston is, too.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Agree that Dre looks washed up, but he did have a couple of good years for us.  Never lived up to his draft status, but not a complete bust.

What off season was it that he missed most of the OTAs and minicamps for some unknown "personal reason"?  If I remember correctly it seems like his play went down after that.

I thought he might serve as a decent stop gap OG this year, but he came in with a sore elbow and has not shown much of anything this preseason.

14 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Agree that Dre looks washed up, but he did have a couple of good years for us.  Never lived up to his draft status, but not a complete bust.

What off season was it that he missed most of the OTAs and minicamps for some unknown "personal reason"?  If I remember correctly it seems like his play went down after that.

I thought he might serve as a decent stop gap OG this year, but he came in with a sore elbow and has not shown much of anything this preseason.

Had a couple of good years, signed a contract, mailed it in.

23 hours ago, fredtoast said:

A high talent level can cover up fat and lazy when they are young, but as they approach 30 reality sets in.

To paraphrase Dennis Green, "He is who we thought he was."

On 9/1/2017 at 6:10 PM, High School Harry said:

Are you a Game of Thrones fan?  My favorite line from the series is when Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage) is trying to free the young dragons.

"I'm her to help you.  Please don't eat the help".

There are many to choose from, but the first that comes to mind

tumblr_n3q814MpR31qzcxzqo3_250.gif

9 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Actually you were wrong about him becuse you said he would never be any good.

WTF are you even talking about?  I wasn't even on this board when Andre the Hutt was drafted.  

Are you so damned insecure you just spend all day telling everyone they are wrong?  Get a life.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

WTF are you even talking about?  I wasn't even on this board when Andre the Hutt was drafted.  

Are you so damned insecure you just spend all day telling everyone they are wrong?  Get a life.

I never said you were on the board, so WTF are YOU talking about.  You used the term "we" I know exactly who you are talking about.  Before you tell me to "get a life" explain to everyone here why you used the term "we". 

Why does everyone immediately move to personal insults when I show that they were wrong?  

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I never said you were on the board, so WTF are YOU talking about.  You used the term "we" I know exactly who you are talking about.  Before you tell me to "get a life" explain to everyone here why you used the term "we". 

Why does everyone immediately move to personal insults when I show that they were wrong?  

I didn't use the word "we" Dennis Green did.  How in the hell did you prove me wrong?  Just said I was wrong and claimed I thought Smith would never be any good.  I never said any of that.  WTF?

Why is it the guy who hands out the most insults screams the loudest when they come his way?

16 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I didn't use the word "we" Dennis Green did.  How in the hell did you prove me wrong?  Just said I was wrong and claimed I thought Smith would never be any good.  I never said any of that.  WTF?

Why is it the guy who hands out the most insults screams the loudest when they come his way?

Here is the deal.  The first couple of years Smith was here message boards and talk radio were full of "fans" claiming Smith was a complete bust.  From what you said it is pretty clear you were one of those guys.  You will probably try to deny it now, but that is the way it always works.  I've been around long enough to hear the masses crying that Justin Smith was a bum who would ot start for other NFL teams, Andrew Whitworth could not handle speed rushers and needed to be moved to guard, Leon hall was too slow to be a decent CB, Dre Kirkpatrick was the 114th ranked CB in the league, and no other team in the league would have Peko as a starter.  But when every one of those things was proven to be wrong the masses who made the claims disappear.

Same thing with big Dre.  When he played like a top level RT all the people who called him a bust went into hiding.  And you were one of those people.  That is why you quoted Dennys Green and used the term "we".

BTW you will rarely see me resort to any sort of ad hominem argument.  All I do is tell people they are wrong about some football issue and then they respond by pitching a little fit and hurling personal insults at me.  Just exactly like what happened with you in this thread.

48 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Here is the deal.  The first couple of years Smith was here message boards and talk radio were full of "fans" claiming Smith was a complete bust.  From what you said it is pretty clear you were one of those guys.  You will probably try to deny it now, but that is the way it always works.  I've been around long enough to hear the masses crying that Justin Smith was a bum who would ot start for other NFL teams, Andrew Whitworth could not handle speed rushers and needed to be moved to guard, Leon hall was too slow to be a decent CB, Dre Kirkpatrick was the 114th ranked CB in the league, and no other team in the league would have Peko as a starter.  But when every one of those things was proven to be wrong the masses who made the claims disappear.

Same thing with big Dre.  When he played like a top level RT all the people who called him a bust went into hiding.  And you were one of those people.  That is why you quoted Dennys Green and used the term "we".

BTW you will rarely see me resort to any sort of ad hominem argument.  All I do is tell people they are wrong about some football issue and then they respond by pitching a little fit and hurling personal insults at me.  Just exactly like what happened with you in this thread.

So, you just assume what kind of guy I am and you are automatically right?  That's nuts. 

Smith was, and is, a talented fat guy who had some good years, but has ended up marginalized because he doesn't take care of himself.  If you have a decent argument, that's fine.  You have done nothing but create a straw man.  Again.

Your specific behavior is nothing but typical internet troll behavior.  Are you like this in person too, or just an internet jackass?  Yes, I'm insulting you.  You deserve it.  Welcome to the ignore list.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

So, you just assume what kind of guy I am and you are automatically right?  That's nuts.

There is nothing wrong with making assumptions based on observed facts.  That is how people make decisions every single day.

You used the term "we" and you still have not explained who this "we" could possibly be other than the crowd who claimed Smith was a complete  bust. 

Also, when I call someone out on something this minor that does not apply to them they usually don't start squealing and squirting all over themselves the way you are.  That only happens when I call someone out on something they know is 100% correct.

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Andre Smith was the #6 overall player chosen in the 2009 Draft.  He managed to play in 13 games his first two years due to injury.  Had a few good years then left.  Not exactly a bust but pretty bad for a #6 pick.  In all fairness, the 2009 draft was horrible.  Based on career AV, Rey Maualuga is considered the 16th best player in that draft, James Laurinaitis comes in at #5. 

Archived