Is the Bengals offensive line really that bad?

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

You wanna win consistently? Have a good O-Line and D-Line. Stop picking fucking cornerbacks in the first round every other year!! They mean nothing if you don't get pressure. Stop picking fucking RB's in round 2 every single year!!! They mean nothing without a line that can open huge holes for them!

Over the last three drafts the Stealers have only used on pick in the top 3 rounds on a lineman (3rd round DT in '16) but have used 4 picks on CBs (1 first, 2 seconds, and a third)

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Before his injury Kyle Cook was one of the better Centers in the AFC.

We are getting off track here although your point is valid.  We can still pick up playable FA interior lineman if we had to. The tackle position is a trainwreck right now and I can't see it being fixed during the season.  

Think about this, Andy Dalton started as a rookie behind this offensive line:  Andrew Whitworth, Nate Livings, Kyle Cook, Bobbie Williams, Young Andre Smith.   We also had Anthony Collins  OT and rookie Clint Boling OG on the bench.  Nobody on our current team would start above any of these starters.   Collins was decent NFL backup and Boling is our best lineman now. 

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Over the last three drafts the Stealers have only used on pick in the top 3 rounds on a lineman (3rd round DT in '16) but have used 4 picks on CBs (1 first, 2 seconds, and a third)

If we could develop OL and DL in the middle rounds, I'd be all for that strategy.

As it stands, our OL coach has almost NEVER developed an offensive lineman picked after round 2. Rich Braham, Mike Goff, Clint Boling, Rod Jones? Kevin Sargent? Eric Ghiaciuc? Stacy Andrews? Nate Livings? Dennis Roland? Kyle Cook? Russell Bodine? Abominable

As it stands, some of our recent defensive linemen picked after round 1 include Devon Still, Brandon Thompson, Margus Hunt, Will Clarke, Marcus Hardison, Andrew Billings.

Pathetic 

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

This just is not true at all.

The man witnessed his defensive lineman counterpart back up, jump, and try to swat the ball down.

Bodine also decided to back up, jump, and swat the ball down.

I've never seen that before. That an NFL offensive lineman would do that speaks to his instincts and our OL coach's sheer incompetence. 

The left tackle spot hasn't been an issue since Marvin arrived, that is until this year.  Levi and Whit combined to lock down the position for 14 straight seasons with only one small interruption.  The Bengals used early picks and both of them developed into solid players.  Unfortunately, it looks like their luck has run out with Ogbuehi.  He is well on his way to bust status.  It looks like a costly mistake, but nobody hits on every pick.  

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The left tackle spot hasn't been an issue since Marvin arrived, that is until this year.  Levi and Whit combined to lock down the position for 14 straight seasons with only one small interruption.  The Bengals used early picks and both of them developed into solid players.  Unfortunately, it looks like their luck has run out with Ogbuehi.  He is well on his way to bust status.  It looks like a costly mistake, but nobody hits on every pick.  

I agree, to a point.  The Bengals let a pro-bowl LT walk.  The guy they promised was ready to replace him had struggled mightily at RT the prior season.  When you do that and fail you deserve the criticism that comes your way. 

It appears the draft pick was a mistake, which happens.  Insisting he is a quality player when time after time the guy proves he is not is idiocy. 

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Good point...He has to go...get someione else in there immediately!!

Without Hopkins, there is going to be a semi-rearrange along the line anyway. I keep seeing TJ Johnson listed at RG now...and maybe due to the short week, that is what they will have to do. Figure they will give Ced another go Thursday, and keep things status quo for the week. I would have to believe-even with an OK performance Thursday--they look hard at someone else at RG and LT heading to GB. 

Fisher was OK at RT on Sunday...and he was OK all pre-season. I am not so sure he gets moved around. But, he was the anchor LT for Mariotta at UO, so he can play the position. Andre may not be his old OK self anymore, but he does know the RT spot. Bring Winston back? 

Look, I saw with my own eyes what an actual disaster of an offensive line was: 1993. This year's may look bad, but it is nothing close to that one.

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The left tackle spot hasn't been an issue since Marvin arrived, that is until this year.  Levi and Whit combined to lock down the position for 14 straight seasons with only one small interruption.  The Bengals used early picks and both of them developed into solid players.  

Funny how history gets revised around here.

For years many fans here claimed that Whitworth was too slow to pass protect against speed rushers and that he needed to be moved back to guard.  Back then the Bengals coaches were "too stupid" to admit they made a mistake by moving Whit to LT.

Fred, the revisionist history is on your end.  The fans didn't move Whit to guard out of necessity, the coaches did due to injury.  And it was never more than a small minority who wanted to make it permanent.  And I am fairly certain the main argument was that moving to guard might extend his career, not because he sucked.

Personally, I have been worried about the line since last year's regression.  It only got worse when the unit lost its best two players in free agency.  The team's response that all was well and to trust PA to develop young players looks pretty bad at this point.  The season looks lost because the team allowed the line to deteriorate rapidly and pretty much everyone saw it coming.

Funny how history gets revised around here.

For years many fans here claimed that Whitworth was too slow to pass protect against speed rushers and that he needed to be moved back to guard.  Back then the Bengals coaches were "too stupid" to admit they made a mistake by moving Whit to LT.

I so don't recall that. Most bengal fans I know believe whit was a hall of fame player. Completely dominate. Please cite some references to that

On 9/13/2017 at 6:15 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Fred, the revisionist history is on your end.  The fans didn't move Whit to guard out of necessity, the coaches did due to injury.  And it was never more than a small minority who wanted to make it permanent.  And I am fairly certain the main argument was that moving to guard might extend his career, not because he sucked.

Personally, I have been worried about the line since last year's regression.  It only got worse when the unit lost its best two players in free agency.  The team's response that all was well and to trust PA to develop young players looks pretty bad at this point.  The season looks lost because the team allowed the line to deteriorate rapidly and pretty much everyone saw it coming.

Considering that Marvin didn't even get to decide who suited up on game day until 2011, Alexander might have been telling Mike and Katie that Ced sucked for months... The Brown family is going to Brown family.

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

The O Line was NOT horrible last night.  Dalton was horrible. 

3 sacks & ~80 yards rushing if you count a reverse and QB scramble.  Granted I didn't watch the game but that's pretty bad, if not horrible.

But hey by all means run McSkeeter out there & we can watch a different QB get pummeled.  Variety is nice.

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

3 sacks & ~80 yards rushing if you count a reverse and QB scramble.  Granted I didn't watch the game but that's pretty bad, if not horrible.

But hey by all means run McSkeeter out there & we can watch a different QB get pummeled.  Variety is nice.

Well it isn't hard to stop the run when they know it is coming and where.  The offensive play selection was abysmal.  Again not horrible but far from good.  Offense looked like pre season vanilla.

Trying to decipher Marvin's comments and the comments from the locker room I would say Zampese may be in trouble. 

Marvin did not defend him in the press conference like he did Dalton.  He just said "we aren't going to talk about that now."

AJ Green's and Adam Jones' comments point straight at Zampese. 

He might get another week with "help" from someone to see if there is improvement, but I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him sacked. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

The OL was better than last week but that's not really saying much. Still didn't do the team any favors. If it takes McCarron, Driskel, and any other QB they can find getting mauled and their timing thrown off for people to realize the biggest issue on the team, then so be it, hopefully the coaching staff plays a carousel of QBs so we can get down to who we should place the majority of the blame on.

Off topic - I know I've pointed out things that happen on this board that seem weird/different compared to every other form of Bengals media, but WTF is with everyone on here calling AJ McCarron "McScooter", "Scooter", "McSkeeter", etc. etc.?? I'm really interested to know where that one started, I've never seen that before in my life outside of Go Bengals.

9 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Off topic - I know I've pointed out things that happen on this board that seem weird/different compared to every other form of Bengals media, but WTF is with everyone on here calling AJ McCarron "McScooter", "Scooter", "McSkeeter", etc. etc.?? I'm really interested to know where that one started, I've never seen that before in my life outside of Go Bengals.

LMAO..  So it started here with people calling him "Cooter" or "McCo0ter", IDK where that started but I assume it's because he played at 'Bama and does kind of look/act the part.

Now you have to understand that Go, the board owner, absolutely HATES Andy Dalton.  Like, loathes the guy, in a "you have disrespected my ancestors" sort of way.  Long running joke around here.  So, naturally, he's a big AJ fan.  Or maybe he just hates Dalton so much that Dalton's backup and possible replacement is automatically great.  Either way, he took offense to the nickname, and set up a board filter that turns McCo0ter (with o's instead of zeros) into AJ "Way Better Than Dalton" McCarron.  Which is hilarious.

Not to be outwitted by some forum software, now we use every other stereotypical hillbilly name we can think of instead. 

30 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

He might get another week with "help" from someone to see if there is improvement, but I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him sacked. 

I would be..  When was the last time Redeemer legit fired someone? Not declined to renew their contract, but actually fired?

Archived