Is the Bengals offensive line really that bad?

We won't know until they play actual games that count.  You don't play the starters all game during preseason so we don't know how well they can adapt during a game and how they will hold up for 4 quarters yet.  Don't forget coaches have to coach during these games as well and they haven't had to do much either since they only go a few series in pre season then they replace entire units. 

What NFL team does this kid scout for?

PA has been our O-line coach for 20+ years, and it is silly to claim that he has no voice in what O-linemen we draft.  In 20+ years PA has been our O-line coach Ogbuehi is the first high draft pick that has ever flopped.

To claim he does not know what to look for in O-linemen is ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

What NFL team does this kid scout for?

Dadio McDuck... All of his videos are worth what you paid for them. I appreciate the guys fandom, but his takes are generally worse than any random forum poster. 

The rest are Cincy Jungle writers... Again, not much other than fan opinions. No real other qualifications.

5 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The rest are Cincy Jungle writers... Again, not much other than fan opinions. No real other qualifications.

But I would have to say, we, too, on this board, are fans. We have no qualifications unlike the news media who have  qualifications. But as wrong as the sporting (and regular news media) people with qualifications have been, I would say we get it right more times than not without qualifications. I have not watched or listened to experts with qualifications on ESPN and people with qualifications like Boomer Esiason and Chris Collinsworth for a year now. I am clueless what ESPN, Boomer, Chris, and other highly paid experts with qualifications are saying about the Bengals, but I bet Bengals forum website writers without qualifications are getting it right more times then the $1,000,000 talking heads football experts with qualifications

1 minute ago, Rick said:

But I would have to say, we, too, on this board, are fans. We have no qualifications unlike the news media who have  qualifications. But as wrong as the sporting (and regular news media) people with qualifications have been, I would say we get it right more times than not without qualifications. I have not watched or listened to experts with qualifications on ESPN and people with qualifications like Boomer Esiason and Chris Collinsworth for a year now. I am clueless what ESPN, Boomer, Chris, and other highly paid experts with qualifications are saying about the Bengals, but I bet Bengals forum website writers without qualifications are getting it right more times then the $1,000,000 talking heads football experts with qualifications

Slow yer roll sparky.

First of all, I'm calling out Dadio, who's videos I'm familiar with and have never found insightful. Much like you have a right to say Boomer's opinion is crap, I can say the same for someone else. 

Another poster questioned who the kid was that was saying something we all know to be laughably false. I pointed out that he's a Cincy Jungle writer. (You know the website that practically begs you to become a writer) And frankly, I can't find a single thing that tells me that this guy ever strapped on a set of shoulder pads, was a coaching intern.... Nothing. Most of the posters on this board have been fans and commentors for longer than he has. He has no special knowledge, etc... His opinion is no less or more valid than mine, or Fred's, or yours. When he says something laughably false, it should lead you to question the rest of his opinions.

"Andy Dalton: Here's why he's going to be the greatest Black QB to ever play the game..." How much stock are you going to put into any sentence I type after that?

I can run out now and make a video saying out O-Line is going to be the best in football.... Doesn't mean it means anything. I can regurgitate Mel Kiper for 5 minutes, it doesn't make my opinion worth any more or less. It's just a video forum post. You can agree, disagree, or call it food for thought.

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Do they have a website or forum? If so, can you add a link to them? Thanks.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Paul Alexander, the one that talked up Livings & Dennis Roland?  That Paul Alexander? The one whose group couldn't keep our QB upright the last 2 seasons?

Having been on staff for 20+ years is a good thing? Because of all the success he's had, right?

:EWBTE-min:

Well he also talked up Anderson and Whitworth and Steinbach and Braham and a lot of others.  And in Livings case, didn't some else pay him big money?  Wonder what they saw?

4 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Well he also talked up Anderson and Whitworth and Steinbach and Braham and a lot of others.  And in Livings case, didn't some else pay him big money?  Wonder what they saw?

My guess is they wouldn't have let Whit go if they thought Cedric O could not play at a decent level. If Ogbeuhi is total garbage this year then I will rethink my opinion of Alexander but for now its pretty solid. 

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Paul Alexander, the one that talked up Livings & Dennis Roland?  That Paul Alexander? The one whose group couldn't keep our QB upright the last 2 seasons?

Having been on staff for 20+ years is a good thing? Because of all the success he's had, right?

:EWBTE-min:

The OL has been pretty strong here for a long time.  If Ced flops it would be his first bad pick in early rounds that I can remember.  The only position he seems to be clueless in how to scout is center.  This team has been blessed for a really long time with really good tackles.

PA has personally vouched for Bodine and Ced.  If they fail or continue to fail, then he must be wrong about his scouting or he is not able to coach the best out of them.  If the line does come together and defy the low expectations,  PA will get credit, deservedly so.  His reputation as a top line coach is being put to the test with nothing less than the fate of the entire offense in the balance.  Time to prove your value.

20 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Paul Alexander, the one that talked up Livings & Dennis Roland?  That Paul Alexander?

Bill Belichick, the one that signed Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth?  That Bill Belichick?

PA Spoke well of Livings and Roland because that is what he was given to work with.  In the 13 years between first round picks Willie Anderson ('96) and Andre Smith ('09) the Bengals used a grand total of 3 picks in the first two rounds on O-linemen (Levi Jones '02, Stenbach '03, Whitworth '06) and only two more in the 3rd round (C Rod Payne '97, Mike Goff '98).  The Bengals spent an entire DECADE ('99-'08) only using a total of 3 picks in the top 3 rounds on O-linemen.  Alexander coached the largest unit on the team (5 starters) while getting less talent in the draft than any other position. 

Richie Braham had been cut by the Cardinals when we signed him.  Stacy Andrews only played a handful of snaps in college.  Evan Mathis had been cut by two teams in two years when the Bengals signed him.  Nate Living, Kyle Cook, and Dennis Roland were all undrafted free agents.  Livings played well enough to earn a big free agent contract with the Cowboys, and Kyle Cook was a very good center before he was injured.  Anthony Collins was a 4th round pick who played well enough to earn a big free agent contract when he left the Bengals.

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

PA has personally vouched for Bodine and Ced.  If they fail or continue to fail, then he must be wrong about his scouting or he is not able to coach the best out of them.  If the line does come together and defy the low expectations,  PA will get credit, deservedly so.  His reputation as a top line coach is being put to the test with nothing less than the fate of the entire offense in the balance.  Time to prove your value.

This.  While I often defend PA's track record I also see that his players have not performed up to snuff recently.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Did you just compare Paul Alexander to Bill Belichick?  

No.  I showed the logical fallacy in his argument by using Bill Belichick as an example.

You can not prove that a whole is defective just by cherry picking one or two defective parts.

Just now, fredtoast said:

No.  I showed the logical fallacy in his argument by using Bill Belichick as an example.

You can not prove that a whole is defective just by cherry picking one or two defective parts.

Neither can you prove that a whole is effective just by cherry picking.  I think we're done here?

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Neither can you prove that a whole is effective just by cherry picking.  I think we're done here?

I did not cherry pick.  I looked at over 20 years of drafts with PA as our O-line coach and only see 9 O-linemen taken in the first two rounds.  Until the '15 draft not a single on of them had flopped.  In fact, every one of them had at one point been ranked among the best in the league at his position.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

I did not cherry pick.  I looked at over 20 years of drafts with PA as our O-line coach and only see 9 O-linemen taken in the first two rounds.  Until the '15 draft not a single on of them had flopped.  In fact, every one of them had at one point been ranked among the best in the league at his position.

That's interesting.  By PFF or someone reputable?

Archived