How far can Andy Dalton take the Bengals?

49 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

A punt with no coverage team to attempt a tackle.

Not such a great idea.

It's actually a great idea if you're trailing by two scores late without enough time to have two more possessions. In fact, it would be your only option if you're interested in winning the game.  Not all interceptions are the same. Not like station to station baseball where stats never lie.

10 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Dalton has thrown 14 ints in 15 prime time games since 2011.  That is not even close to Eli Mannings 31 over the same period of time.

But thanks for showing how totally clueless the Dalton haters are.  Keep up the good work.....Bra.

:lol:

You dont watch Bengal games do you? Announcer put up the big screen on Thursday night showing stats. Did you watch the game? Dalton has almost 15 ints in the playoffs let alone Monday, Sunday and Thursday night football. 

2 minutes ago, fresno bengal said:

You dont watch Bengal games do you? Announcer put up the big screen on Thursday night showing stats. Did you watch the game? Dalton has almost 15 ints in the playoffs let alone Monday, Sunday and Thursday night football. 

Dude....

He has 6 in the playoffs. Six. 6. Seis. Seese. SIX.

In your world, 6 is almost 15, 32 is almost 82, and Geno was drafted after Andy.

You're the shittiest troll of all time. At least the good trolls have real statistics to use and know what the fuck they're talking about.

2 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Dude....

He has 6 in the playoffs. Six. 6. Seis. Seese. SIX.

In your world, 6 is almost 15, 32 is almost 82, and Geno was drafted after Andy.

You're the shittiest troll of all time. At least the good trolls have real statistics to use and know what the fuck they're talking about.

15-6=9

Are arguing Dalton has thrown 9 ints besides the playoffs in prime time?

35 minutes ago, fresno bengal said:

How the fuck do you ALMOST have 15 ints?  Are you counting passes that were Almost intercepted as well?

21 minutes ago, fresno bengal said:

32 prime time ints since 2011. Most in the NFL. Dispute that!

Well its not true,.. not even close.  Neither stat is close to true.  Sorry dude, one more bogus stat like this and you will be on vacation for awhile. 

33 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He is the master of playing like total shit in almost every prime time game he plays. 

Remind me again, how many prime time games has McCarron has won?

Your slobbering over AJ posting a 87.8 rating in a prime time loss to the Broncos, yet you completely ignore that the very same year Dalton had a 139.8 rating in a prime time win over the Browns and a 99.8 rating in a prime time loss to the Cards after he led a late come from behind drive to give the Bengals the lead with less than a minute to play.

In '13 Dalton beat the Stealers in prime time throwing for 280 yards and zero interceptions.  In '14 he posted a 117.4 rating against the Patriots in prime time and beat the Broncos in prime time while posting a 93.1 passer rating.  And just last year he beat a playoff team (Dolphins) in prime time while posting a 111.8 passer rating.

I am not going to deny that overall Dalton has struggled in prime time, but he has multiple wins against playoff teams in prime time as well as multiple games with a 100 plus passer rating.  McCarron has one prime time game where he only had 200 passing yards and lost the game with a fumble in overtime.

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Well its not true,.. not even close.  Neither stat is close to true.  Sorry dude, one more bogus stat like this and you will be on vacation for awhile. 

Sorry for feeding teh trollz but it's just frustrating.

At least you and a couple of the other guys use legitimate arguments when in this type of conversation even if it's something I don't necessarily agree with.

This dude is just a turd that gets banned on every board he goes to.

7 minutes ago, fresno bengal said:

32 prime time ints since 2011. Most in the NFL. Dispute that!

Okay, I will.  Dalton has played 18 prime time games and has only thrown 15 ints.  I will even list them all for you if you like.

But thanks for showing how completely ignorant the Dalton haters can be.  Keep up the good work, bra.

11 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Your slobbering over AJ posting a 87.8 rating in a prime time loss to the Broncos, yet you completely ignore that the very same year Dalton had a 139.8 rating in a prime time win over the Browns and a 99.8 rating in a prime time loss to the Cards after he led a late come from behind drive to give the Bengals the lead with less than a minute to play.

In '13 Dalton beat the Stealers in prime time throwing for 280 yards and zero interceptions.  In '14 he posted a 117.4 rating against the Patriots in prime time and beat the Broncos in prime time while posting a 93.1 passer rating.  And just last year he beat a playoff team (Dolphins) in prime time while posting a 111.8 passer rating.

I am not going to deny that overall Dalton has struggled in prime time, but he has multiple wins against playoff teams in prime time as well as multiple games with a 100 plus passer rating.  McCarron has one prime time game where he only had 200 passing yards and lost the game with a fumble in overtime.

Fred, I don't think McCarron is the answer, why do you keep going back to him?  Andy's 2 Primetime games 4 and 3 years ago?  He hasn't played well since 2015.  

I don't like Dalton as our QB and have no faith in him to lead us anywhere.  Melts under adversity.  All I do is sigh and mutter, "Here we fucking go again" as soon as I see him take the field at the beginning of a game.   He is the best option right now but he isn't playing like a franchise QB anymore and hasn't for sometime.   If you want to blame Zampese then that is a conversation I will listen to but a veteran QB like Dalton should have stepped up and told Zampese to do something after the Buffalo abortion last year. Stats for 2014 are not going to sway me, I have watched the last 18 games and he isn't good anymore. 

27 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Fred, I don't think McCarron is the answer, why do you keep going back to him?  Andy's 2 Primetime games 4 and 3 years ago?  He hasn't played well since 2015. 

Just last year he beat a playoff team in prime time while posting a 111.8 passer rating.

Andy Dalton is our Ken Anderson. Fans always wanted someone better than ol' Kenny, and we even went out and got Jack Thompson. Heck in 1981 when we went to the super-bowl, they pulled Anderson for Schonert early in the season. Bill Walsh even famously quipped that if Greg Cook hadn't gotten injured we'd have never heard of Ken Anderson.

So, maybe it's fitting that Dalton is the first player since Ken to wear the #14 for the Bengals.

By 2028, we'll be drafting Akili Smith Jr. and remembering the good old days when Andy Dalton was our greatest QB ever.

11 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

By 2028, we'll be drafting Akili Smith Jr. and remembering the good old days when Andy Dalton was our greatest QB ever.

Or even if in 2018 a rookie Josh Rosen leads us to a Super Bowl victory, at least some of us will still appreciate what Andy has done in Cincinnati.

Not saying that scenario is likely whatsoever, but I'd still defend the guy if we draft a QB next year regardless of how the team performs. He was/is a good QB here and not every team can have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

I was at the Sunday night game in Arizona. Andy led them back to a tie with just over a minute left. Game was lost on a bone headed penalty that gave them an easy field goal for the win. A precursor to the wild card game. Andy did play great that game, they should have won. The intangibles that don't show up in the box score seem to always go against us. Andy has played poorly since breaking his thumb too.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Andy Dalton is our Ken Anderson. Fans always wanted someone better than ol' Kenny, and we even went out and got Jack Thompson. Heck in 1981 when we went to the super-bowl, they pulled Anderson for Schonert early in the season. Bill Walsh even famously quipped that if Greg Cook hadn't gotten injured we'd have never heard of Ken Anderson.

So, maybe it's fitting that Dalton is the first player since Ken to wear the #14 for the Bengals.

Until Dalton does something in the playoffs, that will never happen.  I was around for most of Anderson's career. Things were WAY different then, particularly the lack of free agency.  Anderson had quite a few great years leading the league in many important categories.  Dalton has not.

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Until Dalton does something in the playoffs, that will never happen.  I was around for most of Anderson's career. Things were WAY different then, particularly the lack of free agency.  Anderson had quite a few great years leading the league in many important categories.  Dalton has not.

And during those great years... We drafted Thompson, Esiason... Anderson's best season was 1981, the same year he got pulled in the very first game. Even in 1974 when he would earn his first All Pro appearance, Mike Borlya was drafted out of Stanford and was considered to be Greg Cook's successor. Gary Sheide in 1975. Anderson made the pro-bowl again in 1975 and 1976, but the leash was so short that Thompson was drafted in 1979. (Anderson threw 22 INT's against only 10 TD's in 1978) Anderson would make the Pro-Bowl again in 1981 and 1982. In 1984, we drafted Boomer in the second round.

Don't gloss over it... Anderson had some great years and some terrible ones. Anderson was under 60% completion for his career, and has 197 TD's vs. 160 INT's. That's one interception per 1.23 TD's. For reference that ratio is 1.75 for Dalton. Dalton has completed 62.7% of his career passes. (Albeit in a different era) Comparing Anderson to Montana for era, 63.2% completion, and 1 INT for every 1.96 TD's. Anderson was also setting records for being the passing leader when that required 2,667 yards on 328 attempts. Andy has only dipped down in the 300's when he missed three games due to injury. The game has changed since Anderson's day... But it has also made QB's ever more important.

31 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And during those great years... We drafted Thompson, Esiason... Anderson's best season was 1981, the same year he got pulled in the very first game. Even in 1974 when he would earn his first All Pro appearance, Mike Borlya was drafted out of Stanford and was considered to be Greg Cook's successor. Gary Sheide in 1975. Anderson made the pro-bowl again in 1975 and 1976, but the leash was so short that Thompson was drafted in 1979. (Anderson threw 22 INT's against only 10 TD's in 1978) Anderson would make the Pro-Bowl again in 1981 and 1982. In 1984, we drafted Boomer in the second round.

Don't gloss over it... Anderson had some great years and some terrible ones. Anderson was under 60% completion for his career, and has 197 TD's vs. 160 INT's. That's one interception per 1.23 TD's. For reference that ratio is 1.75 for Dalton. Dalton has completed 62.7% of his career passes. (Albeit in a different era) Comparing Anderson to Montana for era, 63.2% completion, and 1 INT for every 1.96 TD's. Anderson was also setting records for being the passing leader when that required 2,667 yards on 328 attempts. Andy has only dipped down in the 300's when he missed three games due to injury. The game has changed since Anderson's day... But it has also made QB's ever more important.

I would rather have consistently good QB play then what Ken Anderson brought to the table.  2 playoff wins in 16 years is nothing to write home about.  If you simply remove the one Superbowl year his career was very forgettable.  Kerry Collins had a similar career.

51 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I would rather have consistently good QB play then what Ken Anderson brought to the table.  2 playoff wins in 16 years is nothing to write home about.  If you simply remove the one Superbowl year his career was very forgettable.  Kerry Collins had a similar career.

Ken Anderson lead the league in passing 4 times (Steve Young is the only QB to do it more than that).  Anderson also finished in the top 10 five other seasons.  Kerry Collins never even once finished in the top ten. 

Collins had a losing record in 11 of his 16 seasons and finished 18 games under .500 for his career.  Anderson only had a losing record in 7 of 16 years and finished 10 games over .500.

It is absurd to compare Anderson's career to Kerry Collins.  Is this some sort of joke?

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

There is a huge difference between regular season games and PLAYOFF games.  I do remember McCarron's 4th and 1 PASS to Marvin Jones with 2:35 left to keep the dream alive.  Then the  25 yard TD pass to AJ Green with 1:56 left in the 4th quarter of a PLAYOFF game to TAKE THE LEAD.  I can remember the utter fear of finally being in a position to win a playoff game and the excitement as Pittsburgh trotted out their backup QB.   Then the absolute celebration as Burfict picks off Landry Jones to ice the game.  I can still remember screaming for joy and high fiving my buds in his basement.  I was holding a Miller Lite.  

Unfortunately, Marvin Lewis is our coach and his complete lack of understanding when it come to clock management, field position and situational awareness lost us a WON game.  The running back on a well coached team would never be running thru traffic with only one hand on the ball in THAT situation but Hill was.  

Yeah, McCarron, for the first time in 25 years gave me hope in a PLAYOFF game, something Dalton NEVER has.  And yes, the San Diego game scarred me for life but McCarron and company almost ALMOST removed that debacle from my memory.   Marvin should have been fired after the San Diego game.  Allowing Marvin to stay after HIS TEAM utterly shit the bed with the Pittspuke game won is simply not explainable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_225zwqSc8

I just got sick to my stomach all over again.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Don't gloss over it... Anderson had some great years and some terrible ones.

Anderson had all but 15 of his career starts between '72 and '83.  In those 12 seasons he finished in the top 10 in passer rating 9 times and only had 4 seasons with a losing record as a starter.  He did have some down years, but very few QBs have been more consistent than that.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Ken Anderson lead the league in passing 4 times (Steve Young is the only QB to do it more than that).  Anderson also finished in the top 10 five other seasons.  Kerry Collins never even once finished in the top ten. 

Collins had a losing record in 11 of his 16 seasons and finished 18 games under .500 for his career.  Anderson only had a losing record in 7 of 16 years and finished 10 games over .500.

It is absurd to compare Anderson's career to Kerry Collins.  Is this some sort of joke?

It is absolutely not absurd to compare the two.  Nobody gives a shit about stats unless they are of the Dan Marino variety.  Championships are all that matter.   Its not my rule, I didn't make it up.  Ask 100 people 60 years of age who are not Bengals or Jets fans who was the better QB, Ken Anderson or Joe Namath?  95% of them will say Namath.  Ask the same question about Ken Stabler or Roger Staubach.  Anderson might not even get a vote.

They both made the playoffs 4 times.  

Collins played in 2 Conf Championships winning 1, lost in Superbowl. 3-4 career playoff record.

Anderson played in only 1 Conf Championship winning it and lost in Superbowl. 2-4 career playoff record.

Brad Johnson played in 1 Conf Championship winning it and won Superbowl.  5 playoff appearances  finished career 19 games over .500.  Winning!

Anderson was in the Superbowl and lost.  The next year is the strike year.  They made it to the playoffs and got ass raped by the Jets 17-44.  That was his last playoff game.  One hit wonder, flash in the pan.  AMERICA likes winners, stats are secondary. Nobody was paying any attention to Ken Anderson or the Bengals in the 70s.  The 81 season was nice but it was one of only a few great seasons the team has ever had.  The only reason people remember it was it was the beginning of the great 49ers run in the 80s. 

This organization under the Brown family has only won a playoff game in 3 of its 49 seasons.    Mike Brown has ZERO playoff wins as an owner.  We have won 5 playoff games in 49 years. Joe Flacco has 10 playoff wins. 

Archived