How far can Andy Dalton take the Bengals?

I believe if our offensive line can be average, just average, I believe the play of Andy Dalton can take us to our first playoff win. If the play of the offensive line is less than average, it will be a long season.

He was realizing his potential, as was the team, when he broke his thumb on that terrible play against Pittsburgh. Went from having a great season, actually being picked up by fantasy football players, about to score on the dreaded Stealers, to season over in an instant. That's football of course, but there is an element of being snake bit to the Bengals. If fate doesn't bestow it on us, then we do it to ourselves (wild card game). I've seen Dalton play in person and I was very impressed. He really does have the talent, but will the team ever focus and fight mercilessly (and more importantly) intelligently for that extra inch? That extra inch Al Pacino refers to in, On Any Given Sunday.  I won't belabor Mike Brown or Marv, honestly I'm exhausted, but it's gonna require team cohesion to see what Andy's capable of.

8 minutes ago, A Rock said:

He was realizing his potential, as was the team, when he broke his thumb on that terrible play against Pittsburgh. Went from having a great season, actually being picked up by fantasy football players, about to score on the dreaded Stealers, to season over in an instant. That's football of course, but there is an element of being snake bit to the Bengals. If fate doesn't bestow it on us, then we do it to ourselves (wild card game). I've seen Dalton play in person and I was very impressed. He really does have the talent, but will the team ever focus and fight mercilessly (and more importantly) intelligently for that extra inch? That extra inch Al Pacino refers to in, On Any Given Sunday.  I won't belabor Mike Brown or Marv, honestly I'm exhausted, but it's gonna require team cohesion to see what Andy's capable of.

Great post!

19 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Dalton is plenty good enough to win it all.  He is not a superstar that can carry a weak team, but he is a pretty good QB.

He's better than average... Which is pretty damn good. He's also been very durable, which is a sadly overlooked quality.

It wasn't that long ago when people wanted to trade him for Kaepernick, because Kaepernick won playoff games. Now Kaepernick sucks. Andrew Luck is still "elite" because he was a first round draft pick. And so on... I recall a rtime when the Pats were doomed because Drew Bledsoe was hurt and he was an Elite QB. Carson Palmer was right up there with Manning. LOL.

See, THIS is a narrative. Nevermind the fact that Dalton has had to lead his team in the playoffs with Rex Burkehead as his #2 receiver. That he's had to work with a sub-par running game. Because we all remember Dalton fumbling with 22 seconds to go, right? It's his fault that JJ Watt beat Andre Smith like Kuntakinte two years straight. It's his fault that Marvin's a conservative pussy who would rather kneel out a half and has clock management that The Mad Hatter would find appalling.

In 2015, he had a 106.3 passer rating. In 2016, he played behind the 31st ranked line in the NFL and the running game was averaging 3.6 YPC. Slingin' Sammy Baugh couldn't have been successful in that team makeup. And it's a team game.

If you really don't like Dalton - We can always go back to the Kitna/Frerotte/Akili years... Hell, we all remember Jeff Blake's playoff appearances. I bet you that Cleveland would be thrilled to have Dalton, as would 10-16 other teams in the NFL right now. Don't be all "5/10, wouldn't bang" and appreciate that he's been solid and steady after taking over a team that was expected to be the worst in the league by a long way after Captain "Elite" Pick-6 bolted on us. How did he do again in Oakland?

Oh I was  just having fun.  Dalton is a slightly above average QB.  I would put him around 15th but based on how well Winston and Mariota progress he may drop a few spots.  He can win us a playoff game or two if things work out well. 

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Ryan

5. Rapist

6. Wilson

7. Luck

8. Newton

9. Stafford

10. Rivers

11. Palmer

12. Prescott

13. Bradford

14. Carr

15. Dalton

16. Winston

17. Mariota

18. Manning

19. Alex Smith

20. Cousins 

On 9/8/2017 at 9:38 AM, SF2 said:

Oh I was  just having fun.  Dalton is a slightly above average QB.  I would put him around 15th but based on how well Winston and Mariota progress he may drop a few spots.  He can win us a playoff game or two if things work out well. 

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Ryan

5. Rapist

6. Wilson

7. Luck

8. Newton

9. Stafford

10. Rivers

11. Palmer

12. Prescott

13. Bradford

14. Carr

15. Dalton

16. Winston

17. Mariota

18. Manning

19. Alex Smith

20. Cousins 

Sam Bradford?

Yeah, you are clearly "just having fun".

26 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Sam Bradford?

Yeah, you are clearly "just having fun".

So you are going to argue about one spot and thus proclaim my entire point invalid?  Actually, with the weapons Mariota has I will swap him for Bradford.  Andy is a mid teens QB.

Let's see your list Mr Simpson.

13 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

There used to be a poster that was run off the board because he always claimed that Dalton was just an 80's rated QB.

Maybe he was correct all along.

1/2:ninja:

I remember that. He was right, and the others were wrong. I wonder what happened to him?

What Dalton has proven over the years is that he cannot handle adversity.  He is going to get a steady diet this season.  If a team had a good offensive line and some decent receivers Dalton would get the job done.  He is out of his league playing for the Bengals this year.

Archived