How far can Andy Dalton take the Bengals?

5 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Ok, "nose-dive" doesn't mean suck. Moving right along...

Blaming Zampese for not resigning 2 of our best offensive weapons is laughable.   They were replaced by a New England cast off and a 22 year old rookie.  

The offense doesn't suck because of Zampese, it sucks because we have one decent receiver and a total shit O-Line.  I doubt Zampese had any input on keeping Sanu, Jones, Whitworth, Zeitler or Burkhead.   This is a total re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic move by a shitty owner and head coach.    

Everybody but die hard Bengals fans saw this trainwreck coming a mile away with most knowledgeable analysts penciling us in for 5 to 6 wins.   I doubt Zampese had much to do with the HORRIBLE front office decisions that have been made the last 4 years to include our horrible last 4 drafts. 

Do I care that Zampese is gone?  Not really.  A new OC isn't going to fix the complete lack of talent on our line. 

9 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I like ya man, and I'm in no way defending Andy's 2017 play, but I'm not 100% sure you realize what "low ceiling" means. 

Andy is a wildly inconsistent, low floor-high ceiling QB. You're just being a disingenuous extremist at this point for whatever reason.

Even if the guy posts 14 more games like the first 2, he can't be low ceiling with his previous career, we can't pretend that shit never happened. Go ahead and say that Andy is broken or that he sucks now because at this point none of us can argue with that. We've seen his ceiling though and it was pretty damn good even if that kind of play will never come back.

I know exactly what low ceiling means, just you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm wrong or an idiot that uses phrases without knowing what they mean.

Dalton had good 8 games in two seasons ago, outside of that he's been above average at best.

I've always thought the Bengals could do better at the QB spot, but the coaches and FO have given him every opportunity to succeed.  To me Dalton is a modern day Jon Kitna, marginal starter that would be an ideal backup.

McCarron is the guy who should be starting between the two, imo.

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I know exactly what low ceiling means, just you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm wrong or an idiot that uses phrases without knowing what they mean.

Dalton had good 8 games in two seasons ago, outside of that he's been above average at best.

I've always thought the Bengals could do better at the QB spot, but the coaches and FO have given him every opportunity to succeed.  To me Dalton is a modern day Jon Kitna, marginal starter that would be an ideal backup.

McCarron is the guy who should be starting between the two, imo.

All I know is only one of the QBs led us on three 4th quarter scoring drives in the playoffs against the fucking Stealers and threw a 25 yard TD pass to AJ Green with 1:56 left in the game to TAKE THE LEAD. His name was NOT Andy Dalton.

One of the greatest comebacks I had ever witnessed was short lived but IT DID FUCKING HAPPEN.   For a few minutes in a playoff game, I was overcome with joy.  First time in 20 years. 

Fact is Dalton has manged a total of 6 points in the second half of 4 playoff games and only 3 in the fourth quarter.  AJ led us on 3 scoring drives for 18 points in the final quarter to come from behind to take the lead.   This fact alone is why I want to see AJ over Andy.

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

All I know is only one of the QBs led us on 3 4th quarter scoring drives in the playoffs against the fucking Stealer and threw a 25 yard TD pass to AJ Green with 1:56 left in the game to TAKE THE LEAD.  His name was NOT Andy Dalton.

Exactly! Hit the nail on the head -

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

All I know is only one of the QBs led us on three 4th quarter scoring drives in the playoffs against the fucking Stealers and threw a 25 yard TD pass to AJ Green with 1:56 left in the game to TAKE THE LEAD. His name was NOT Andy Dalton.

One of the greatest comebacks I had ever witnessed was short lived but IT DID HAPPEN.   For a few minutes in a playoff game, I was overcome with joy.  First time in 20 years. 

Fact is Dalton has manged a total of 6 points in the second half of 4 playoff games and only 3 in the fourth quarter.  AJ led us on 3 scoring drives for 18 points in the final quarter to come from behind to take the lead.   This fact alone is why I want to see AJ over Andy.

What is wrong with all of you who want to stay with Andy? A.J. is able to play at the level we want! Give him a chance at Green Bay! Let Green and Ross stretch the field every play. Let Dixon play without taking him out. Do all of you want a repeat of weeks 1 and 2 at Green Bay. Enough is ENOUGH!

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Blaming Zampese for not resigning 2 of our best offensive weapons is laughable.   They were replaced by a New England cast off and a 22 year old rookie.  

The offense doesn't suck because of Zampese, it sucks because we have one decent receiver and a total shit O-Line.  I doubt Zampese had any input on keeping Sanu, Jones, Whitworth, Zeitler or Burkhead.   This is a total re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic move by a shitty owner and head coach.    

Everybody but die hard Bengals fans saw this trainwreck coming a mile away with most knowledgeable analysts penciling us in for 5 to 6 wins.   I doubt Zampese had much to do with the HORRIBLE front office decisions that have been made the last 4 years to include our horrible last 4 drafts. 

Do I care that Zampese is gone?  Not really.  A new OC isn't going to fix the complete lack of talent on our line. 

I agree with you wholeheartedly on losing all the aforementioned players sans Marvin Jones. We offered him the same exact contract as did the Lions Nothing we could do there ..He wasnt go to be out # 1 WR with AJ Green on the roster and was Sanu worth 32 million no...But losing both Whitwrth and Zeitler was inexcusable for sure. We had to kep at least one of those two and should have kept both..I am sick of hearing the Bengals don't pay guards..Look where that philosphy had gotten them..

21 minutes ago, schotzee said:

AJ McCarron has been with the team for what 3 years, the Bengals fans have been in misery for decades, I think the fans have every right to speak their minds, about any player OR coach that is sub par.  So AJ McCarron is wrong on this front.  He states, let the system work, it is clear that the system is broken. 

McCarron is showing support for his team.  Just being the good soldier.  He is also supporting a fellow QB that is hearing the boo-birds.  I am sure it makes it hard, but these guys are pros and it goes with the territory.  If you play poorly, you hear it from the crowd.

Now is not the time to make a change at QB.  They have made a change and OC.  They need to see how much better that will make the team.  If after a couple of games the offense is still awful and Dalton is still throwing bad passes maybe you look to McCarron.  As far as I'm concerned you change one thing at a time so you can know what the problem truly is.

On 9/15/2017 at 4:38 PM, SF2 said:

One of the greatest comebacks I had ever witnessed was short lived but IT DID FUCKING HAPPEN.   For a few minutes in a playoff game, I was overcome with joy.  First time in 20 years. 

McCarron had 3 fumbles and an interception in that playoff game.  Both of his td drives occurred when the defense gave him the ball in Stealer territory, and on the first one 42 of the 46 yards were gained through penalties on the Stealers.

McCarron has a losing record as an NFL starter and has never beaten a team that won more than 5 games in one season. 

Even Akili Smith had a decent quarter from time to time.  It is ridiculous to get such a huge hard on about 15 minutes in a losing effort when Dalton has out played McCarron every way throughout his career.  In 2015 they both played behind the same line and threw to the same receivers and Dalton was so much better than McCarron it was not even close.  AJ averaged less than 200 passing yards per start.  He was clueless in the pocket.  He was sacked on average TWICE as often as Dalton because he had zero pocket awareness.  If you put McCarron in behind this current line he will get sacked 10 times a game.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:26 PM, New Jersey Bengal said:

.I am sick of hearing the Bengals don't pay guards..

They paid Bobbie Williams and Clint boling.  They are not afraid to pay guards.  they just didn't want to have the highest paid guard in the league.

If that is your standard then you could claim that the bengals don't pay any position.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

McCarron had 3 fumbles in that playoff game.  Dalton has 4 in 4 playoff games.

Mccarron has a losing record as an NFL starter and has never beaten a team that won more than 5 games in one season. 

Even Akili Smith had a decent quarter from time to time.  It is ridiculous to get such a huge hard on about 15 minutes in a losing effort when Dalton has out played McCarron every way throughout his career.  In 2015 they both played behind the same line and threw to the same receivers and Dalton was so much better than McCarron it was not even close.  AJ averaged less than 200 passing yards per start.  He was clueless in the pocket.  He was sacked on average TWICE as often as Dalton because he had zero pocket awareness.  If you put McCarron in behind this current line he will get sacked 10 times a game.

Yeah he might.   So.  Dalton has 3 points in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 4 playoff games for a grand total of 6 second half playoff points.    Keep in mind he literally had piss running down his leg by the 4th quarter of those games.  He has never led in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.

McCarron scored 18 4th quarter points to take the LEAD late (1:54 left) in the 4th quarter of his one playoff game.  He didn't wet himself.

And the McCarron losing record as an NFL starter is a joke.  He had to come off the bench after getting almost zero touches the entire season to fill in for Thumbalina. In the 3 games he started he had an 80.4 rating and almost took down the eventual Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos on the road on Monday Night. 

Monday Night at Denver (the eventual Superbowl champs) in his 2nd career start 16 degrees 7 degree wind chill on grass:  22-35 200 yards, 1 TD 21 yards rushing.   Lost in overtime.

Andy's Monday Night at Houston 6 weeks earlier in his 73rd career start, 53 degrees on field turf:  22-38 197 0TD, 1int  6 total points and 0 in the second half of course. 

Dalton melts under pressure in big games. 

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Kinda makes you wonder... If they did start McHardon, how long before the same posters were calling for Driskel or even Dalton again?

I honestly hope they let him start a game or two just so people will shut the fuck up about it.

11 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I honestly hope they let him start a game or two just so people will shut the fuck up about it.

Why not start him?  This season is over.  0-2 both loses at home, both to marginal teams.  We are going to get our asses handed to us by Green Bay.  Defense will keep in closer but the offense will be putrid. 

6 of our next 8 games are on the road.  They include Green Bay, Cleveland, Pittpuke, Jacksonville, Tenn and Denver.  We can easily be 3-7 after this.  

I would start him this game but if Andy sucks this next game and is getting killed it might be a good idea to protect him.

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Why not start him?  This season is over.  0-2 both loses at home, both to marginal teams.  We are going to get our asses handed to us by Green Bay.  Defense will keep in closer but the offense will be putrid. 

6 of our next 8 games are on the road.  They include Green Bay, Cleveland, Pittpuke, Jacksonville, Tenn and Denver.  We can easily be 3-7 after this.  

I would start him this game but if Andy sucks this next game and is getting killed it might be a good idea to protect him.

The Bills replaced their O-Coord last year after starting 0-2, and then averaged 31 points a game in the next 4 games. The defense has played well enough to keep us in the games, and the division is where it matters anyway.

It's not all doom and gloom...

52 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Monday Night at Denver (the eventual Superbowl champs) in his 2nd career start 16 degrees 7 degree wind chill on grass:  22-35 200 yards, 1 TD 21 yards rushing.   Lost in overtime.

You obviously don't remember how that game ended.:rolleyes:

Archived