Death of the NFL

It's called sarcasm.  Few care about concussions in hockey since few in the media cover it. 

Honest question but do you ever watch hockey? They take concussions way more serious than the NFL. Players miss weeks if not months for symptoms. The leagues biggest star has missed plenty of time for a concussion.

As for kids playing? Pretty damn hard without ice. Pretty damn hard without equipment. Given an ultimatum I'd pick minor league hockey over the NFL. Vastly superior sport in terms of excitement. Truth be told. Without the gladiator aspect of the NFL it would be behind basketball baseball soccer and hockey. Probably lacrosse and cricket too. The violence really makes the game and the physical parts of the game. As a whole they game would be pretty boring without it.

Hey coach just ran two yards and got my flag pulled. Let's wait 40 seconds and I'll do it again.

9 minutes ago, ccartman2 said:

Honest question but do you ever watch hockey? They take concussions way more serious than the NFL. Players miss weeks if not months for symptoms. The leagues biggest star has missed plenty of time for a concussion.

As for kids playing? Pretty damn hard without ice. Pretty damn hard without equipment. Given an ultimatum I'd pick minor league hockey over the NFL. Vastly superior sport in terms of excitement. Truth be told. Without the gladiator aspect of the NFL it would be behind basketball baseball soccer and hockey. Probably lacrosse and cricket too. The violence really makes the game and the physical parts of the game. As a whole they game would be pretty boring without it.

Hey coach just ran two yards and got my flag pulled. Let's wait 40 seconds and I'll do it again.

First of all hockey is a great sport and yes they take concussions way more seriously.  I wasn't bashing hockey just pointing out that it isn't nearly as popular as football at the youth level.  No sport is.  A lot of kids play soccer but they are lucky to get 300 to a high school game.

Even basketball gets nowhere close to the 8000 fans a weekend game at Xavier or Springboro draws. 

That said there is a movement afoot in this country to destroy anything seen as heroic or manly.  You can bet these bastards want to takedown football as we know it.

7 hours ago, ccartman2 said:

Football is just a great game for TV.  There is action, but it stops and gives the commentators time to explain it.  If you watch a couple football games on TV you understand pretty quickly, even if you are from Siberia.  Not so with hockey.  You have to go to the games to really get the full picture.  Doesn't translate nearly as well on TV, but HDTV sure did help.

Best experience in pro sports is a NHL playoff game.  Nothing I've seen is even close.

Football is more popular than any other sport for many reasons other than just violence.  If violence was all that mattered then boxing and hockey would be more popular than football.

I am not going to start bashing other sports because people have different taste, but the fact is that football is the most popular sport in America by a very large margin. You can try to claim that bowling or lacrosse are "more exciting" if you want, but that is just your own opinion and not the opinion of the population at large.

The NFL is not dying.  It is not going away anytime soon, and neither is college football.

I've always been of the opinion that money will be the end of the NFL or any sport.

Yes, it's linked to the rash of brain injuries. It's also linked to the owner's bottom line, the paycheck a player receives, the paycheck a NCAA player does not get but their school does, player's healthcare cost, Stadium's being built or not being built upon the taxpayers backs, operating cost, prime time teams revenue sharing with small market teams, etc...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, saphead said:

Yes, blame the hurricane.   I'm sure all those once die-hard NFL fans only tuned out because their team's season opener couldn't compete with weather radar.

First of all hockey is a great sport and yes they take concussions way more seriously.  I wasn't bashing hockey just pointing out that it isn't nearly as popular as football at the youth level.  No sport is.  A lot of kids play soccer but they are lucky to get 300 to a high school game.

Even basketball gets nowhere close to the 8000 fans a weekend game at Xavier or Springboro draws. 

That said there is a movement afoot in this country to destroy anything seen as heroic or manly.  You can bet these bastards want to takedown football as we know it.

Got your point. I'd let my kid play hockey but the hour drive is a deterrent. He's 7 and not playing football for at least two years. Way too undersized at this point. I don't believe any kid should really play midget. The game is very physical so how much will they learn at that level anyway

I don't know the more society leans towards, even play, cuddle your kids, PC Correctness, I see football taking a hit.  To completely say it will be gone might be far fetched but the more Barbaric the sport the less parents especially while this movement of everyone is a winner is going to take hold.  

3 hours ago, saphead said:

I'm touching myself, and it feels real good.

Now I am confused.  I thought you hated the NFL.  So why would you be rubbing one out to an article that says this

. In 2017, the league split over $7.8 billion between teams. The money and the success the league enjoyed became so huge that they attained their own gravity,

or this...

"We’ll look at this as far as the season and we’re confident that the ratings will be strong.”

The key word there is “strong.” Like last season, the numbers can fall back for the NFL this year and still be unquestionably strong.

or this...

The opening contest on NBC's "Sunday Night Football" featured two of the league's most popular teams, the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants. It posted a 5 percent viewership gain over the previous year.

CBS Chief Executive Les Moonves, for one, isn't worried about the drop-off in NFL TV audiences, which he attributed to the hurricanes. He told CNBC recently, "I think the NFL is still the best property on television."

Moonves' optimism is shared by Amazon (AMZN), which bought the rights to stream 10 NFL games this season. Once the league's broadcast deal expires, Weiser expects the e-commerce giant to bid along with other tech stalwarts such as Apple (AAPL) and Google parent Alphabet (GOOG). That might make an expensive business even more pricey for the media companies.

Maybe you should do more reading instead of just the headlines before you reach for the lotion and tissues.

But the big question I have is "WHY DO YOU WANT THE NFL TO FAIL?"  I love NFL football.  I don't know why anyone would hate it so much.  I could understand someone who was never a football fan claiming it was too violent or something like that.  But I can not figure out why any football fan would want the NFL to fail.

Archived