Death of the NFL

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If they don't act like repeatedly bashing your head into things being bad for you is some startling medical breakthrough that could potentially make them liable for a much larger time frame.  No way can they admit to prior knowledge when they just started addressing it over the last few years.

The rule changes, the fines & suspensions - this is all about avoiding a lawsuit. Nothing else. 

The players themselves or anyone with half a brain should know the risks when entering. Smh. The brain is only protected by water. 

13 hours ago, schotzee said:

The players themselves or anyone with half a brain should know the risks when entering. Smh. The brain is only protected by water. 

I don't disagree with this statement but the greater issue, by far, is youth football. Children do not have the ability to decide for themselves about these risks.  Furthermore, based on new studies, it isn't a stretch to think that at some point, parents will NOT be allowed to subject their children to possible permanent brain damage.  

Parents can't legally let their children smoke or drink in public in most states due to health concerns.  I imagine at some point some of the States will simply not allow children to play organized tackle football or more likely, insurance companies will be forced to drop coverage of such programs which is the REAL threat and easiest way for the Snowflakes to get their way. 

14 hours ago, schotzee said:

IANAL but I think it's a due diligence argument.  In other words, a firefighter knows the job of entering burning buildings is dangerous but a fire department would still be in trouble if they asked them to do the job in shorts & sandals.  The NFL spent decades hyping up the big hits rather than protecting the players.  Now they're in damage control mode trying to convince the court otherwise.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I don't disagree with this statement but the greater issue, by far, is youth football. Children do not have the ability to decide for themselves about these risks.  Furthermore, based on new studies, it isn't a stretch to think that at some point, parents will NOT be allowed to subject their children to possible permanent brain damage.  

Parents can't legally let their children smoke or drink in public in most states due to health concerns.  I imagine at some point some of the States will simply not allow children to play organized tackle football or more likely, insurance companies will be forced to drop coverage of such programs which is the REAL threat and easiest way for the Snowflakes to get their way. 

All valid and believable.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

IANAL but I think it's a due diligence argument.  In other words, a firefighter knows the job of entering burning buildings is dangerous but a fire department would still be in trouble if they asked them to do the job in shorts & sandals.  The NFL spent decades hyping up the big hits rather than protecting the players.  Now they're in damage control mode trying to convince the court otherwise.  

I kind of see your point, but you as a person knowing better that this is not safe, should find a different occupation. That's my point, these athletes should know better especially now. They are choosing taking that risk as is.The court of laws may see it otherwise, idk. To me it's a ridiculous lawsuit.

7 minutes ago, schotzee said:

All valid and believable.

I kind of see your point, but you as a person knowing better that this is not safe, should find a different occupation. That's my point, these athletes should know better especially now. They are choosing taking that risk as is.The court of laws may see it otherwise, idk. To me it's a ridiculous lawsuit.

Sure they're choosing to take the risk, but the employer shouldn't be adding to that.  Like any other employer there's a responsibility to provide a reasonably safe workplace and a fairly strong argument that the NFL did just the opposite, to the point of denial.  

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

I work in the School District insurance world. No policy I know of, covers football participants now. But they also don't cover basketball, track, volleyball, or any other sport--even soccer--for injuries. And if we are talking about medical insurance benefits, I also do not know of any specific exclusions. There may be a day when it may, but highly unlikely. 

But I would never put past a state government to outlaw something "for our own good", so you may well be correct in that thought. 

hundreds of thousands of kids get hurt every year riding bicycles and skateboards.  No one has moved to make them illegal yet.

And this "CTE IN EVERY BRAIN" is total fear mongering.  It is like the people screaming to outlaw plastic water bottles because they leach .0000000001% of some chemical into the water.  There are just way too many ex-NFL players (and millions of ex-college players) walking around leading healthy normal lives for anyone to believe that every one of them suffers from serious levels of CTE.  I'll bet that based on the standards those people were using every single person that ever bumped his head would show "signs of CTE".

35 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

hundreds of thousands of kids get hurt every year riding bicycles and skateboards.  No one has moved to make them illegal yet.

And this "CTE IN EVERY BRAIN" is total fear mongering.  It is like the people screaming to outlaw plastic water bottles because they leach .0000000001% of some chemical into the water.  There are just way too many ex-NFL players (and millions of ex-college players) walking around leading healthy normal lives for anyone to believe that every one of them suffers from serious levels of CTE.  I'll bet that based on the standards those people were using every single person that ever bumped his head would show "signs of CTE".

CTE in every brain is not the standard.  100s of million people were around asbestos and DDT during their lives and live perfectly normal lives. Stuff was still banned.

The act of riding a bike is a great example. Many localities make it mandatory that children wear helmets even though the act of riding a bike rarely causes an impact to the head. Car seats are mandatory for children yet riding in a car rarely causes an impact to the head.

Playing tackle football causes impacts to the head in almost every practice and game.

23 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

This is pretty much my line of thinking as well.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:17 AM, SF2 said:

CTE in every brain is not the standard.  100s of million people were around asbestos and DDT during their lives and live perfectly normal lives. Stuff was still banned.

I was talking about the study that found CTE in 111 of 112 brains of former football players.  I'll bet that if they used the same standards for defining CTE they would also find CTE in 90% of the brains of people who do not play football.

There are just way too many former college and NFL players walking around leading perfectly normal lives for me to believe that there was any serious level of CTE in 111 out of 112 brains of former players.

100% of bananas contain radioactive potassium that emits cancer causing beta radiation.  So should we ban bananas?

13 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I was talking about the study that found CTE in 111 of 112 brains of former football players.  I'll bet that if they used the same standards for defining CTE they would also find CTE in 90% of the brains of people who do not play football.

There are just way too many former college and NFL players walking around leading perfectly normal lives for me to believe that there was any serious level of CTE in 111 out of 112 brains of former players.

100% of bananas contain radioactive potassium that emits cancer causing beta radiation.  So should we ban bananas?

I agree with you Fred, but I just trying to explain how those who hate a testosterone fueled game (a boys game)  like football will try to destroy it.   Furthermore, there is just too much money to be made by the law profession with more and more concussion evidence coming out.  Every time I turn on the TV, I see a lawyer asking about mesh implants for hernias, heart valves, hip replacements etc.. all for class action lawsuits.  Its only a matter of time. 

As soon as enough liberals hate it, it will end in its current form. 

Was curious to see how the NHL polices "player safety". 

The thing which struct me the most, was that the league has a complete department--and commissioner--for this area. The actual NHL Commissioner does not have the complete say on suspensions, fines, anything. 

Most interesting, is that the NHL hasn't lost its identity from what it is now, and always has been: a quite violent sport. While they have created rules to reduce injury exposure--and have backed it up with a heavy fine/suspension penalty--they haven't created rules on the ice that interfere with the normal flow of a hockey game. 

Check out this link, and the videos within. The Kings/Flames one caught me as most apropos: the "dirty" player who elbowed the King, subsequently gets his ass beat in by other King players afterwards. The officials let them fight for a while, then stop it. That is the "integrity" of the game of hockey:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2016-17-nhl-suspension-fine-tracker/

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Was curious to see how the NHL polices "player safety". 

The thing which struct me the most, was that the league has a complete department--and commissioner--for this area. The actual NHL Commissioner does not have the complete say on suspensions, fines, anything. 

Most interesting, is that the NHL hasn't lost its identity from what it is now, and always has been: a quite violent sport. While they have created rules to reduce injury exposure--and have backed it up with a heavy fine/suspension penalty--they haven't created rules on the ice that interfere with the normal flow of a hockey game. 

Check out this link, and the videos within. The Kings/Flames one caught me as most apropos: the "dirty" player who elbowed the King, subsequently gets his ass beat in by other King players afterwards. The officials let them fight for a while, then stop it. That is the "integrity" of the game of hockey:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2016-17-nhl-suspension-fine-tracker/

Said dirty player should also be told he has to remove his helmet to receive such beating. I get a kick out of guys who try to punch another player in the face who is wearing a helmet.

Said dirty player should also be told he has to remove his helmet to receive such beating. I get a kick out of guys who try to punch another player in the face who is wearing a helmet.

Didn't watch it but watch a lot of hockey. One fighting was always allowed to protect the stars. Some on puts a dirty hit on Crosby and then a goon beats his ass. A deterrent. Unfortunately most fights are staged goon on goon now.

Also not sure I'd said player had a face shield but fighting with one is an ejectable offense

No face shield. Pure pumpkin face. 

Although I despise the Pens--as I do every team from that town--they are actually one of the cleaner teams in the league. Sidney cries every time he is touched, but overall they play pretty close to normal. 

Not sure there is really a "dirty" team anymore. No Broad Street Bullies like from my time. A few guys are repeat offenders, but even they spread out their sins over a long period. And, more importantly, they are not targeted by the league or viscerated in the fake sports media like in this joke of a league the Bengals are in. 

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

No face shield. Pure pumpkin face. 

Although I despise the Pens--as I do every team from that town--they are actually one of the cleaner teams in the league. Sidney cries every time he is touched, but overall they play pretty close to normal. 

Not sure there is really a "dirty" team anymore. No Broad Street Bullies like from my time. A few guys are repeat offenders, but even they spread out their sins over a long period. And, more importantly, they are not targeted by the league or viscerated in the fake sports media like in this joke of a league the Bengals are in. 

No, the NHL has been taking care of that for a couple decades to get where they are today.  Fighting is more and more rare.  Most folks are tired of the staged goon on goon fights.  Many teams don't even have a goon anymore. 

What the NHL does with a committee to decide about suspensions after questionable/illegal hits is something the NFL should copy.  The NFLPA could have representatives on that committee along with league officials.

Also, the NHL is not without it's favoritism.  Alexander Ovechkin has gotten away with dirty hits a plenty.  (mostly in his younger years)  He's one of the NHLs top stars and they don't like them to be off the ice.  Also, Matt Cooke was pretty much run out of the league after a string of terrible  hits.  No one really complained. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The NHL and hockey in general just isn't that mainstream.  Nobody south of Dayton Ohio plays hockey.  

That's seriously ill informed.  The #1 pick of the 2016 draft, Auston Matthews, is from Arizona.  Rinks throughout the SE, Dallas, Arizona & LA are full of kids playing hockey.  What holds hockey back from growing even more is that it is one of the most expensive sports your kid can play. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

That's seriously ill informed.  The #1 pick of the 2016 draft, Auston Matthews, is from Arizona.  Rinks throughout the SE, Dallas, Arizona & LA are full of kids playing hockey.  What holds hockey back from growing even more is that it is one of the most expensive sports your kid can play. 

There are 608 high school football teams in Texas vs 48 hockey teams.  For every ice rink in the south there are 30 football fields.  At the youth level, very few boys every touch a hockey stick while most have played some form of football, basketball, baseball and even soccer even of it were just for fun.

Hockey is not a mainstream sport.

Just now, SF2 said:

There are 608 high school football teams in Texas vs 48 hockey teams.  For every ice rink in the south there are 30 football fields.  At the youth level, very few boys every touch a hockey stick while most have played some form of football, basketball, baseball and even soccer even of it were just for fun.

High School hockey is the equivalent of rec football except in Minnesota.  It isn't comparable.  Just the same hockey is growing in non traditional markets. 

Yes, tons more kids play football, basketball and baseball than hockey.  Yet to say no one south of Dayton plays hockey is dumb. 

Unfortunately, hockey is too damned expensive.  It's just not affordable for the masses. 

23 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

High School hockey is the equivalent of rec football except in Minnesota.  It isn't comparable.  Just the same hockey is growing in non traditional markets. 

Yes, tons more kids play football, basketball and baseball than hockey.  Yet to say no one south of Dayton plays hockey is dumb. 

Unfortunately, hockey is too damned expensive.  It's just not affordable for the masses. 

It's called sarcasm.  Few care about concussions in hockey since few in the media cover it. 

Just now, SF2 said:

It's called sarcasm.  Few care about concussions in hockey since few in the media cover it. 

The lawsuits have already started in hockey as well.  The pile of money isn't as large as the NFL's, but it's still a pretty big pile of money when bottom level teams sell for $500M. 

News articles are out there, just google it.  Try Derek Boogaard.  You won't see it on ESPN.  They don't broadcast hockey, so they cover it as little as possible.  I think ESPN covers Trump more than hockey.

Archived