Burfict Extended

23 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Sending a message what he means to the team, even after his ridiculous suspension.

Also sending a message to the rest of the whine bag, butt hurt teams in the NFL who snivel about him being a dirty player.

Feeling a lot better about the next few years now.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's a chunk of change for a guy who hasn't played a full season since his last extension. 

It is.  Makes me wonder if their vocal support of his appeal may have upset the status quo?  Marv was very direct about it and people respect him.  Maybe they'll back off and find someone else to focus on.  

Good news. 

I really don't think were going to have problems with him, Marvin seemed to suggest he understood the issue and had already changed and the fact that the team was vocal about this new rule thing and their disagreement with the interpretation seems like Vontaze and the team just has to be aware of those

Burfict, Geno, and AJ are the only really elite players we have.  Eifert could be if he could stay healthy, but right now I just count those three.

Our whole defense changes when Burfict is out.  He could very well be the greatest LB ever to play for the Bengals.

And for anyone who thinks it is too much money you have to realize that we have been paying Burfict peanuts for the last 4 years..

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

Burfict, Geno, and AJ are the only really elite players we have.  Eifert could be if he could stay healthy, but right now I just count those three.

Our whole defense changes when Burfict is out.  He could very well be the greatest LB ever to play for the Bengals.

And for anyone who thinks it is too much money you have to realize that we have only been paying Burfict peanuts for the last 4 years..

I started bolding part of this... But I agree with every word of it...

Too true, Fred. No one seems to recall he made literally nothing his first few years, and even as he started to establish himself, he never bellyached about his salary. 

I thought all villians were supposed to be greedy bastards too. At least that's what the NY Post says. Or was it USA Today? Or ESPN? Or Stephen A. Smith? 

7 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

And for anyone who thinks it is too much money you have to realize that we have been paying Burfict peanuts for the last 4 years..

Burficts last contract only averaged $4.75 million per year

Vinny Rey's averaged $3.5 million.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It is.  Makes me wonder if their vocal support of his appeal may have upset the status quo?  Marv was very direct about it and people respect him.  Maybe they'll back off and find someone else to focus on.  

IMHO - They wanted to front load SOMEONE'S contract this year and the suspension drastically decreased Burfict's leverage. The offer was already on the table and in the midst of his client screwing up, his agent jumped on it.

If Eifert had gotten injured in the 1st pre-season game, HIS agent probably would have seen if the Bengals offer was still on the table.

As far as the money, Burfict's worth what people are willing to pay him. It doesn't matter what he made last year, etc... Was there really a team out there willing to take a flier on him at $13M a year? Was some other team willing to make him the highest paid LB in the game? That's the question...

IMHO - It's a lot of faith to put in a guy who has started the last two years on suspension. Even if the Bengals have an out when/if he screws up... $11M up front. Wow. Burfict is a bad hit or two away from being a serious pile of dead money.

Well, now that the details are out, it's a very team friendly deal. It works for Taze, and if he continues to be a knucklehead, we don't pay him. Good job Bengals FO.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/8/16272504/details-contract-breakdown-vontaze-burfict-3-year-contract-extension-bengals

13 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I really hope one of our Corners establishes himself this year as an elite talent, Kirk or WJ3 I believe will become on of the top 3 CB duo's in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I really hope one of our Corners establishes himself this year as an elite talent, Kirk or WJ3 I believe will become on of the top 3 CB duo's in the NFL.

With 3 first round draft picks invested in the position I hope so, too.

Archived