The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Ravens game 1

They need to sink some serious money into the line. Should've with whit and zeitler. Dre is a nice player but the other 2 were much more important. Should've given them both blank checks. Cedis a pile of shit and fuck the coaches for not giving him help against a future hall of famer. 

GOOD

Running Backs
Geno Atkins

Carlos Dunlop

BAD
Run Defense
Penalties

UGLY
Offensive Line
Andy Dalton
Marvin Lewis
Ken Zampese

To all who lauded the re-signing of Dre Kirkpatrick over Offensive Linemen...reap what you sow. This offensive line may be the worst I've ever seen in Cincinnati. Marvin Lewis should walk away. He's terrible. As is Zampese. Lots of offensive talent but it's looking like a long year none the less.

3 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

To all who lauded the re-signing of Dre Kirkpatrick over Offensive Linemen...reap what you sow. This offensive line may be the worst I've ever seen in Cincinnati. Marvin Lewis should walk away. He's terrible. As is Zampese. Lots of offensive talent but it's looking like a long year none the less.

Eh.

We could easily have Kirk AND 1 of the linemen right now. Dre Kirkpatrick was important to re-sign, but so was Whitworth for another 1-3 year deal regardless of what some will say.

Jake Fisher made for foregone days of Andre the Hutt look good.

It's really hard to even point out where we had competent play on the O-Line. Bodine was Bodine, but now he's no longer the weakest link.

It's not like were the only people who had these tackles rated highly coming out, and I can't believe that they're still this bad. They've both already seen playing time in previous seasons, when is the light going to come on for these guys? Will it ever? I'm flabbergasted that two highly touted first round picks are both this passive and stiff. Fisher isn't as lost out there as Ced, but you can tell the game still moves way too fast for him.

This O-Line is UGLY. And for better or for worse, we have to dance with the girl we brought with us. It will take a minor act of God for this O-Line to give us a chance for the playoffs.

The gameplan on both sides of the ball was awful. Zampese is predictable. During halftime I was all... Zampese wants to get Dalton's confidence back, so run, short throw, etc... I was right about his first 4 plays before the half even started. Gunther's defense didn't seem to have a plan.

The defense played well enough, but they were on the field a long time, and were in tough field position. LB's need to step up, but we'll get an automatic boost with Burfict instead of Rey. You have to expect some growing pains out of the young corners, but I liked what I saw in general.

But all-in-all, this was a team that didn't look prepared. And that's on the man running the show. I've been a long time Marvin supporter, but I'm starting to think it's time for this team to start hearing a fresh voice.

The next game is Thursday - dear god. Jake Fisher, meet JJ Watt right in the middle of getting off on all of his media attention in a Nationally televised game. He's going to beat you like a Pinata and make all of the candy fall out, and they'll probably let him squeeze some Baby Ruth's out of Ced on the other side just for fun. 

All of you who thought drafting Oogie-Boogie n Fisher back to back with the 1st 2 picks two years ago was a smart idea.....here's your sign. Both now in their 3rd years even....pathetic...and that is a huge understatement. #70 has NO business starting anywhere on an NFL O-line...none. It all starts with the O-Line and ours is awful. Pathetic

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Why don't they play Fisher at LT instead of Ogbuehi? Both played LT in college and both played RT last year. We already know Ogbuehi lacks quicks, even to keep up with old man Suggs. Might as well try Fisher over there, he was a better player in college than Ogbuehi. 

Quicks weren't his problem, engaging/sustaining his block and brute strength were.  On his penalty (wherein he let Suggs go past him anyway) he was in position and set up waaaay before Suggs got there, but he simply couldn't handle the simple swat move Suggs gave him.  Other times he couldn't handle a bull rush from even smaller LBs than Suggs.  If a guy is bent back by a guy who weighs at least sixty pounds less than him, he doesn't belong on an NFL line, sorry.

As it stands I wouldn't mind them trying Fisher at LT, but I seriously doubt it happens.  Why?  Because we saw it last year, they'll try this line for at least 10 or 11 weeks then wave the white flag and try something different once the player(s) become national punch lines.

What bothers me is this we let all all pro LT go in Whitworth who by the way always stymied Terrell Suggs....Ogbuehi was awful lat year Why in the world would they think he'd be any better...We let Zeitler go without even trying to sign him. And even more maddening is that we let Zimmer, Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph go...I have been a Bengals fan for 45 years and dont even bother to watch anymore...and Jackson would have stayed as OC if Mike Brown would have sogned on to have him be HC in waiting agfter this year....

18 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Quicks weren't his problem, engaging/sustaining his block and brute strength were.  On his penalty (wherein he let Suggs go past him anyway) he was in position and set up waaaay before Suggs got there, but he simply couldn't handle the simple swat move Suggs gave him.  Other times he couldn't handle a bull rush from even smaller LBs than Suggs.  If a guy is bent back by a guy who weighs at least sixty pounds less than him, he doesn't belong on an NFL line, sorry.

As it stands I wouldn't mind them trying Fisher at LT, but I seriously doubt it happens.  Why?  Because we saw it last year, they'll try this line for at least 10 or 11 weeks then wave the white flag and try something different once the player(s) become national punch lines.

On one of the inside runs for no gain, everyone fired off the ball in perfect unison and went nowhere.  I'm used to watching our line get beat trying to run the ball, but that.. I don't think I've ever seen that outside of a walk-through.   I know Andy made some dumb throws when he wasn't indecisive, but he also got sacked 5 times.  Why give Eifert so many plays when you're not targeting him and your OT is getting beat? Get Uzomah and Hewitt in there to feed Suggs

Only Dalton's 7th year, QBs don't get it until their 8th year usually....so we're fine guys.  Everything's on schedule.  

Marvin doesn't have the balls to do it, but I would have put in McCarron.  Way too talented on offense to produce what was produced today.  Also, I'd let James Urban call the plays and send Zampese back to the QB room.  

3 minutes ago, Khatmandude said:

Only Dalton's 7th year, QBs don't get it until their 8th year usually....so we're fine guys.  Everything's on schedule.  

Marvin doesn't have the balls to do it, but I would have put in McCarron.  

After the 4th sack that would've been reasonable even without all the turnovers. 

Ol' McSkeeter will be in there soon enough, don't worry.  

McCarron actually goes through progressions....Dalton goes to his first option, and if that isnt open, he freaks out.  Not a good sign from a guy that's been in the league as long as he has.  He played today with very little confidence after the early turnovers.  Shy to pull the trigger.  Game over if the defense effects the QB that much.  I believe McCarron or Ol' McSkeeter as you call him has a stronger mental makeup than our friend Andy Dalton.  Makes sense, considering Dalton's a ginger.  

Zampese also deserves alot of blame for today.  A whole lot.  When the DLine is getting pressure, there are certain plays he could have called to 'negate' them yet there were not called.  Zampese is still in way over his head with this gig.  

Such a shame...the list of skill players is ridiculous.  

5 minutes ago, Khatmandude said:

McCarron actually goes through progressions....Dalton goes to his first option, and if that isnt open, he freaks out.  Not a good sign from a guy that's been in the league as long as he has.  He played today with very little confidence after the early turnovers.  Shy to pull the trigger.  Game over if the defense effects the QB that much.  I believe McCarron or Ol' McSkeeter as you call him has a stronger mental makeup than our friend Andy Dalton. 

He might? He's played a handful of games.  I suspect any QB would be meat with this blocking. 

Archived