We're on to Houston.

Rooki QB (maybe) and a ton of injuries should be a good recipe for a win, but has brought disappointment in the past. What do you think?

With good Andy - 24-10 bengals

Opening day Andy - Pick 'em. Their QB and OL situation is as bad as ours.Marvin will probaly get out-coached. Edge Texans.

45 minutes ago, ccartman2 said:

NFL radio said this morning they have five players in concussion protocol including all of there tight ends so they may not kill us there.

I really really think the heart of our defense has been fixed. I really only see a weakness at FS, Illoka is fine. I think we'll have one of the best defenses in the NFL towards the end of the season. We can't turn it over 5x, I think the ravens get 6pts if we don't turn it over 5x.

Now next year I'm hoping this team focuses on a fucking O-line and giving Efiert some money if he has a great season.

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

We can't forget that we do have Prime Time Andy as QB. 

Over the last 3 years Dalton has played in 10 regular season prime time games and has as many games with a passer rating over 110 (3) as he does with a passer rating under 80.  In half of those 10 games he had a passer rating over 93.

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Watt, Clowney, and Mercilus combined for 7 tackles, 1 TFL, and 0 sacks against Jacksonville. And that was also with Blake Bortles in the mix. The Jags tossed 155 yds rushing against them. 

Cushing will be out too. They should be plenty down defensively.  

Are you suggesting that those three are nothing to worry about Thursday night as they had an off game against the Jaguars? Tell poor Decapitated Andy that on Friday morning. On the bright side, maybe with Andy all headless and all I will finally have a shot with Jordan.

6 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I am terrified for Dalton with that offensive line facing Watt (a notorious Bengal killer) along with Clowney and Mercilus. The Texans SHOULD be ripe for the picking but...who the fuck knows at this point.

Don't worry about it, this random drunken street bum is apparently coaching the o-line now, he looks like he knows a good kick-slide when he sees it:

07-27-16-Alexander-Paul.jpg

13 hours ago, Hooky said:

Rooki QB (maybe) and a ton of injuries should be a good recipe for a win, but has brought disappointment in the past. What do you think?

With good Andy - 24-10 bengals

Opening day Andy - Pick 'em. Their QB and OL situation is as bad as ours.Marvin will probaly get out-coached. Edge Texans.

I'm not even sure Marvin actually coaches, hence the bizarre lack of clock management, play calling that seems more determined by a Magic 8 ball then in response to what's happening on the field, lack of adjustments, lack of urgency, and just an overall robotic approach. He seems to walk on that field with his playbook, and that's it. Come hell or high water he's NOT gonna deviate from it. I wonder if someone or something in Baltimore put this in his head? This idea that you stick to the script no matter what? Sometimes the worst thing that can happen when a bogus idea is in your head, is to have it succeed. Not making adjustments in the NFL is of course, asinine, but maybe the one time ever you could get away with something resembling this philosophy was with the 2000 Ravens. Arguably the greatest defense ever, and certainly not a year where offensive scheming was critical. Maybe a wild theory, but something is cemented in that head of his.

13 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Will Adam be activated?  I would assume to fill the slot left by the O lineman who went down at half time Sunday if they can get him on IR so soon.

Well, Harry, word has it that The Pac Is Back and Ringo has left the building.

Ringo, we hardly knew ye.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Well, Harry, word has it that The Pac Is Back and Ringo has left the building.

Ringo, we hardly knew ye.

At least I'm not the only one that talks to himself.

Who we really need is Ringo Rango.

9 hours ago, A Rock said:

He seems to walk on that field with his playbook, and that's it. Come hell or high water he's NOT gonna deviate from it. I wonder if someone or something in Baltimore put this in his head? This idea that you stick to the script no matter what?

The Bengals are actually pretty good at making in game adjustments.  that is the reason they have been one of the best "come from behind" teams in the league over the last few years.

Since 2011 the Bengals are 9th in the league in come from behind victories (31), and they also have the 7th best winning percentage in games in which they trailed at some point (.464). Only five teams in the league have both more come-from behind victories and a better winning percentage in games where they trailed. For example the Dolphins have one more come from behind victory, but 15 more losses in games where they trailed for only a .386 winning percentage.

5 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

The Bengals are actually pretty good at making in game adjustments.  that is the reason they have been one of the best "come from behind" teams in the league over the last few years.

Since 2011 the Bengals are 9th in the league in come from behind victories (31), and they also have the 7th best winning percentage in games in which they trailed at some point (.464). Only five teams in the league have both more come-from behind victories and a better winning percentage in games where they trailed. For example the Dolphins have one more come from behind victory, but 15 more losses in games where they trailed for only a .386 winning percentage.

I'm not big on stats that show we're 7th or 9th since a particular year that seems to make us out to be something we're not, but fair enough. Wonder how many teams that made the playoffs or even teams with winning records the Bengals defeated in this manner. Dude is horrible when it's sudden death. Also, what's the difference between a come from behind victory and winning a game you trailed at some point?

5 hours ago, A Rock said:

Wonder how many teams that made the playoffs or even teams with winning records the Bengals defeated in this manner.

Since 2011 the Bengals have come from behind to win against playoff teams 8 times.  That ranks 7th in the league.  The Bengals have a .266 winning percentage in games against playoff teams where they trailed at some point.  That does not sound great, but it is 9th in the league.  Not a single team has a winning record in games where they trailed against a playoff team. 

Only 4 teams have both more come from behind victories against playoff teams and a higher winning percentage in games where they trailed to a playoff team. (Seattle, Pittsburgh, Arizona, and Miami)

Here are those 8 come from behind victories against playoff teams.

12-30-12...Ravens

09-22-13...Packers

2014.........Ravens twice

12-22-14...Broncos

10-11-15...Seahawks

11-01-15...Stealers

09-29-16...Dolphins

If you change it from "playoff team" to "team that finished with a winning record" the Bengals rank 10th in total come from behind victories (9) and 8th in winning percentage (.288).  Only 5 teams have both more wins and a higher winning percentage (Stealers, Seahawks, Cards, Cowboys, and Saints)

I think the lack of adjustments come into play when we have a lead at halftime and end up losing the game. The other team adjusts at halftime to what we're doing, and then we consequently don't adjust on the fly to deter their adjustments and we keep doing the same things from the first half over and over.

Anyway, a decent takeaway from all of this is that the Bengals and Andy Dalton are actually pretty good at bouncing back after lousy defeats. I think they're something like 7-3 in games following terrible Andy performances since Dalton has been here. The Texans suck but always seem to give us a hard time, so who knows? I think I'm feeling a blowout where our offense goes off.

Archived