Was the attendance as bad as it looked on TV?

I was there. 55K seems about right. Not unusual for early September games--regardless of the record. If it's 75 and perfect, people are doing other things. I remember even Riverfront not being filled this time of year. 

And the 200 Level always looks like a ghost town--corporate seats, expensive as hell. Rich people show up if they feel like it. 

11 hours ago, Bunghole said:

It was officially around 49,000, which means about 17,000 empty seats. Last year is a haunting image, and Sunday didn;t so us any favors, We sucked.

And officially is sold tickets I believe or it is scanned at the door??

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

And officially is sold tickets I believe or it is scanned at the door??

Good question. I assume scanned at the door but am prepared to be wrong. If it;s scanned at the door that's not too bad. If it's total sold, that's pretty pathetic.

I used to go to many Bengal games. Never had season tickets but would buy individual game tickets to every game. This way I avoided getting raped by not having to pay for the two preseason games or "buying the seat." 

Last game I went to a beer was over $6 and a BBQ sandwich I got was like fucking $5. The BBQ was horrible. The Bengals we're winning all game until the 4th when Dalton started playing like Dalton. We lost.  I realized while I was there that PBS is going downhill quick. The seats are uncomfortable and  the place is filthy. We have a much nicer stadium down here at UofL.  Ain't been back Cincy.

3 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

I used to go to many Bengal games. Never had season tickets but would buy individual game tickets to every game. This way I avoided getting raped by not having to pay for the two preseason games or "buying the seat." 

Last game I went to a beer was over $6 and a BBQ sandwich I got was like fucking $5. The BBQ was horrible. The Bengals we're winning all game until the 4th when Dalton started playing like Dalton. We lost.  I realized while I was there that PBS is going downhill quick. The seats are uncomfortable and  the place is filthy. We have a much nicer stadium down here at UofL.  Ain't been back Cincy.

I haven't been to PBS.  Beer is only $6 and you can get a sandwich for $5?  That's a good deal by major league sports standards. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I haven't been to PBS.  Beer is only $6 and you can get a sandwich for $5?  That's a good deal by major league sports standards. 

Yea.. that had to be a long time ago.. beers are way more than that now.. it is and always has been a joke how bad you get raped on concessions at sporting events  

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Brew is actually $9. I don't eat in the stadium, so can't comment on food prices. Bob must have been there last around 5 years ago. 

On 9/12/2017 at 8:44 PM, Le Tigre said:

I was there. 55K seems about right. Not unusual for early September games--regardless of the record. If it's 75 and perfect, people are doing other things. I remember even Riverfront not being filled this time of year. 

And the 200 Level always looks like a ghost town--corporate seats, expensive as hell. Rich people show up if they feel like it. 

seems kind of unusual.... :2_grimacing:

nfl reports 55k this year.. the lowest in

2016 was 65k, vs browns

2015 was 58k officially

2014 was 59k

2013 was 65k

2012 was 63k

2011 was 43k

2010 was 64k

2009 was 65k

2008 was 65k

2007 was 65k

2006 was 65k

2005 was 65k

2004 was 65k

2003 was 64k

2002 was 54k

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Brew is actually $9. I don't eat in the stadium, so can't comment on food prices. Bob must have been there last around 5 years ago. 

Holy Smokes. Yes it was about 3 or 4 seasons ago. I actually had a blast at that game because it was the first time I had ever went to a bar to pre game. The bar was called sports bar...I think. That place was jumpin early in the morning. I remember I left Louisville with about $150 in my pocket plus my ticket. Made it back to Louisville with $0 and a empty tank of gas.   Lol and ain't been back since. 

2 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Falcons stadium is where it's at.

Image result for falcon concessions

Yep, They make so much money at that place and Arthur Blank is so rich they don't have to nickle and dime you.  They have very high end food there as well that is reasonably priced.  5/3rd field in Dayton is fairly similar.  Food is good and reasonably priced.  They know their audience wont pay $9 for a draft fucking bear.    Atlanta and Dallas definitely know how to treat their fans. 

All of the food and concessions are contracted out (for BIG bucks) and the Bengals have very little to do with the prices although I would bet the get a percentage as part of the contract.

One thing I noticed at last Sunday's game was the visitors' side was in the sun and seemed to have not nearly as many people as the shady Bengals side.

46 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

All of the food and concessions are contracted out (for BIG bucks) and the Bengals have very little to do with the prices although I would bet the get a percentage as part of the contract.

I believe all the stadium food is through Aramark, who are basically the WalMart of dining.  Not sure you want your food coming from the same people who launder your uniforms.

This graph is probably from the previous decade (although it was attached to the Falcons' article chortling about their lowered prices). Also: you are correct,T: mega food service companies contract with the stadium owners. In the case of both Cincinnati stadia, that means Hamilton County. Blank owns his building, thus he can negotiate the amounts with Aramark (or whomever) directly.  

nfl-concession-prices-1024x768.png  

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I believe all the stadium food is through Aramark, who are basically the WalMart of dining.  Not sure you want your food coming from the same people who launder your uniforms.

Aramark in Europe is shockingly good.  Not at stadiums, rather at office canteens.  Of course, if an outfit (i.e., Aramark) who is renting the right to feed your employees sucks, they will be out on their asses when the contract is up.  The food is cheap because the company is subsidizing it, not because the outfit is cutting corners.  Weird, huh?

6 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

Aramark in Europe is shockingly good.  Not at stadiums, rather at office canteens.  Of course, if an outfit (i.e., Aramark) who is renting the right to feed your employees sucks, they will be out on their asses when the contract is up.  The food is cheap because the company is subsidizing it, not because the outfit is cutting corners.  Weird, huh?

Yeah screw that commie pinko shit, this is America! We buy leftover crusts from the executive dining room at the company store and we like it! And if we don't like it we blame the poors!

I've been frustrated by looking at the empty club level for years.  Why is it so empty at PBS but not at other stadiums that have club levels?

As for overall attendance,  I wonder if there isn't still a hangover from the playoff debacle of 2015.  I know there is for me, personally.  I held out hope for good things from 2011 until that game, but now I feel like there's no need to get emotionally or financially invested in this shit show.  Even if they make the playoffs, we know it's not going to end well.  

No, this isn't as bad as the Lost Decade, but in an apples and oranges sort of way, it almost is.  I just have no shits left to give for this franchise.  That being said, I'll still drop in here and see what's going on with them from time to time.

Archived