No way to Polish this Turd: Week 2 Thoughts

My observations from this Thursday night embarrassment:

- It is obvious that Dalton has regressed. His accuracy is worse than it ever has been. He doesn’t audible, even his long completions wobble like wounded ducks, and when a big passing play is made, it’s in spite of him rather than because of him. He looks to throw it out of bounds way too fast, can’t figure out how to avoid pressure and throw on the run, can’t throw over the DL without passes getting tipped, shows no leadership in the huddle, and shows no remorse when he fails on the field. There is no way to sugarcoat it … Dalton now sucks. He got outplayed by a rookie making his first start ever with 3 WRs and no TE's. 

- Now did Dalton always suck? No. In fact he was an above average starter who could get you in the playoffs with a solid supporting cast and good coordinators, but he has never had the talent to carry this team or any team, and now with awful play calling, and a crappy OL, a new Dalton is showing, and it’s garbage. McCarron should be given a chance to see what he can do. Hell, I'd even prefer Driskel than Andy at this point. However, unless Zampese is also fired or demoted I doubt the results will be that much different, although I do think McCarron will at least make better decisions and show some moxie that Dalton doesn’t have.

- The past 2 games have showcased the worst play calling that I have ever seen in the NFL. It is so bad it’s astounding. Zampese has reached a new level of suckage that Bratkowski couldn’t have even dreamed of. He makes Hue Jackson look like Vince Lombardi. The fact that he couldn’t get 1 TD in 8 quarters at home with all the weapons the Bengals have is an ‘accomplishment’ in a weird way, as it should be impossible to do. He barely targets Green, never allows his RB’s to build any kind of rhythm, ignores Eifert for entire quarters, calls the most absurd and predictable run plays, gives Ross one reverse which worked (pre fumble) and then never uses him again, and can’t design plays using a TE to give his OT’s any help. Zampese was out play called by a team with no TE’s using 7 OL. Monumental in its absolute suckery.

- Some top flight talent is on this team and being wasted. Geno Atkins is an All Pro and one of the best players in the league along with AJ Green. This is a playoff roster with plenty of game breakers to put up points. However, without the right scheme and play calling many of those chess pieces are being wasted.

- Everyone on here knows that I am as loyal to Marvin as anybody. But if he continues to let Andy start and Zampese call the plays, even I will lose faith in him. Unfortunately, the rest of the NFL has also poached the Bengals of all their best assistant coaches over the last few years (Gruden, Zimmer, Jackson, Joseph) and so the cupboard is dry. I don’t think the next coach of the Bengals is on the sideline right now from a deserving-it-based-on-talent perspective, but I am not sure if Mike Brown will hire a complete outsider, which means it may be an issue of waiting until he dies and his daughter makes that correct decision.

- Props to PacMan for his play tonight. You can see how he is the emotional spirit of the defense. He played hurt, and was wincing with a gashed elbow, and went right back out there and was making plays with 1 arm dangling at his side. If this team had 22 Adam Jones’ they would win the Superbowl. I don’t care if he cusses out cops or not, he’s a football player, and I wish the team had more like him. I’d trade 1,000 Andy Dalton’s for 1 Adam Jones. I also can’t wait until Burfict gets back, as I think he’s the best defensive player in the league and it’s total bullshit he was even suspended to begin with.

- Chris Smith played hard out there today and gave much more rush than Michael Johnson usually does. I think he’s earned the right to start or get highly increased playtime. My game balls from the loss would be: Atkins, Huber, & Pac.

- Is the season over? Not yet. But the worst they can go into the bye at is 2-3, so they basically need to win 2 of their next 3 games versus the Packers, Browns, and Bills. But do I think the team can do that if something doesn’t drastically change? Hell no. In fact, at this rate, if the Andy and Zampese shitshow isn’t cancelled, the team may be looking at the #1 draft pick, where they will hopefully draft the Wyoming QB Josh Allen.

It was the right move. The three biggest issues the Bengals have had during this miserable start have been bad offensive line play, Dalton's poor play as a result and making bad decisions with the football, and finally the awful playcalling. Zampese's offense was overly complicated in terms of the sheer amount of plays for each defensive situation according to Dave Lapham, former Bengals guard and now a member of the local media, and that his offense was reactionary to what the defense was showing rather than punching first and setting the tone.

Taking John Ross out of the game after his fumble when your offense badly needs a spark was just fucking stupid. The guy is a first round pick, an obvious playmaker and the fastest man in the NFL. WTF?

This was actually the first time in Dalton's career that he's posted back to back turds like this. The four other times he played so badly that his QBR was 50 or less he had great followup games. Not this time. His QBR for the Ravens game was 0.6! He didn't even get a point!

Also, it's time for Marvin Lewis to go. He's stale and mailing it in, and is a TERRIBLE in game coach. I guess you can't fire him midseason and manage to get someone better at this stage but for the love of God Mike Brown, do NOT renew his contract after the season is over.

And finally, if Dalton is playing poorly again against Green Bay, bench his ass by halftime and put in McCarron!

Archived