Zampese Out

Firing Zampese was a no brainer and frankly the easiest and most painless move the team could make.  Eight quarters without a touchdown and 0 for 6 in the red zone were more than enough reason to get rid of him.  Faced with the unholy trio of a porous line, rattled QB, and overmatched coordinator, something had to be done.  Fixing the line won't happen till free agency (lol) or the draft.  Mike and/or Marvin are too stubborn to bench Andy.  So Zampese gets to be the fall guy.  The Bengals can act like they care even though they created this mess.

23 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

That's the main reason I'm OK with Lazor for the time being after thinking about the whole situation a lot more. I think the people acting like these pro players and coaches can't adapt to a slightly different playbook are overreacting with those thoughts, but that can be an argument for a different day.

Best case scenario is we pluck someone from a different team over the offseason and get some fresh ideas in here. The only coaches I actually thought were deserving of various promotions are in different cities now so I'm just annoyed with the friends and family discount strategy the Mike Brown employs. I totally realize that it's very common for an interim OC/DC/whatever that has to come in midseason is almost always an in house guy, but I'm just afraid that he's been given the job permanently without any outside competition with how Mikey operates. To be fair, Lazor hasn't been here forever and did have a good year with Tannehill, but I'd still like to see a whole new coaching staff come in here for 2018 even though I know that probably won't be happening.

Best case scenario - a new Head Coach brings in his own (along with a new OLine Coach).

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

YES

I guess I just meant best case scenario as far as OC alone goes, but I'd much prefer what you're suggesting :good:

I just want them to clean house ( coaches mostly) ... this shit is tired...

I keep thinking back to thursday night.. Ross fumbles and is benched like he is a fucking high school kid and a point is being proven.. Its a business ole marv... get him back in there to do his fucking job... I am sooooooooo sick of this shit.

I almost envy the browns... at least they have some optimism..  When we fucking suck all year and have a top 10 (probably top 5) pick.. I want a QB.. at least I can watch and have some hope.. Dalton has ben Bengalized...dude was a really good player a could years ago...that is over with.. he is traumatized and has no chance now.. The offensive line is the worst I can remember and that is the second biggest problem on the team... #1 being ole marv...

FUCK!!!!! 

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

I just want them to clean house... this shit is tired...

I keep thinking back to thursday night.. Ross fumbles and is benched like he is a fucking high school kid and a point is being proven.. Its a business ole marv... get him back in there to do his fucking job... I am sooooooooo sick of this shit.

I almost envy the browns... at least they have some optimism..  When we fucking suck all year and have a top 10 (probably top 5) pick.. I want a QB.. at least I can watch and have some hope.. Dalton has ben Bengalized...dude was a really good player a could years ago...that is over with.. he is traumatized and has no chance now.. The offensive line is the worst I can remember and that is the second biggest problem on the team... #1 being ole marv...

FUCK!!!!! 

I'm all for a non-Dalton QB, but what's our O-line going to do for any QB we put back there? That's what bothers me. I don't love Andy, but I like our line even less.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'm all for a non-Dalton QB, but what's our O-line going to do for any QB we put back there? That's what bothers me. I don't love Andy, but I like our line even less.

probably nothing.. but I don't think mccoooter is as good as Andy... So I want new blood.. 

If we did that.. Andy would probably go somewhere and be fine... he is just done here//

I wonder how much input Zamboni had in selecting last year's book end busts at OT or even Crystal Lite Ross?

That certainly couldn't have helped his situation.

Still, Alexander the Great and Clueless Lewis stood around playing pocket pool rather than interceding and saying "this shit ain't working".

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I wonder how much input Zamboni had in selecting last year's book end busts at OT or even Crystal Lite Ross?

That certainly couldn't have helped his situation.

Still, Alexander the Great and Clueless Lewis stood around playing pocket pool rather than interceding and saying "this shit ain't working".

What I wonder is how could someone be on your staff for 12 frigging years and and you have not figured out that while he is a good asst coach he was not OC material.  You hired Gruden and not him after Brat.....you put Hue there and not him after Gruden.  So why did Marvin and Company think he was all of a sudden ready to be OC now?

3 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

What I wonder is how could someone be on your staff for 12 frigging years and and you have not figured out that while he is a good asst coach he was not OC material.  You hired Gruden and not him after Brat.....you put Hue there and not him after Gruden.  So why did Marvin and Company think he was all of a sudden ready to be OC now?

complacency, he "earned" his turn. Idiotic in today's NFL, almost as bad as handing your Son a NFL franchise because he's your off Spring, nepotism.

Bengals WR Tyler Boyd admitted former OC Ken Zampese had a tendency to overload him at times with information. Boyd called Zampese a 'great coach,' but said: "There were times where I just felt like he would overwhelm with things to do out there in terms of details and what to do and what not to do. Just making me think too much."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40002291-4

On 9/18/2017 at 10:36 AM, turningpoint said:

complacency, he "earned" his turn. Idiotic in today's NFL, almost as bad as handing your Son a NFL franchise because he's your off Spring, nepotism.

If that was all there was to it then he would have gotten the OC job earlier.

I think they passed over Zampese when Gruden was hired because they needed an experienced QB coach to develop their rookie QB.

And Jackson got the job over Zampese just because he was better.  This time there might not have been an OC they considered as good as Jackson available.

11 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

This time there might not have been an OC they considered as good as Jackson available.

Don't forget that Mike Brown pays his coaches and assistants below league average. Marvin Lewis is finally AT the league average after 15 years. While salaries aren't generally published for Coords, my guess is that Zampese was in the lower third at best.

Typing "Ken Zampese net worth" into Google gives you a guess that he got around $500K a year. Norv Turner's Vikings gig pays $3 Mil.

On 9/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, fluhartz said:

I just want them to clean house ( coaches mostly) ... this shit is tired...

I'm actually content with most of the position coaches and Guenther. Hopefully Lazor will put our offensive talent to their best use. 

What I most want changed is more competent and aggressive game management.

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Don't forget that Mike Brown pays his coaches and assistants below league average.

While salaries aren't generally published for Coords, my guess is that Zampese was in the lower third at best.

If salaries are not published then how do you know Mike Brown pays so much less than other teams?

I believe Zimmer wanted Guenther to be his DC with the Vikings, but we were able to keep him here.  But he might have just wanted Guenther as a position coach instead of a co-ordinator.

Bring back the flea flicker!

Bring back the behind-the-back draw play!

P.S.  DO SOMETHING TO SPEED UP THE OFFENSIVE PLAYS.  Takes for freakin' EVER to get to the line, get situated and get the snap off.  Gives the defense time to think about what they have seen before and tendencies they have picked up in prep and film study.  Hurry up offense, sugar huddle etc.  But how fast they get the play off is one thing I am going to be looking at.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm actually content with most of the position coaches and Guenther. Hopefully Lazor will put our offensive talent to their best use. 

What I most want changed is more competent and aggressive game management.

I'm not jason... Guenther is doing a good job.. but I am tired of the offensive shit and soooooooooooooooo sick of Marvin... I just want something to root for and I don't think Marvin will ever give me that again... I will still watch every week and root my ass off.....but I am literally tired of this shit.....

Shock the world and get it done this week and I am back to all in....

Archived