Is Marvin Coming Back....?

Regardless of whether or not ML and Lazor can turn this thing around I wonder if Marvin had/has any intentions on coming back next season as head coach. We all know his and Hugh Jacksons plan of succession was overridden by Mr. Brown and that would have taken place after THIS season. 

Anyway, for all those crying out to have Marvin fired...STOP! We've already seen a unicorn with the midseason firing of a coordinator. ML isn't going anywhere, but he may not plan on coming back anyway.

Personally, I am on the fence as to whether I want him to leave or not, but I do know that he is a valuable member of the Bengals franchise and would really like to see him remain with the team in some capacity in the future.

5 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

Regardless of whether or not ML and Lazor can turn this thing around I wonder if Marvin had/has any intentions on coming back next season as head coach. We all know his and Hugh Jacksons plan of succession was overridden by Mr. Brown and that would have taken place after THIS season. 

Anyway, for all those crying out to have Marvin fired...STOP! We've already seen a unicorn with the midseason firing of a coordinator. ML isn't going anywhere, but he may not plan on coming back anyway.

Personally, I am on the fence as to whether I want him to leave or not, but I do know that he is a valuable member of the Bengals franchise and would really like to see him remain with the team in some capacity in the future.

Marvin's expiration date has come and gone, it's time for some new blood and fresh thinking. 

Hopefully MB retires and gives Katie and Troy the reigns. He is clearly out of touch and has no clue on what it takes to win in the NFL. Going off what his dad did 60 fucking years ago is ridiculous, same as letting your best 2 OL walk in FA because you don't pay OG's and you think a guy who can't play RT will be better at LT.

Also thinking that Dalton will ever be the guy to win a Super Bowl is laughable at best. Sticking up for Pacman because of his troubled childhood and giving Vontaze 40 mil when he's one questionable hit away from a lifetime ban are dumb decisions as well. 

Maybe the Blackburn's could argue MB is incompetent and get a local judge that is also a long suffering Bengals to award them the team, there's certainly evidence that he's incompetent and making bad decisions.

9 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Marvin's expiration date has come and gone, it's time for some new blood and fresh thinking. 

Hopefully MB retires and gives Katie and Troy the reigns. He is clearly out of touch and has no clue on what it takes to win in the NFL. Going off what his dad did 60 fucking years ago is ridiculous, same as letting your best 2 OL walk in FA because you don't pay OG's and you think a guy who can't play RT will be better at LT.

Also thinking that Dalton will ever be the guy to win a Super Bowl is laughable at best. Sticking up for Pacman because of his troubled childhood and giving Vontaze 40 mil when he's one questionable hit away from a lifetime ban are dumb decisions as well. 

Maybe the Blackburn's could argue MB is incompetent and get a local judge that is also a long suffering Bengals to award them the team, there's certainly evidence that he's incompetent and making bad decisions.

100000% agree...

12 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

I was under the impression that Jackson was going to take over as hc after this year but he didn't want to wait that long so he took the Cleveland job. Either way I believe Marvin has an ability to see talent others miss sometimes and would be well suited to take position as gm. Just my 2 cents 

Hue Jackson was told that if he stuck around that he could be the HC "in a few years" once Marvin decided he didn't want to coach here anymore. Your revisionist history of Mikey overriding this succession plan is incorrect. Hue simply didn't want to stick around to find out if Marvin ever wants out.

However, this is the first time in Mike Brown's history as an owner that he's fired a coordinator mid season and it comes after one of the first times he's ever fired a starting player mid season (Nugent). As much as I feel that Marvin Lewis will be here forever, maybe we see some unexpected changes next off season. 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

IMO he should have been fired after the San Diego playoff game. So if he's not back, it would be too late in moving on. But I wouldn't be surprised if he does return since the Browns don't really demand accountability from their employees. 

Well, they did just fire the OC and long-time QB coach after the 2nd game of the season. OTOH Alexander, Marvin, Pacman etc etc..  

22 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Hue Jackson was told that if he stuck around that he could be the HC "in a few years" once Marvin decided he didn't want to coach here anymore. Your revisionist history of Mikey overriding this succession plan is incorrect. Hue simply didn't want to stick around to find out if Marvin ever wants out.

However, this is the first time in Mike Brown's history as an owner that he's fired a coordinator mid season and it comes after one of the first times he's ever fired a starting player mid season (Nugent). As much as I feel that Marvin Lewis will be here forever, maybe we see some unexpected changes next off season. 

Hue's disparture had more to do with him not wanting miss an opportunity to become a HC without some assurances that he could be a HC here once Marvin decided to retire. If MB would have signed off on the succession plan that was presented by Marvin and Hue, the offense and the team would be in a much better state...they definitely wouldn't be on their second OC in 18 games since Hue's departure. 

Marvin has every intention on fulfilling his contract and wanted to ensure Hue kept the party going, Mike Brown didn't want that to happen or it would have. Brown could have ensured continuity with the offense and kept one of the best OC's in the NFL on the Bengals sideline for 2 years.

Not agreeing to the Marvin/Hue succession plan and letting Whit leave via FA are the two biggest mistakes Mike Brown has made in the past few years.

23 hours ago, Griever said:

I personally don't want ML to return in any capacity. Leadership should be gutted, the franchise is in need of a big culture change.

I am not sure I buy this.  Marvin Lewis was a big culture change.  The Bengals went from a three ring circus of players doing what they want (Pickens, Jeff Blake, etc.) to a team that prepared as played as a team, for the most part. 

The public comments by players (Green, Dunlop, Jones) suggest all is not well in the locker room.  Maybe they did have an influence on the firing of Zampese, or maybe Marvin had already decided to do it.  I thought Lewis backhandedly suggested it when he didn't support Zampese in his post game presser.  While I agree Zampese has to go, it is concerning if the players feel they need to tell the coaching staff what to do.  Rumors about players wanting Kaepernick may be false (I hope so) but if they aren't they definitely suggest Marvin has lost the room.  This chaos may all be anger and blame that is bubbling under the surface from the Pittsburgh playoff loss.  No matter what they say publicly, that was a crippling, emotional loss where there are tons of fingers that could be pointed in multiple directions. 

Honestly, I've been happy with how Marvin Lewis has run the Bengals, until game day.  He's  an awful game day coach. 

5 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I am not sure I buy this.  Marvin Lewis was a big culture change.  The Bengals went from a three ring circus of players doing what they want (Pickens, Jeff Blake, etc.) to a team that prepared as played as a team, for the most part. 

The public comments by players (Green, Dunlop, Jones) suggest all is not well in the locker room.  Maybe they did have an influence on the firing of Zampese, or maybe Marvin had already decided to do it.  I thought Lewis backhandedly suggested it when he didn't support Zampese in his post game presser.  While I agree Zampese has to go, it is concerning if the players feel they need to tell the coaching staff what to do.  Rumors about players wanting Kaepernick may be false (I hope so) but if they aren't they definitely suggest Marvin has lost the room.  This chaos may all be anger and blame that is bubbling under the surface from the Pittsburgh playoff loss.  No matter what they say publicly, that was a crippling, emotional loss where there are tons of fingers that could be pointed in multiple directions. 

Honestly, I've been happy with how Marvin Lewis has run the Bengals, until game day.  He's  an awful game day coach. 

Spot on , especially last paragraph.

15 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Hue's disparture had more to do with him not wanting miss an opportunity to become a HC without some assurances that he could be a HC here once Marvin decided to retire. If MB would have signed off on the succession plan that was presented by Marvin and Hue, the offense and the team would be in a much better state...they definitely wouldn't be on their second OC in 18 games since Hue's departure. 

Marvin has every intention on fulfilling his contract and wanted to ensure Hue kept the party going, Mike Brown didn't want that to happen or it would have. Brown could have ensured continuity with the offense and kept one of the best OC's in the NFL on the Bengals sideline for 2 years.

Not agreeing to the Marvin/Hue succession plan and letting Whit leave via FA are the two biggest mistakes Mike Brown has made in the past few years.

There was never a "succession plan" presented by Marvin to Mike.  Marvin NEVER said he was going to retire or step down.

MB never vetoed such a plan because it never existed.

36 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

There was never a "succession plan" presented by Marvin to Mike.  Marvin NEVER said he was going to retire or step down.

Then what do you call this...

Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Marvin Lewis wanted Hue Jackson to take over as Bengals' coach

By Pat McManamon
ESPN Staff Writer

BEREA, Ohio -- Marvin Lewis wanted his previous offensive coordinator Hue Jackson to stay with the Cincinnati Bengals to eventually take over as head coach, Lewis said Wednesday.

"We had clearly spoke of an opportunity for Hue to stay here if he so liked" Lewis said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "If that's what he chose to do, then eventually he would become the head coach."

Jackson instead chose to become head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

NFL.com first reported the succession story, saying Jackson and Lewis had presented the idea to Bengals owner Mike Brown. The plan had Jackson taking over as Bengals coach in 2018.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17834094/marvin-lewis-wanted-hue-jackson-succeed-head-coach-cincinnati-bengals

https://www.cincyjungle.com/bengals-news/2016/4/10/11402378/mike-brown-turned-down-marvin-lewis-pitch-for-a-hue-jackson

Marvin Lewis just signed another contract extension with the Bengals, but an original plan in his negotiations included a succession plan for Hue Jackson to become head coach down the road.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-hue-jackson-left-the-bengals-to-take-the-browns-job/

With Hue Jackson, his offensive coordinator, a hot head coaching candidate, Marvin Lewis went to Hue Jackson and together they hatched a plan that would have kept Hue Jackson on with a two-year succession plan at which point Marvin Lewis would step down," Silver said. "They went and shopped that to owner Mike Brown, who did not want to put that in writing."

Btw...where you been Freddie...I've missed your pro Dalton bs around here for the past few days. 

53 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Yeah I believe this theory more than anything else.   Jackson got offered an HC job and took it.  Gruden and Zimmer did same. Its how the NFL operates.   Nobody waits around for a promotion in this league if one is offered to you somewhere else.   The NFL more than anything is a league of parity.   If you are a good coach and have decent ownership you should be able to field a competitive team within a few years worst case. 

Talking about  Hue taking over is one thing, having something in writing is completely different.  Since Mike Brown wouldn't put it in writing THERE WAS NO PLAN.

Archived