Per Bleacher Report: Marvin Lewis Faced "Near Mutiny" Over Zampese

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reported Friday that Cincinnati Bengalshead coach Marvin Lewis faced a "near mutiny" before he fired offensive coordinator Ken Zampese.

Florio noted several players had "pointed things to say privately" after the Bengals failed to score a touchdown in each of their first two games of the season.

On the heels of losses to the Baltimore Ravens and Houston Texans, Lewis replaced Zampese with quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor and said the following in a statement, per ESPN.com's Katherine Terrell:

"Ken Zampese has done a tremendous job for us for my 15 years here, and I have the utmost respect for Ken as a person and as a coach. But I feel it best for the football team to breathe new life into the offense, and that's why I am making the change."

Wide receiver A.J. Green had just five catches for 67 yards in the Bengals' 13-9 loss to the Texans on Thursday, and he didn't seem to endorse the way the offense was being run: "I don't control the play-calling. I just go out there and run the play."

Zampese replaced Hue Jackson as offensive coordinator prior to last season, after Jackson was hired as head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

The Bengals went from seventh in points scored to 24th, and their production has plummeted even more through the first two games of 2017.

Before last season, Cincinnati had reached the playoffs in five consecutive campaigns. With Lewis' job potentially hanging in the balance—in 14 years, including seven playoff appearances, he has never led the team to a postseason win—he made a move in hopes of sparking his stagnant offense.

Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2733516-marvin-lewis-reportedly-faced-near-mutiny-before-firing-bengals-oc-ken-zampese?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I think a poster earlier asked...."What is a NEAR MUTINY?"

1)  Marvin Lewis realized the toilet paper had been removed from his bathroom?

2)  Mike Brown went to leave PBS and found his Lumina on blocks with wheels and tires missing?

3)  The Oline blocked Burfict from tackling Marvin Lewis and twisting his ankles until he fires Zampese?

4)  Pacman Jones screaming and spitting ..."You disrespecting me, ho?...If you don't fire Zampese, you can suck my dick.

4 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I think a poster earlier asked...."What is a NEAR MUTINY?"

1)  Marvin Lewis realized the toilet paper had been removed from his bathroom?

2)  Mike Brown went to leave PBS and found his Lumina on blocks with wheels and tires missing?

3)  The Oline blocked Burfict from tackling Marvin Lewis and twisting his ankles until he fires Zampese?

4)  Pacman Jones screaming and spitting ..."You disrespecting me, ho?...If you don't fire Zampese, you can suck my dick.

Hahahahaha.... The Oline blocked someone? Surely you jest....

28 minutes ago, Hint of Snow said:

WTF. Florio report on FNIA just now? Players suggesting Kapernick? Huh what?

If that report is to be believed it just further illustrates the level of frustration festering in that locker room. The other piece of that report mentioned the amount of leash that Dalton has and that it may not be as long as some may think. CK isn't a realistic option midseason but if Dalton goes up to Lambeau and lays yet another egg he may be forcing a move sooner than we thought. 

FWIW; From the day Lazor was fired from the Dolphins...

http://www.dolphinssidelinereport.com/dolphins-fire-offensive-coordinator-bill-lazor/

"The Dolphins offense currently ranks in the bottom half for all major offensive categories and found themselves being one dimensional again against the Jets on Sunday. For the third time this season, Miami was held to under 10 yards rushing in the first half of a game."

"...currently ranks 27th in points per game (20.5) and 26th in yards per game (335.9)."

2 hours ago, Hint of Snow said:

WTF. Florio report on FNIA just now? Players suggesting Kapernick? Huh what?

If this is true things are an even bigger mess than I thought.  Sounds like the tail is trying to wag the dog. 

This could be the beginning of the end for Lewis.  No way Mike Brown is going to have players demanding this player or that player.  If that happens Lewis will be fired and someone will be brought in to take control of the team.

16 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He'll yeah let's throw nitro glycerin on this dumpster fire and bring in Kaepernick! ESPN would have to open up a satellite office in Cincy so can report every hour on his progress.  Winning.

yea.. bring in Tebow too... we need all the shit QB's we can get  

10 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

By not scoring TD's back to back in the losses. Near mutiny what a joke?!

Ask yourself this question, who are the leaders on this team?  Andy? AJ Green? Atkins?  I knew who used to be the locker room leaders but one is now in LA and the other in Denver.  It's very plausible that there was a near mutiny or at least a bunch of whiney LeBron types,

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Ask yourself this question, who are the leaders on this team?  Andy? AJ Green? Atkins?  I knew who used to be the locker room leaders but one is now in LA and the other in Denver.  It's very plausible that there was a near mutiny or at least a bunch of whiney LeBron types,

It appears that Adam Jones has been filling some of that vacuum by reports on Bengals.com.  We all know Jones is a bastion of calm, measured decisions and comments. 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:21 PM, fluhartz said:

yea.. bring in Tebow too... we need all the shit QB's we can get  

Well Tebow did complete one TD pass late in a playoff game.

For some people around here that is all it takes to be a good NFL starter.  Just ignore the hundreds of other pass attempts.  One in the playoffs is all it takes.

Archived