Just noticed NFL.com has us ranked 5th overall.  I also noticed that their ranking system...  it don't make a lick of sense.

#1 Passing.. based on yards.  26th in PPG. 31st vs the run - Jets are the only worse team in yards.  In a 3-way tie @ 20th for YPC.

Granted, this is with an offense doing bugger-all for them, in fact actively shitting on them with all the turnovers.  At the same time, 5th best defense in the NFL? Ya think?  I would say maybe top 10.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Just noticed NFL.com has us ranked 5th overall.  I also noticed that their ranking system...  it don't make a lick of sense.

#1 Passing.. based on yards.  26th in PPG. 31st vs the run - Jets are the only worse team in yards.  In a 3-way tie @ 20th for YPC.

Granted, this is with an offense doing bugger-all for them, in fact actively shitting on them with all the turnovers.  At the same time, 5th best defense in the NFL? Ya think?  I would say maybe top 10.

I'm not really certain what you don't understand. The Bengals are 5th in the NFL having given up 267 yard per game. That's why they are ranked 5th. They are also 7th in PPG.

13 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'm not really certain what you don't understand. The Bengals are 5th in the NFL having given up 267 yard per game. That's why they are ranked 5th. They are also 7th in PPG.

Thanks, to GENO, being the beast he is, we are pretty solid on Defense.  Hopefully will just keep getting better when #55 comes on the field soon.  Who Dey!

19 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

The weighting for passing yards, for one thing.   Total PPG is legit, & with all the turnovers on offense kind of incredible.

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The weighting for passing yards, for one thing.   Total PPG is legit, & with all the turnovers on offense kind of incredible.

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Seriously.

it really is... they have got nothing but shit and bad situations from the offense

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We've also let two team with shaky QB's spend the 4th quarter running the ball down our throats and not needing many yards to beat us. It's not like we've made our opponents take chances. It's not like they needed some 20+ yard pass plays to beat us.

#5 doesn't mean we're the 5th best defense in the league.... It means we're #5 on a list that tracks one stat while ignoring the rest of the game.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

#7 in points.

So.... We're #7 on another list that tracks one stat while ignoring the rest of the game.

It's like that year when the Raiders were awful, but they had the #1 scoring defense. No one thought their defense was great, teams just didn't have to score that many points to beat them.

40 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

So.... We're #7 on another list that tracks one stat while ignoring the rest of the game.

1st in pass efficiency rating

1st in punts per play

3rd in red zone scoring% (td only)

4th in punts per play

6th in tds allowed.

6th in yards per play.

6th in first downs allowed.

8th in points per play.

9th in 3rd down conversion %

I can only find stats on 3-and-out drives for the first game of the season, but we were #1 in the league at that point with 42% of opponenets drives ending 3-and-out.

13 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

1st in pass efficiency rating

1st in punts per play

3rd in red zone scoring% (td only)

4th in punts per play

6th in tds allowed.

6th in yards per play.

6th in first downs allowed.

8th in points per play.

9th in 3rd down conversion %

I can only find stats on 3-and-out drives for the first game of the season, but we were #1 in the league at that point with 42% of opponenets drives ending 3-and-out.

0-2

I think the defense is a top 2 defense, we literally don't have a weakness, it's stacked, i can't wait to see how we do vs the packers, really wish we had Burfict vs them, but o well. 

Offense turns around and keeps the defense off the field and this team could win it's next 5 games.

35 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I think the defense is a top 2 defense, we literally don't have a weakness, it's stacked, i can't wait to see how we do vs the packers, really wish we had Burfict vs them, but o well. 

Offense turns around and keeps the defense off the field and this team could win it's next 5 games.

Naw there are weaknesses to be exploited, specifically in the run game and the short pass game (not impressed by Minter at all so far). But I am interested how it improves once Taz is back.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Naw there are weaknesses to be exploited, specifically in the run game and the short pass game (not impressed by Minter at all so far). But I am interested how it improves once Taz is back.

I agree, I think the fix is so damn simple there....it's TAZ and our nickel package being....

WJ3 and Kirk on the outside and Pacman moving into the nickle....

I get so annoyed seeing Dennard in at Nickle CB and WJ 3 sitting on the bench....there's a better combo on the fucking sideline coaches.

Our Defense is good, that is undeniable.  The offense is putrid.  Its is pure fiction that a defense can carry a team very far in this league with a bad offense.  

People point to the 2000 Ravens who may have had the best defense ever but their offense was not putrid, it was 14th.  

When Seattle won in 2013 their offense was ranked 8th in points.  

Of course the 1985 Bears are the gold standard, #1 defense but their shitty offense was only ranked 2nd in points scored and 7th in yards.  Uhh wut??

You must have at least an average offense to go far in the playoff regardless of how good your defensive talent is.  

In the last 3 years the Saints have gone 1, 2,1 in total offense.    They missed the playoffs all three years because their defense SUCKED.  

You have to have balance in this league to win.

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Our Defense is good, that is undeniable.  The offense is putrid.  Its is pure fiction that a defense can carry a team very far in this league with a bad offense.  

People point to the 2000 Ravens who may have had the best defense ever but their offense was not putrid, it was 14th.  

When Seattle won in 2013 their offense was ranked 8th in points.  

Of course the 1985 Bears are the gold standard, #1 defense but their shitty offense was only ranked 2nd in points scored and 7th in yards.  Uhh wut??

You must have at least an average offense to go far in the playoff regardless of how good your defensive talent is.  

In the last 3 years the Saints have gone 1, 2,1 in total offense.    They missed the playoffs all three years because their defense SUCKED.  

You have to have balance in this league to win.

Nice post, I agree you must have a solid, offense, say an offense that can at least score a touch down once in a while.  

19 hours ago, SF2 said:

Overall I agree with the point you are making, but the '00 Ravens are an outlier.  That team went FIVE STRAIGHT GAMES WITHOUT SCORING A SINGLE TD.

People around here claim the season is over if a team goes 2 weeks without a TD, but the '00 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS went five straight games without scoring a single td.

But claiming the '00 Ravens prove you don't need an offense to win is like saying your uncle who smoked his whole life without heart or lung disease proves that smoking is not bad for you.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Overall I agree with the point you are making, but the '00 Ravens are an outlier.  That team went FIVE STRAIGHT GAMES WITHOUT SCORING A SINGLE TD.

People around here claim the season is over if a team goes 2 weeks without a TD, but the '00 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS went five straight games without scoring a single td.

But claiming the '00 Ravens prove you don't need an offense to win is like saying your uncle who smoked his whole life without heart or lung disease proves that smoking is not bad for you.

Yeah, their defense was insane and did score a lot of points.   The only tough game in the playoffs was against Tennesse.  Tied going into the 4th quarter. The Rats blocked a Tenn field goal and returned it 90 yards to take the lead then Ray the murderer sealed the deal with a 50 yard pick 6.  We have a good defense but nothing like that. 

Defensive rules have changed as well so its hard to believe we will ever see anything like that Ravens team again. 

The biggest outlier maybe the 2011 NY Giants.  They barely made the playoffs at 9-7.  They had the 8th ranked offense and 27th ranked defense but caught lightning in a bottle during the playoffs. 

Archived