41 minutes ago, DanvilleBengal said:

I'm actually really surprised that the defense is that good but really number two overall? Also going out of left field how can we expect this laser guy to work since I have found out that we fired Zampese?

The hope, according to Lapham, is threefold: we trim the playbook down so it's simpler, we take advantage of the talent we have and gameplan around that instead of round peg-square holing it (also deciding on a running back and not benching the fastest man in the NFL after a fumble on a good gain....and maybe, I don't know, crazy thought...LINE HIM UP AT WIDE RECEIVER ONCE AND AWHILE???), and we call offensive plays that dictate the tone of the game rather than reacting to what the defense is showing while Zamp panics and summons his lengthy play cards for adjustments.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

The hope, according to Lapham, is threefold: we trim the playbook down so it's simpler, we take advantage of the talent we have and gameplan around that instead of round peg-square holing it (also deciding on a running back and not benching the fastest man in the NFL after a fumble on a good gain....and maybe, I don't know, crazy thought...LINE HIM UP AT WIDE RECEIVER ONCE AND AWHILE???), and we call offensive plays that dictate the tone of the game rather than reacting to what the defense is showing while Zamp panics and summons his lengthy play cards for adjustments.

I honestly didn't see anything that screamed complex the first 2 games.  Simplier?  As someone posted earlier, are we going to just have a few Techmo bowl plays for our 7 year veteran QB & WR and vets like Hill, Geno, Lafell and Eifert??  Is that were Dalton is after starting 6 years?

55 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I honestly didn't see anything that screamed complex the first 2 games.  Simplier?  As someone posted earlier, are we going to just have a few Techmo bowl plays for our 7 year veteran QB & WR and vets like Hill, Geno, Lafell and Eifert??  Is that were Dalton is after starting 6 years?

Where Dalton is after starting 6 years is behind an utter shit offensive line on an 0-2 team that seems to have mostly checked out mentally over a year ago.   Vets like Hill, Lafell, and Eifert?  Hill is the only one of the 3 producing and everyone hates him because they'd rather see Mixon's 2.6 ypc out there.  I really don't care if AD stays or goes at this point but this whole organization is a model of dysfunction right now.  I don't expect a quick fix.

51 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Where Dalton is after starting 6 years is behind an utter shit offensive line on an 0-2 team that seems to have mostly checked out mentally over a year ago.   Vets like Hill, Lafell, and Eifert?  Hill is the only one of the 3 producing and everyone hates him because they'd rather see Mixon's 2.6 ypc out there.  I really don't care if AD stays or goes at this point but this whole organization is a model of dysfunction right now.  I don't expect a quick fix.

There is no quick fix when your problem is either QB play or lack of talent at O Tackle. Its like trying to pick up an RB starter for your fantasy team on Sunday morning. Ain't much out there.

I'm not really certain what you don't understand. The Bengals are 5th in the NFL having given up 267 yard per game. That's why they are ranked 5th. They are also 7th in PPG.

after the 3rd quarter of the ravens game how can u buy it. 13 or 14 runs vs. 1 pass on the drive? They knew they were running and failed miserably. The stats are a benefit of sucking in week one and the Texans

I think the defense is good, but the numbers are skewed from playing two mediocre offenses.  Rodgers will be a much tougher challenge.  That being said, Burfict will be a major boost when he returns.  The only major negatives I have seen are giving up two "big" plays and spending too much time on the field.  If the offense can start doing anything,  it can only help the defense.

14 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Well Ross is likely hurt again, so don't get your hopes up that he's out there this weekend whether the coaches want him to be or not.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeeeeeep. If the team wants to draft a QB high next year then go for it but if they don't address the line in a big way (think Minnesota this past offseason) then WTF is the point? Our core of great players sure isn't getting any younger so either use 1 offseason and fucking go for it all or admit you're in the middle of a re-build and move a star player or two for high draft picks ala baseball. It's not so common in the NFL but why not if they're going to take a couple of years to get back to consistent playoff form?

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

There is no quick fix when your problem is either QB play or lack of talent at O Tackle. Its like trying to pick up an RB starter for your fantasy team on Sunday morning. Ain't much out there.

Don't forget the interior line too. Our entire OL has been rough this year, Ced hasn't been our only problem there. If Lazor can't get them to put some points on the board then people need to get benched after this week. I don't think Andy automatically should be the guy but if he plays like shit for 3 weeks bench him. Ced plays like shit again bench him. I don't care if they start 4 different guys on the line in week 4 if they look like shit against the Packers.

9 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

admit you're in the middle of a re-build and move a star player or two for high draft picks ala baseball. It's not so common in the NFL but why not if they're going to take a couple of years to get back to consistent playoff form?

My guess would be because they're far more reliant on season tickets.  Baseball games are cheap & they play 80+ at home, so you can do OK with one-off sales even if the fans know you're rebuilding.  With an NFL team only playing 8 home games and tickets running 5-10x the price for the cheap seats, not sure a franchise could afford to admit they don't expect to be competitive for a year or two.  Between the lost seat licenses and advertising I think they have to pretend like this is the year until they're mathematically eliminated.. At which point next year is the year.

15 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't think Andy automatically should be the guy but if he plays like shit for 3 weeks bench him.

Really, if he plays like shit, you trust your o-coord to do his job. It's not a decision for PO'ed fans to make. 

If Bill Lazor wants Dalton to start, you start Dalton, and if he wants McDonald's to start, you go that way. Do you really want out personnel decisions made by mob rule or a Bucky Brooks column?

1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Really, if he plays like shit, you trust your o-coord to do his job. It's not a decision for PO'ed fans to make. 

If Bill Lazor wants Dalton to start, you start Dalton, and if he wants McDonald's to start, you go that way. Do you really want out personnel decisions made by mob rule or a Bucky Brooks column?

I seriously, seriously doubt they're giving Bill Lazor the authority to bench the starting QB. 

5 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

No I'm just putting my opinion out there that I wouldn't mind seeing him get benched for a week to relax if he plays like garbage for the 3rd straight week.

It's the same as any other opinion that we put on a message board, just throwing my thoughts into the mix. All I'm saying is that I'd agree with the benching if he plays like shit again and if the team goes that way.

If we aren't going to put our own personal thoughts out there on a forum meant for just that, we might as well all make signatures that say "I hope the team does what the coaches decide to do" and then post blank messages back and forth.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I seriously, seriously doubt they're giving Bill Lazor the authority to bench the starting QB. 

Didn't you hire the guy to be the boss of the Offense? He's our former QB coach, no one knows the players better...

Being the Bengals, it wouldn't surprise me, but if you're hiring someone to manage, you let them manage. If Katie doesn't think Lazor is qualified to decide which QB starts for him, why the hell is he  qualified to coach them or call plays? 

1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Didn't you hire the guy to be the boss of the Offense? He's our former QB coach, no one knows the players better...

Being the Bengals, it wouldn't surprise me, but if you're hiring someone to manage, you let them manage. If Katie doesn't think Lazor is qualified to decide which QB starts for him, why the hell is he  qualified to coach them or call plays? 

You really think the Bengals are wrong or even unique in not giving a new hire total authority on day one?  

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You really think the Bengals are wrong or even unique in not giving a new hire total authority on day one?  

Hmm, maybe Katie should just grab a headset and start calling the plays herself since she knows more about how to coach offense. 

Rumors have it that it wasn't until 2011 that Marvin was even able to choose who suited up on game day. IMHO, you're defending one of the problems in the Org chart. But by all means... Let's have Mike Brown in there saying that we haven't tried DeShawn Watson at TE while all of the coaches roll their eyes some more. It's worked so well in the past.

9 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Hmm, maybe Katie should just grab a headset and start calling the plays herself since she knows more about how to coach offense. 

Rumors have it that it wasn't until 2011 that Marvin was even able to choose who suited up on game day. IMHO, you're defending one of the problems in the Org chart. But by all means... Let's have Mike Brown in there saying that we haven't tried DeShawn Watson at TE while all of the coaches roll their eyes some more. It's worked so well in the past.

Quit being melodramatic.  Have you ever hired someone, or trained a new hire?  Lazor is on a trial basis at best, if not essentially a temp.  I'd actually agree with you that ownership/mgmt has undermined the coach's authority at times but expecting Bill Lazor, a guy most of us probably couldn't name a week ago, to be able to bench their franchise QB solely on his say-so isn't very realistic.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Quit being melodramatic.  Have you ever hired someone, or trained a new hire?  Lazor is on a trial basis at best, if not essentially a temp.  I'd actually agree with you that ownership/mgmt has undermined the coach's authority at times but expecting Bill Lazor, a guy most of us probably couldn't name a week ago, to be able to bench their franchise QB solely on his say-so isn't very realistic.

And it's not like he was a Bengals lifer or anything. Assistant to the Regional Manager Paul Alexander may have been given that ability had he been moved to OC, but I dunno about Lazor.

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That would be almost as crazy as promoting the former QB coach to the position... What was his name again?

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I would not trust him with that responsibility.  Looks like a sprinkles guy.

Do you have statistics over the past five years to back that up?

You know how it goes around here.  You must have statistics to

back up any opinion.  If you don't have statistics, I'm sure someone

else will.

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If Katie doesn't think Lazor is qualified to decide which QB starts for him, why the hell is he  qualified to coach them or call plays? 

I don't think any other team in the league lets the coordinators decide who starts.  That is the job of the head coach.

Archived