Andy Dalton needs great teammates to succeed

I've heard this a lot in the past couple of weeks now, but my question is....who doesn't? I want to see how many seasons and QBs we can come up with that have had great seasons with less than talented OL, receivers, and/or coaches.

2010 - Philip Rivers, the only non-OL player to start all 16 games that year. Only 2 of his o-linemen started 16 games as well. This was the year that SD players dropped like flies all through the season. His best offensive weapons in Antonio Gates missed 6 games, Vincent Jackson missed 10+, and his OL ranked around league average (run blocking slightly above average, pass blocking below average with 38 sacks). Clarence Shelmon was the OC of the team and this was his one and only gig as anything above a position coach in the NFL, he was pretty much a lifer at RB coach at the college and NFL levels. You'd think given the circumstances that Rivers would have shit the bed, hell, can you imagine having to be an NFL QB throwing to the likes of Legedu Naanee, Craig Davis, Randy McMichael, Seyi Ajirotutu, and Kelly Washington for a full season? Darren Sproles, Malcom Floyd, and Patrick Crayton were Rivers' best options outside of Gates for most of the season.

Philip posted over 4700 passing yards that year with 30 TD to 13 INT, completed 66% of his passes, and had a 101.8 rating. The team went 9-7, but their defense was pretty darn good. #1 in yardage, #10 in PPG, #2 in yards per play, T-#2 in sacks, but didn't force a lot of turnovers.

Are there any specific seasons people can come up with where a QB performed at a high level despite a bit of a mess around them? I'm genuinely curious to see how much there is to back up the "Andy can't play well without great players around him!!!" claim. I feel like not many QBs ever have great seasons without other great players and coaches surrounding them.

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

In 2013 when Rob Gronkowski missed 9 games and Tom Brady did not have a WR that could stretch the field he finished 17th in the league with a passer rating of 87.3.

That same year Dalton was 15th with a rating of 88.8

Yep and even though Brady has had good games without Gronk since, they've also signed other good TEs and developed WRs. Their offense wasn't prepared to perform without Gronkowski that year.

I'm wondering where all the "Andy sucks without weapons" guys are at though. You'd think with that kind of criticism that it would be simple for people to be rattling off seasons where all of these NFL QBs had great years without a good supporting cast.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yep and even though Brady has had good games without Gronk since, they've also signed other good TEs and developed WRs. Their offense wasn't prepared to perform without Gronkowski that year.

I'm wondering where all the "Andy sucks without weapons" guys are at though. You'd think with that kind of criticism that it would be simple for people to be rattling off seasons where all of these NFL QBs had great years without a good supporting cast.

Andy sucks with or without weapons. The farthest he could get us is a wildcard birth.

18 minutes ago, fresno bengal said:

Andy sucks with or without weapons. The farthest he could get us is a wildcard birth.

Geno Atkins sucks with or without weapons. The furthest he could get us is a wildcard berth.

Herpa derpa doooooooooooooooooooooo

3 minutes ago, fresno bengal said:

Andy = 7 years

Geno =4 or 5 years

Kick Dalton off the team and give Geno 2 more years to figure it out. Deal?

Lol

The point is that it's a team game. I'm not going to sit here and call Andy Dalton an elite or amazing QB by any stretch, but trolls like you that just run around and say he sucks are very far off of reality.

This is honestly unreal and you can't be a Bengals fan actually. You do know Geno was drafted before Andy, right? No? Major lolz "bra"

18 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

"berth" 

Yes, and wildcard berths are so very easy to come by. We all have fond memories of all of our other playoff appearances before Dalton was our QB.

Actually all our previous playoff experiences were competitive games. Can't say the same about 4 of our last 5. I think McCarron was QB when we last had a playoff lead. If I'm not mistaken Dalton never has held the lead in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, fresno bengal said:

Andy = 7 years

Geno =4 or 5 years

Kick Dalton off the team and give Geno 2 more years to figure it out. Deal?

Also kick off AJ Green and Dunlap, right?

Guess you were thrilled to see Zeitler and Whitworth go last year since they sucked so bad.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Lol

The point is that it's a team game. I'm not going to sit here and call Andy Dalton an elite or amazing QB by any stretch, but trolls like you that just run around and say he sucks are very far off of reality.

Correcrtion: its a team game when we lose. When we win its mainly because of Dalton by leg humper logic. 7 years no postseason win time to move on.

1 minute ago, fresno bengal said:

Correcrtion: its a team game when we lose. When we win its mainly because of Dalton by leg humper logic. 7 years no postseason win time to move on.

Nah it's always a team game. There are definitely some games where I'd say Andy was the main reason we've lost and some games where he's been the main reason we've won. However, Andy Dalton has never won or lost a single game by himself as that's impossible in a team sport.

Ya know, not everyone has to be 100% black or white extreme with everything they believe. You don't have to think Andy sucks OR Andy is the best. There is plenty of room in between where most realities will be found.

9 hours ago, fredtoast said:

In 2013 when Rob Gronkowski missed 9 games and Tom Brady did not have a WR that could stretch the field he finished 17th in the league with a passer rating of 87.3.

That same year Dalton was 15th with a rating of 88.8

Uhh, the Patriots won a playoff game that year and lost to the Broncos in the AFC Championship.  Even with less than optimal talent the Patriots find ways to win regular season and playoff games.  We find ways to lose those games with far better talent.   Its not all Dalton's fault, the organization doesn't need to be exceptional to make a boatload of money.  An NFL franchise is not Samsung or Apple fighting for the best talent in order to continue to put out great products to remain profitable, the Bengals just need to spend near the cap, hire coaches to get them on an off the field properly and teach the player enough plays and defensive formations to provide competition to the marque franchises. 

The Browns will make plenty of money by simply providing a team to play every week regardless of the quality. 

16 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Uhh, the Patriots won a playoff game that year and lost to the Broncos in the AFC Championship.  Even with less than optimal talent the Patriots find ways to win regular season and playoff games.

And Brady's postseason passer rating (87.5) was almost exactly the same as his sub-par regular season rating (87.3).

This thread is about individuals, not teams.  So if you want to say that "every player and coach on the Bengals" needs great players around him to succeed then you have a point.  But that is not what we are discussing.

4 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

And Brady's postseason passer rating (87.5) was almost exactly the same as his sub-par regular season rating (87.3).

This thread is about individuals, not teams.  So if you want to say that "every player and coach on the Bengals" needs great players around him to succeed then you have a point.  But that is not what we are discussing.

Yet Brady won yet another playoff game, 25 and counting, something Dalton could not do with far superior talent in 2013.    Funny thing is the next year we had the same situation.  Dalton lost many of his best players late in the season and faced the same Colts team Brady somehow manged to beat the year before under similar circumstances.   Once again we were shut out in the second half.   I can still remember Brady calling a million audibles in that game taking advantage of little gaps in the run defense.  It was impressive. 

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Like the 24-14 2009 wildcard game vs the Jets?

(excuse the formatting)

C/ATT YDS TD INT SACKS QBR
C. Palmer 18/36 146 1 1 3-36 51.7

Truly an inspiring performance there

That looks like an above average Dalton playoff game. Put up McCarrons 1 playoff game against Daltons 4 and get back at me.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah we participated the hell out of that game.. 

:rolleyes:

Even Scooter looked like shit with the exception of like 4 throws in the 2015/16 playoff game.

Carson, Dalton, McCarron, doesn't matter. There must be SOME common denominators here, right?

Nah it's probably just because Andy sucks. Yeah, that's it!

Archived