Andy Dalton needs great teammates to succeed

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Perhaps this is so. All I know is that I keep hearing that we had the cap room to resign Whitworth and Zeitler, but didn't, and we stood pat with what we had, with (so far) disastrous results. I understand not giving a guard the kind of money that Cleveland threw at him, but we should have resigned Whitworth.

Totally agree about Whit (how could you not?) but something that tends to get lost in these "We should have re-signed ______" discussions is that the player has a choice in this, too.  Given an equal offer I'm not convinced he wouldn't still rather be in LA.

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Not sure where you're going with this. I don't think Atkins sucks (and I know you were using this as an example), and there are plenty of other players on our team that don't suck either.

Maybe you should read a thread before you just jump in and start quoting people.

Fresno was using a logically fallicy.  He tried to prove the Dalton sucks because the team could not win.  And you agreed with him.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Totally agree about Whit (how could you not?) but something that tends to get lost in these "We should have re-signed ______" discussions is that the player has a choice in this, too.  Given an equal offer I'm not convinced he wouldn't still rather be in LA.

True enough. But from listening to the scuttlebutt on the radio, our offer was weaksauce compared to what the Rams were offering.

9 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Maybe you should read a thread before you just jump in and start quoting people.

Fresno was using a logically fallicy.  He tried to prove the Dalton sucks because the team could not win.  And you agreed with him.

Oh the horror!

On 9/23/2017 at 9:02 PM, T-Dub said:

If I an not mistaken the Bengals only offered Whit 1 year, LA offered 2 with more guaranteed  $.

EDIT: Actually, 3 years $33.75mil , $15 mil guaranteed. Pretty sizable for a guy his age but he can still ball.

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

If I an not mistaken the Bengals only offered Whit 1 year, LA offered 2 with more guaranteed  $.

I don't even think comparing deals works here... We were only interested in Whit if the deal was extremely team friendly because management was already convinced that Ced was the future at LT.

Every player is going to have his growing pains, so we'll have to wait and see if the light comes on for Fisher, and Ced... And O-Line is hard to make a new group come together even when they're vets. I'd like to Lazor start this next game run heavy. Let the guys get out there and manhandle the D-Line for a dozen plus plays. I don't care if it's 3 series. It'll make passing easier down the line.

We gotta dance with the girl we brought.  The O-Line has top play much better for us to play better as an offense.  Let the mules get out and flatten a few people to start this one even if Hill is getting 1 ypc.

On 9/22/2017 at 12:15 PM, T-Dub said:

Team hasn't looked the same since the WC game.  Too much bullshit, too demoralizing on many levels. Then they start this season with the heart of the defense suspended on some more bullshit plus a lame duck HC, shit OL, clueless OC, grabass QB play.. They are 2-3 losses from total meltdown, which at this point may be exactly what they need.  Scary part about that is the possibility that The Redeemer will think he has the solution rather than admit he's more likely the root of the problem.

Sometimes it is better to destroy and rebuild than to continue on the current path.

As much respect and appreciation as I have for Marvin, it's obvious the Bengals need a new coach. It's not working, like at all.

11 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Sometimes it is better to destroy and rebuild than to continue on the current path.

As much respect and appreciation as I have for Marvin, it's obvious the Bengals need a new coach. It's not working, like at all.

Oh I agree, but I don't trust Mikey to

1. Hire someone competent

2. Give that person the authority to do what needs done

3. Not undermine that authority the first time they hurt someone's widdle feefees 

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Oh I agree, but I don't trust Mikey to

1. Hire someone competent

2. Give that person the authority to do what needs done

3. Not undermine that authority the first time they hurt someone's widdle feefees 

Removing all control from Mike Brown has to be the number one priority, he's one of if not the worst owners in the history of the NFL. Until Mike Brown is removed from the GM position and gives up the final and day to day decision making capability to someone else this franchise will always be in the same situation. It's like any other business, if the ineffective leader stays in place then the company will fail. In the NFL it's impossible for your francise to go out of business thanks to revenue sharing but you can be the cannon fodder for the teams that actually know how to put together a winner. 

Since Brown became owner, the team has had 7 winning seasons out of 24 and has a winning percentage of .418 (163-228-1) in the regular season and .000 (0-7) in the playoffs.[24] In 2008, the Bengals set a record for the most games needed under one specific owner to attain 100 wins (288). In 2010, the team set a record for the fewest games needed to lose 200 (both considering and not considering playoffs) under one specific owner (314).[25]

The Bengals hold a number of distinctions for the time frame of Brown's ownership: It is the only team with three nine-game-or-more losing streaks.[26] It also holds six of the twenty-five 0-6 starts (24%)[27] and four of the thirteen 0-8 starts (31%) in that time.[28] The Bengals have gone winless in October nine different times in twenty-two years under five different head coaches (Sam Wyche was originally hired by Paul Brown).

In 2009 Yahoo sports ranked Mike Brown as the second worst owner in the NFL

In 2009 Yahoo ranked Al Davis as the worst owner, he's dead and Brown has done enough to take his place. 

19 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Bengals have the tenth best record in the league since 2009.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

And as many playoff wins as the Browns.

Exactly, they haven't won a playoff game in over a quarter century. In a league that makes it almost impossible to not be competitive because of profit sharing, salary caps, and free agency this is a very hard thing to do.

Regular season success is meaningless if doesn't translate into post season success. Also this team is regressing, so any success they had 2 seasons ago is basically irrelevant.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:29 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

I don't even think comparing deals works here... We were only interested in Whit if the deal was extremely team friendly because management was already convinced that Ced was the future at LT.

I still fail to understand the logic behind this decision. Let go your perennial pro bowler LT because he wants to be paid as such (as under the media radar as Whitworth always was) and decide that Ogbuehi is the answer. It's like they didn't even watch Ced last season. He looked completely lost. Who thought this was a good idea? Sure Whit is 34, but it isn't like he had a long injury history, and he was a team leader, a voice in the wind, a captain! Why could we not come to terms with him? It's the stupidest thing ever in Bengals history. Whit is the man. Letting him go was a HUGE mistake.

3 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Ahh, the good ol' days.....we, while they lasted. Still awesome to look back at some of those games from that year. My wife and I were at the Green Bay game. Fuck, was that a good one.

I agree. They were some fun times. And Whitworth was the fucking man.

23 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Regular season success is meaningless if doesn't translate into post season success.

No it isn't.  Everyone here would rather win enough games to make the playoffs than go 4-12 every year.  If you disagree you are either lying. 

We have won a lot of big regular season game over the past few years and after every one of those games than fans are happy and cheering.  I have never once seen all the fans just sit there after a big win and say "I don't know if I enjoyed this or not until I see if we win a playoff game".

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

No it isn't.  Everyone here would rather win enough games to make the playoffs than go 4-12 every year.  If you disagree you are either lying. 

We have won a lot of big regular season game over the past few years and after every one of those games than fans are happy and cheering.  I have never once seen all the fans just sit there after a big win and say "I don't know if I enjoyed this or not until I see if we win a playoff game".

It's not significant, so it's basically meaningless. Nobody remembers or cares about the 1973 or 1975 teams because they lost in the first round of the playoffs despite having a very good regular season.

11 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

It's not significant, so it's basically meaningless.

There is zero logic behind this claim.

If you claim there is no difference to you between a playoff season and a 4-12 season you are lying. 

Some fans are so jealous of the victim card the Browns fans have that they just make up crazy shit.

On 9/28/2017 at 5:19 PM, fredtoast said:

While this is true, most intelligent fans are tired of not winning a playoff game. The goal is to win the Superbowl. We've been so far from sniffing that it's ridiculous. It's even more painful that we've had SEVEN opportunities to advance under Marvin during his tenure and we have not done so. I mean, dude...Marvin Lewis is now Jim Mora's favorite person for supplanting him as the WORST PLAYOFF COACH IN NFL HISTORY. Doesn't that piss you off that he's still the coach of the team? ANY other NFL franchise not starting with the letter "C" would have fired his ass a long time ago. You think Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones would retain Marvin if he coached for them?

Lewis needs to go back to being a DC. It's what he knows best. If we lose to the Browns the season will be over, and therefore Mike Brown ought to just go ahead and pull the plug on the whole thing and start over.

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

This is a guy who fired the coach that brought championship football back to Dallas because he was stealing Jerry's spotlight.  Not sure he's the best example.

Jones is also the guy that stuck by Garrett when everyone was calling for his head.

Archived