Andy Dalton needs great teammates to succeed

14 hours ago, Bunghole said:

ANY other NFL franchise not starting with the letter "C" would have fired his ass a long time ago.

Not necessarily.

Remember when everyone else around here swore that no other team would ever pay Peko to be their starting NT?

Marvin is an anomoly.  There are not really many coaches that have a record like his.  Many bteams would have let him go after the '10 season, but once he started making the playoffs every year a lot of teams would have held onto him.

14 hours ago, Bunghole said:

While this is true, most intelligent fans are tired of not winning a playoff game. The goal is to win the Superbowl.

I am just as tired of not winning playoff games as anyone else, I am just not as convinced as everyone else that replacing Marvin will fix the problems.

So many people here complain that we don't sign any quality free agenst and we don't have enough scouts to draft well.  So that makes everything Marvin has accomplished even more impressive.  It is tough to win at Le Mans driving a Kia when everyone else is in Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, and Audis.

If Marvin had been fired after last year I would not have complained as long as they hired a good replacement.  But I am not going to be ecstatic and believe we will improve with "anyone but Marvin".  He is not that bad of a coach.  He is no where near as bad as many of you try to claim.  Change just for the sake of change will not improve anything.

3 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

And, on top of that, he is actually a good coach. Although he was/is as universally reviled in the MetroPlex as ML is here.

He's ok, but he's also not held to the same standard.   Dallas players could sacrifice kittens in a satanic black mass and they'd still be "America's Team".  

I have a number of relatives around DFW, so I travel there often. It is a strange symbiosis between fan, media, and franchise there. On one hand, you are correct: anyone who wears that Star can do no wrong (other than TO..but they always considered him an Eagle, so there's that). On the other hand, there is scorching critique of even the way they tie their shoes. The media plays both sides, and the franchise just keeps raking in loot--with nary a fear of actually losing fan support. Basically a neo-religion, complete with repentance/forgiveness all around. Absolutely nothing like here, where hatred of all things Bengals is a normal rite of passage.

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I have a number of relatives around DFW, so I travel there often. It is a strange symbiosis between fan, media, and franchise there. On one hand, you are correct: anyone who wears that Star can do no wrong (other than TO..but they always considered him an Eagle, so there's that). On the other hand, there is scorching critique of even the way they tie their shoes. The media plays both sides, and the franchise just keeps raking in loot--with nary a fear of actually losing fan support. Basically a neo-religion, complete with repentance/forgiveness all around. Absolutely nothing like here, where hatred of all things Bengals is a normal rite of passage.

Football in general in Texas is a neo-religion, especially high school football.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Football in general in Texas is a neo-religion, especially high school football.

Cowboys family & brief Texas HS football player with many more in the friends/family column; can confirm.  Knew a grown man who mostly kept to himself because everyone still remembered how they dropped that pass against Mcmaynerberry or some other identical one-horse shithole in the next county over at the state semi-final back in 19-eighty-who-gives-a-fuck.  Cool dude too, built his own airplane & wouldn't tell your parents if he saw you shwasted at the Grange Hall on a Saturday night. Allegedly. 

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Cowboys family & brief Texas HS football player with many more in the friends/family column; can confirm.  Knew a grown man who mostly kept to himself because everyone still remembered how they dropped that pass against Mcmaynerberry or some other identical one-horse shithole in the next county over at the state semi-final back in 19-eighty-who-gives-a-fuck.  Cool dude too, built his own airplane & wouldn't tell your parents if he saw you shwasted at the Grange Hall on a Saturday night. Allegedly. 

I just knew that "Varsity Blues" was a documentary!

I have noticed A.D. has missed a few open recievers, & at least one deep ball was thrown out of bounds ....not good....

but when you reshuffle an O-line it usually takes a while to gel....

& if ANY QB has up front O-line issues he's going to suffer & the run game will suffer....this is not a new problem, imo, but it's a lot worse so far this year....

but as A.D. & the entire offense showed the first 1/2 in G. B. is that when they do things correctly it pays off...they converted 3rd downs......5 of 6 I think Lap said....moved the chains....

second 1/2 I think I heard Lap say they were 0 for 5 ....that is why they only scored 3 points in that 1/2....

it always seems to me when the Bengals lose it's usually b/c the offense sucked....

& it's usually an O-line issue....no ground game & Dalton is running for his life....but many Blame Dalton....

Archived