Bengals, desperate for a win, welcome winless Browns

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28348/bengals-in-desperate-need-of-a-win-welcome-winless-browns

GREEN BAY, Wis -- The Cincinnati Bengals are getting desperate, and they should be.

They're 0-3, and the window is closing.

That quiet desperation was evident in the locker room after a 27-24 loss to the Packers on Sunday. The defiant anger that permeated the locker room after a loss to the Texans had been replaced by something else.

On Sunday, the Bengals were more solemn than angry. They know they're letting the season slip away.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, only three teams who started 0-3 have gone to the playoffs since the NFL went to a 12-team format in 1990: The 1998 Bills (finished 10-6, lost in wild-card round), 1995 Lions (finished 10-6 and lost in the wild-card round) and 1992 Chargers (finished 11-5 and lost in the divisional round).

There's hope, albeit slim hope. And it starts with the winless Browns next week.

Adam Jones and the Bengals are searching for a victory after falling short in overtime against the Packers. Larry Radloff/Icon Sportswire

"It's very frustrating," said Bengals rookie Carl Lawson, who had 2.5 sacks on Sunday. "But my mind is on Cleveland right now. You just have to keep moving forward. It hurts, but you have to find something to build on. You can't be down in the dumps because you won't get any better."

The Browns have played the Bengals tough as of late, and despite their record, they've been close in every game. They'll be just as desperate to win as the Bengals, but they simply haven't been good enough.

The Bengals knew they were good enough to beat the Packers on Sunday. They just couldn't get out of their own way en route to blowing a 21-7 lead.

To see it end in the way it did, with Michael Johnson jumping offsides in overtime to give Aaron Rodgers a free pass to make a 72-yard completion, had to be agonizing.

"If we play like that clean up a couple self-inflicted plays we can beat any team!!! Crazy," Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap said on his social media account after the game.

"It is what it is. We've got to still go," said linebacker Kevin Minter. "We've just got to do a better job. We had the foot on their neck. We need to stomp on them. We need to cut it off."

Marvin Lewis and his staff talked all summer about pulling out those tough victories. By losing the way they did, the Bengals proved they are no better than last year's team. In their last 11 games, the Bengals are 1-9-1 in contests decided by a touchdown or less. Closing out games has been their biggest hurdle to overcome.

Some in the locker room, perhaps trying to find the silver lining, said they thought they took some steps forward in Week 3. They pointed to William Jackson's interception return for a touchdown, they called Lawson a "beast" for his big day against Rodgers, and they said the offense is getting better after finally getting in the end zone.

Perhaps that rings a little hollow after a loss, but the Bengals were likely trying to boost morale. They have a chance next week against a Cleveland team that is struggling as much as the Bengals, and linebacker Vontaze Burfict returns from suspension.

If they get their first win against the Browns, they'll be back at home the following week against the Bills with a chance to go 2-3 before their bye. It's not where they wanted to be, but it's a chance to salvage their season.

"Good teams have a short-term memory," Minter said. "You have to take a blow to the jaw and keep fighting."

"Bengals, desperate for a win, welcome winless Browns"

Be careful what you wish for...

Before the season began I thought the Browns and Bengals would split the season.

When they drafted Garrett I thought of him lining up against our woeful O line.

They are as hungry for a win as we are and they are at home.

However, if the Browns would win, maybe Lazor would be our head coach for the Buffalo game.:ninja:

3 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

"Bengals, desperate for a win, welcome winless Browns"

Be careful what you wish for...

Before the season began I thought the Browns and Bengals would split the season.

When they drafted Garrett I thought of him lining up against our woeful O line.

They are as hungry for a win as we are and they are at home.

However, if the Browns would win, maybe Lazor would be our head coach for the Buffalo game.:ninja:

Maybe not a bad thing. 🤔

I honestly believe that if the Bengals don't beat Cleveland on Sunday, Marvin Lewis will be fired.

It's got to be obvious to everyone in the building that he's lost this team.

My guess is that Paul Guenther would get the nod. It can't be Bill Lazor. He's got enough on his plate already.

1 hour ago, Big Alice said:

I honestly believe that if the Bengals don't beat Cleveland on Sunday, They probably will not.  Marvin Lewis will be fired. We can always hope.  Actually, I'm not sure what he is still doing here now after the display of Marvinball that started when the team ran into the tunnel for half time.  "OK, team.  We're ahead.  Let's go out there and sit on the lead and play not to lose and who ordered the white chocolate mocha?  On three... one... two... three ... three... three... I said 'on three'.  Weren't you listening?  Hello?"

It's got to be obvious to everyone in the building that he's lost this team about a decade ago.

My guess is that Paul Guenther would get the nod. It can't be Bill Lazor. He's got enough on his plate already.  Whoever it is will just be a placeholder until Hue Jackson is fired in Cleveland.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:38 AM, GoBengals said:

What?

Over the last two years the Bengals have outscored the Browns 122-50 (avg 30.5-12.5) and the Browns have never come closer than13 points.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I honestly believe that if the Bengals don't beat Cleveland on Sunday, They probably will not.  Marvin Lewis will be fired. We can always hope.  Actually, I'm not sure what he is still doing here now after the display of Marvinball that started when the team ran into the tunnel for half time.  "OK, team.  We're ahead.  Let's go out there and sit on the lead and play not to lose and who ordered the white chocolate mocha?  On three... one... two... three ... three... three... I said 'on three'.  Weren't you listening?  Hello?"

First half................14 pass plays, 18 run (before we got the ball with less than 2 minutes left it was 11 pass, 18 run)

Second half & OT...16 pass plays, 12 runs.

But who needs facts when your mind is controlled by message board myths and talk radio bullshit.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

It's got to be obvious to everyone in the building that he's lost this team about a decade ago.

You mean the decade where only 5 teams made the playoffs more times than the Bengals?

On 9/25/2017 at 4:28 PM, turningpoint said:

Aaron rodgers struggled vs our defense, no way kizer does a damn things vs this defense with burfict. I expect an all out dimantling of the browns on Sunday.

Well, maybe, but don't ignore the Bengals rich tradition of making rookie QB's look like Johnny Unitas.

3 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Nailed it.

To illustrate;   Kroft had 2 TD's so I was curious when Eifert last had 2 TD's - @ CLE last December.  Most in a game? 3, vs CLE in 2015.

So the Turds remain the Turds, but limp in 2-3 at the bye week & we're still alive.  Buffalo is 3-1 and leading the AFCE, though.  No, really.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

To illustrate;   Kroft had 2 TD's so I was curious when Eifert last had 2 TD's - @ CLE last December.  Most in a game? 3, vs CLE in 2015.

So the Turds remain the Turds, but limp in 2-3 at the bye week & we're still alive.  Buffalo is 3-1 and leading the AFCE, though.  No, really.

Bills game is going to be tough, if we want any shot at being a playoff team this is a must win. We can't drop to 0-3 vs the AFC.

21 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Bills game is going to be tough, if we want any shot at being a playoff team this is a must win. We can't drop to 0-3 vs the AFC.

Burfict is back and I don't believe either Eifert or Ross will add a lot to this team down the road.  So if we can't beat the Bills we have no reason to believe we will suddenly "turn it around".

35 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Burfict is back and I don't believe either Eifert or Ross will add a lot to this team down the road.  So if we can't beat the Bills we have no reason to believe we will suddenly "turn it around".

I do wonder what it will do to teams in terms of sending more than 4, if eifert and Kroft can get open in the middle....I also think if Ross can figure it out, the DE opposite of him will always have to be thinking Contain for an end around as opposed to full out going after the tackle....I'm not giving up on guys because they're injured quite yet, people get hurt it's football.

Archived