Boycott

Catfish Bob

Who else is boycotting the NFL?  The Bengals being 0-3 makes this super easy for me :)   Plus its deer season.   I might listen to Lap on the radio broadcast but I am not watching and sure as hell not ordering tickets. Sucks it has come down to this however I have been half ass boycotting since we got cheated by Pitt in the wildcard. Since that game I have only watched Bengal games. Now I will watch no games.

For me, it's not the Bengals, "protests", or even a "boycott"....I am simply just not that interested any longer. I have written it so many times, I can't say it any simpler than: the NFL is so corrupt, and the game so watered down/compromised, that it is virtually impossible to engender the sort of loyal commitment it once did. Not that the NFL has ever really cared about anything other than money, but at one time it was reasonable to believe their overall commitment was to produce a legitimate quality product for its customers. That does not even remotely exist any longer. 

I no longer view it--other than the occasional Bengal game, nor read about it--except here. I don't wear gear, caps--anymore than I would for other sports for which I am only mildly interested. The NFL--after so many years of it being the complete antithesis--has become an afterthought. 

I quit spending money on the Bengals/NFL years ago.  Dumped the Sunday Ticket 5-10 years ago and got my Sundays back.  I haven't been to a game since Riverfront.  No merchandise either.  My protest was/is more of a Mike Brown protest.  As I've stated before I don't buy the corruption thing. 

Just curious but what specific issue do you all want changed about the NFL?

Why are you boycotting and what specifically would have to change before you started watching again?

I love NFL football.  I don't really understand why you all are so mad or disapppointed.  I can understand the people who are so mad at Mike Brown that they would boycott the Bengals, but don't see what the problem is with the entire NFL.  Still a bunch of incredible athletes playing a great game.  What is not to like.

No.

Can't say I'm boycotting the sponsors because I am quite pleased with the current set of wheels and not in the market for a new truck/car and don't drink but do enjoy a lot of the Budweiser commercials.  As a matter of fact, I want them to bring back the Swedish Bikini Team.

When at the stadium, I stand for the National Anthem and presenting of the Colors and while I respect the opinions of those protesting on the field think there is a time and place for everything and that ain't it.  But that's just me.

And have a wonderful day, all.

37 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Just curious but what specific issue do you all want changed about the NFL?

Why are you boycotting and what specifically would have to change before you started watching again?

I love NFL football.  I don't really understand why you all are so mad or disapppointed.  I can understand the people who are so mad at Mike Brown that they would boycott the Bengals, but don't see what the problem is with the entire NFL.  Still a bunch of incredible athletes playing a great game.  What is not to like.

Too much of a business making machine perhaps now?  The tax exempts, the NON Profit NFL, the Rule Changes, the flags truly take away the excitement on the big plays, anytime, there is a big play seems you will see a flag.  The athletes perhaps are to athletic?  It is no longer, backyard Hail Mary the common football fan likes, "sometimes" in the game. There is no room for error, when it becomes too technical.  When everything becomes to perfect it takes away the fun.  The idea that the kick off return was taken away, and now they just kick it into the stands, that whole circus is just dumb.  So kick return makes money by standing there in the end zone watching a ball go over his head.  Politics has reached the NFL.  I am not boycotting the Bengals, or the division, but I am not going to go out of my way to stay up late to watch games if I am sleepy.  Unless it is the Bengals. lol.

I'm not boycotting but can understand. The players are using these games people are investing their time and money in as a political platform. They don't want that and considering half the fans don't agree with them. They also consider it disrespectful not to stand and think they should find a better place and way to protest

The reason I haven't watched much outside of our beloved bengals is I'm not interested. Between rule changes and lack of practice I feel like the games aren't as good as they used to be. I'm just not as entertained as I used to be so I wind up doing other things.

2 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

Too much of a business making machine perhaps now?  The tax exempts, the NON Profit NFL, the Rule Changes, the flags truly take away the excitement on the big plays, anytime, there is a big play seems you will see a flag.  The athletes perhaps are to athletic?  It is no longer, backyard Hail Mary the common football fan likes, "sometimes" in the game. There is no room for error, when it becomes too technical.  When everything becomes to perfect it takes away the fun.  The idea that the kick off return was taken away, and now they just kick it into the stands, that whole circus is just dumb.  So kick return makes money by standing there in the end zone watching a ball go over his head.  Politics has reached the NFL.  I am not boycotting the Bengals, or the division, but I am not going to go out of my way to stay up late to watch games if I am sleepy.  Unless it is the Bengals. lol.

Don't feed the animals.

They only come back for more. 

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

No.

Can't say I'm boycotting the sponsors because I am quite pleased with the current set of wheels and not in the market for a new truck/car and don't drink but do enjoy a lot of the Budweiser commercials.  As a matter of fact, I want them to bring back the Swedish Bikini Team.

When at the stadium, I stand for the National Anthem and presenting of the Colors and while I respect the opinions of those protesting on the field think there is a time and place for everything and that ain't it.  But that's just me.

And have a wonderful day, all.

I think being Patriotic is great, but our system of government, has it's flaws.  Also I sometimes, grow weary of all the oh military personnel thank you for your service and this in that in corporate business, because they will end up making money from it some how.  Also, some people join the military for the paycheck and benefits, and really don't see much action.  So we need some kind of balance when it comes to who do we honor and who do we say cool, thanks for being in ROTC I guess.

44 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

I think being Patriotic is great, but our system of government, has it's flaws.  Also I sometimes, grow weary of all the oh military personnel thank you for your service and this in that in corporate business, because they will end up making money from it some how.  Also, some people join the military for the paycheck and benefits, and really don't see much action.  So we need some kind of balance when it comes to who do we honor and who do we say cool, thanks for being in ROTC I guess.

Dude, if you have no understanding of how the Military works, please refrain from commenting.   On the evening of  August 1, 1990 I was in Manhattan Kansas drinking beers with my hot 22 year old senior girlfriend  and her friends who were attending K. State.  I had just signed up to take 2 classes and start working on my Masters degree.   Was finally gonna be able to take advantage of those benefits.   3 months later I was on the Saudi/Iraqi border.

My son is raising his right hand at 1pm today to join the Marines.   Anyone who is willing to join the military and all that goes with it deserves our thanks regardless of whether or not they see action.  One of the most important members of every unit is the Supply Sargent.  They are not expected to see action but they sure as hell make sure the rest of us are fully supplied to do so.  A good supply NCO is worth their weight in gold. 

My opinion is we shouldn't play the national anthem or raise the flag at NFL games.  The players and organizations don't really deserve or rate that kind of honor.  With very few exceptions, most of them have done little to make this country a better place or help their fellow man.  Those that have can certainly be honored at other public events.   The NFL has wrapped itself in the flag purely as a marketing ploy. At one point the NFL was charging the military to have tributes on the field until it was discovered.   

As far as boycotting, I really only watch the Bengals, occasionally the Saints but not nearly as much as the Bengals.  Probably only watched 8 to 10 full Bengals games last year.  I haven't been to a game in a few years but go to OSU games 2 or 3 times a year.  I will occasionally meet my buds out for cold beers and to watch a game but usually we go together to watch college games which are simply more entertaining.

Everyone seems to run the same offense in the pros which has become a short passing controlled game.  I had a little hope when Kaepernick, RGIII and Cam came into the league but those exciting offenses were either found out and/or organizations realize its simply too easy to lose your franchise QB running that type of offense.

Not boycotting but the game has become horribly stale and inflicted with yellow flag disease. 

54 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Dude, if you have no understanding of how the Military works, please refrain from commenting.   On the evening of  August 1, 1990 I was in Manhattan Kansas drinking beers with my hot 22 year old senior girlfriend  and her friends who were attending K. State.  I had just signed up to take 2 classes and start working on my Masters degree.   Was finally gonna be able to take advantage of those benefits.   3 months later I was on the Saudi/Iraqi border.

My son is raising his right hand at 1pm today to join the Marines.   Anyone who is willing to join the military and all that goes with it deserves our thanks regardless of whether or not they see action.  One of the most important members of every unit is the Supply Sargent.  They are not expected to see action but they sure as hell make sure the rest of us are fully supplied to do so.  A good supply NCO is worth their weight in gold. 

Amen... and even if someone does "join the military for the paycheck and benefits, and really don't see much action", it means they have done so KNOWING they have written a blank check with their lives being the payment. IF you want to overlook that little tidbit, then yeah... no big deal about the military.

Asshats speak about that of which they have no clue.

I would NEVER boycott something because people have their undies in a bundle over other people exercising the rights. Don't like the form of their protest but I defended their rights for 20 years and won't be a hypocrite now.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

10 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Asshats speak about that of which they have no clue.

One of those times when I am sorry that I can give only one +1 per post.  Thank you both for your service to our Country.

Very impressed with your son, SF.  I wish him nothing but the best.

And whatever you do, DO NOT send him any care packages with pogey bait (aka candy, cookies) and or cigarettes while he is in boot camp.

1 hour ago, Marlon23 said:

lol..  some of my best reads are from this guy..  back on bengals.com 

You read that shit?

My two favorite statements about statistics :

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics." ~Mark Twain

Statistics can be used to prove or disprove anything including the same issue.

1 hour ago, ccartman2 said:

The players are using these games people are investing their time and money in as a political platform.

And when did the NFL pregame turn into slob-knobbing the military and police?

We've been supporting the alternate side of the political platform for a while now. A decade ago, players weren't even expected to be on the field for the Anthem. I'm Ex-Navy, but I see no reason why you have to worship the flag in order to be able to go out and hit people really hard.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-pentagon-pays-the-nfl-millions-to-honor-veterans-at-games-2015-5

“Until 2009, no NFL player stood for the national anthem because players actually stayed in the locker room as the anthem played,” ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith explained in 2016. “The players were moved to the field during the national anthem because it was seen as a marketing strategy to make the athletes look more patriotic. The United States Department of Defense paid the National Football League $5.4 million between 2011 and 2014, and the National Guard $6.7 million between 2013 and 2015 to stage onfield patriotic ceremonies as part of military-recruitment budget line items.”

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Very good post.  The NFL decided to wrap itself in the flag without realizing many of its players are simply not patriotic.  I can honestly say many of my friends are not anywhere close to as patriotic as me.  Very few people in this country serve in the military and the fact is most new recruits like my son, come from military families which I actually see as a problem but this isn't the place to discuss that.  

That said, when you engage in a marketing strategy, YOUR SALES FORCE,  which in this case is the players, better be on board.   Worse is the NFL is so clueless that they are trying to fix their stupidity making Trump the villain.  YOUR players are the ones doing shit to piss off your customers, TRUMP is not your customer.   

57 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

You read that shit?

My two favorite statements about statistics :

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics." ~Mark Twain

Statistics can be used to prove or disprove anything including the same issue.

lol yeah, just can't take it personal!!  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

My opinion is we shouldn't play the national anthem or raise the flag at NFL games.  The players and organizations don't really deserve or rate that kind of honor.  With very few exceptions, most of them have done little to make this country a better place or help their fellow man.  Those that have can certainly be honored at other public events.   The NFL has wrapped itself in the flag purely as a marketing ploy. At one point the NFL was charging the military to have tributes on the field until it was discovered.   

As far as boycotting, I really only watch the Bengals, occasionally the Saints but not nearly as much as the Bengals.  Probably only watched 8 to 10 full Bengals games last year.  I haven't been to a game in a few years but go to OSU games 2 or 3 times a year.  I will occasionally meet my buds out for cold beers and to watch a game but usually we go together to watch college games which are simply more entertaining.

Everyone seems to run the same offense in the pros which has become a short passing controlled game.  I had a little hope when Kaepernick, RGIII and Cam came into the league but those exciting offenses were either found out and/or organizations realize its simply too easy to lose your franchise QB running that type of offense.

Not boycotting but the game has become horribly stale and inflicted with yellow flag disease. 

Don't want you to take my words out of context.  Sure Military personal deserve our thanks.  I have had family members who actually were in action and those who did not see war time did their time and out.  I ASSURE you the person who seen the actual war has much more respect from me than the person who did not and who still walks around acting as if they some how saved my freedom.  Also it is funny you would want me to refrain from commenting, isn't this what America is about Freedom of speech?  So my point is there needs to be some type of balance between honoring and congrats to those who joined the military. Corporations and business will state anything or put military stuff on apparel just to sell an item for profit this is my main point.   Also many and I mean many parents regret having their children go into Military after they find out the root cause of a WAR.  Defending our freedom is an expression that is used cause it sounds good, but truthfully many men and woman have been killed because of Corporate/Government Greed due to wars. I will bring back to topic not boycotting the games, but I think they should be standing for the National Anthem.  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

This is my point.  No offence to you or your family.  Thank you very much for your son's service as well.  However, when it comes to government and the true agenda of those with power, money, I caution anyone who would send a child into war with over optimistic patriotism.  Very few wars was an actual threat given to the actual homeland of the UNITED STATES of America.  The ideology and the idea of becoming the police of the world, cause of money and greed is the true factual reason bloodshed has been put on many family's in america.  

https://www.salon.com/2014/11/09/you_dont_protect_my_freedom_our_childish_insistence_on_calling_soldiers_heroes_deadens_real_democracy/

3 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

my son is in the military in the medical field.  he might not see action but he takes care of the ones that do.  you might not want to thank him for his military service but i bet those injured soldiers do.

1 hour ago, Marlon23 said:

Don't want you to take my words out of context.  Sure Military personal deserve our thanks.  I have had family members who actually were in action and those who did not see war time did their time and out.  I ASSURE you the person who seen the actual war has much more respect from me than the person who did not and who still walks around acting as if they some how saved my freedom.  Also it is funny you would want me to refrain from commenting, isn't this what America is about Freedom of speech?

I respect all those who have honorably served, I don't put conditions on it. 

My wife met and married a decorated combat veteran after I left the service. She has almost no clue what the military is really about or what a day in the Army was like for me.

I never said you couldn't comment, I asked you to refrain from commenting because you don't know what you are talking about.  Also, Freedom of Speach does not protect you from ridicule so exercise it at your own risk.

Putting qualifiers on which military members you respect more based on whether or not they saw "action" is ridiculous. 

Archived