Boycott

Catfish Bob

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Very good post.  The NFL decided to wrap itself in the flag without realizing many of its players are simply not patriotic.  I can honestly say many of my friends are not anywhere close to as patriotic as me.  Very few people in this country serve in the military and the fact is most new recruits like my son, come from military families which I actually see as a problem but this isn't the place to discuss that.  

That said, when you engage in a marketing strategy, YOUR SALES FORCE,  which in this case is the players, better be on board.   Worse is the NFL is so clueless that they are trying to fix their stupidity making Trump the villain.  YOUR players are the ones doing shit to piss off your customers, TRUMP is not your customer.   

They are plenty patriotic. They are actually trying to improve the country and risking themselves by doing so. 

Trump is the one who got on twitter and called them SOBs. He made himself the villain. 

Do you just want your players to be mindless robots not concerned about social issues? If Colin Kaepernick was a clerk at best buy he'd still be black and wouldn't have a forum. He doesn't lose his patriotism by suddenly being able to run fast and throw hard. 

4 hours ago, ccartman2 said:

I'm not boycotting but can understand. The players are using these games people are investing their time and money in as a political platform. They don't want that and considering half the fans don't agree with them. They also consider it disrespectful not to stand and think they should find a better place and way to protest

The reason I haven't watched much outside of our beloved bengals is I'm not interested. Between rule changes and lack of practice I feel like the games aren't as good as they used to be. I'm just not as entertained as I used to be so I wind up doing other things.

Whats the better place?

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I respect all those who have honorably served, I don't put conditions on it. 

My wife met and married a decorated combat veteran after I left the service. She has almost no clue what the military is really about or what a day in the Army was like for me.

I never said you couldn't comment, I asked you to refrain from commenting because you don't know what you are talking about.  Also, Freedom of Speach does not protect you from ridicule so exercise it at your own risk.

Putting qualifiers on which military members you respect more based on whether or not they saw "action" is ridiculous. 

Soldiers can be jerks too. They are human afterall. It's not like they are saints. They might be brave but there are just as many terrible people in the military as there are in the other parts of society. 

Dude, if you have no understanding of how the Military works, please refrain from commenting.   On the evening of  August 1, 1990 I was in Manhattan Kansas drinking beers with my hot 22 year old senior girlfriend  and her friends who were attending K. State.  I had just signed up to take 2 classes and start working on my Masters degree.   Was finally gonna be able to take advantage of those benefits.   3 months later I was on the Saudi/Iraqi border.

My son is raising his right hand at 1pm today to join the Marines.   Anyone who is willing to join the military and all that goes with it deserves our thanks regardless of whether or not they see action.  One of the most important members of every unit is the Supply Sargent.  They are not expected to see action but they sure as hell make sure the rest of us are fully supplied to do so.  A good supply NCO is worth their weight in gold. 

My opinion is we shouldn't play the national anthem or raise the flag at NFL games.  The players and organizations don't really deserve or rate that kind of honor.  With very few exceptions, most of them have done little to make this country a better place or help their fellow man.  Those that have can certainly be honored at other public events.   The NFL has wrapped itself in the flag purely as a marketing ploy. At one point the NFL was charging the military to have tributes on the field until it was discovered.   

As far as boycotting, I really only watch the Bengals, occasionally the Saints but not nearly as much as the Bengals.  Probably only watched 8 to 10 full Bengals games last year.  I haven't been to a game in a few years but go to OSU games 2 or 3 times a year.  I will occasionally meet my buds out for cold beers and to watch a game but usually we go together to watch college games which are simply more entertaining.

Everyone seems to run the same offense in the pros which has become a short passing controlled game.  I had a little hope when Kaepernick, RGIII and Cam came into the league but those exciting offenses were either found out and/or organizations realize its simply too easy to lose your franchise QB running that type of offense.

Not boycotting but the game has become horribly stale and inflicted with yellow flag disease. 

1st. Tell your son thanks from me. I'm also glad it's no longer my generations turn.

2nd. Every Marine's first job is a rifleman. My brother is an excellent example of that. Came in as an MP and was sent to an urban combat school. He was knocking on doors in An Nasiriyah. We all know how poorly that shit show went.

Lastly, we were taught to make friends with those in the supply field and mess management types too. Pissing off either one of those resulted in someone having a bad day.

I agree that NCAA games are more interesting. Especially for me since Louisville figured out what it takes to put a winning product on the football field. However, I expect college to follow suit shortly even though "standard pregame routine is that Petrino's Cardinals do not take the field for college football games until after the national anthem." Petrino is miffed by Trump's speech and has had discussions with his team. Yes, this is the same Petrino that Mike Zimmer was so pissed at after he left HC of the Falcons to go elsewhere and left Zimmer and others hanging.

Amen... and even if someone does "join the military for the paycheck and benefits, and really don't see much action", it means they have done so KNOWING they have written a blank check with their lives being the payment. IF you want to overlook that little tidbit, then yeah... no big deal about the military.

Asshats speak about that of which they have no clue.

I would NEVER boycott something because people have their undies in a bundle over other people exercising the rights. Don't like the form of their protest but I defended their rights for 20 years and won't be a hypocrite now.

If those that have served want to exercise our rights to protest those who are protesting, I think that is fair. We fought for "our" rights also. Each person's life and rights, in America, is equal.

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

"the team being 0-3 makes it easier for me" speaks volumes to the real agenda..

I just say that because I have loved the Bengals since I was 4 years old. Win or lose I have watched or listened in on the radio to almost every game. So this boycott will be me sacrificing something I've really enjoyed my whole life. The idea of getting my Sundays back as others have mentioned seems good.

Sept 11 2001 I was 17 years old a junior in High school. 

In 03 at age of 19 GW announced Operation Iraqi Freedom. The next day I was in my local USMC recruitment office signing my life. 

To see these guys chitting on something im willing to die for.....never again NFL. 

53 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Soldiers can be jerks too. They are human afterall. It's not like they are saints. They might be brave but there are just as many terrible people in the military as there are in the other parts of society. 

I never said they couldn't be jerks or terrible people in the service what is your point?

Plenty of NFL players are immoral pieces of shit.  You just called them plenty patriotic?  Taking a knee for a minute with no threat of repercussions takes zero courage.  It would be like me yelling, "Trump sucks" at the Democrat Convention.  They protested this weekend because they are mad at Trump. So brave.

Very few of them are trying to change anything.  Most are attention whores, lemmings or assholes.  

At the end of the day, you're still saying that you were fine with the NFL until someone stood up for what he believed in.

Guys hit their wives after a long day of working in a concussion factory... That's ok as long as they show proper deference to the flag.

And just to be clear... Players are not sales reps. They are the product. No one tunes in on Sunday to watch the owners count their money. Remember scrub football during the strike? We can have those Glory days again...

I don't recall the owners asking players if they were willing to be uber patriots for free... While the owners banked an extra 10 million.

49 minutes ago, Numbers said:

If those that have served want to exercise our rights to protest those who are protesting, I think that is fair. We fought for "our" rights also. Each person's life and rights, in America, is equal.

This is the crux of the entire protest... the life and rights of men and women of color are NOT equal in practice.

I have no problem with those protesting the protest... but have a question for them;

If your rights are treated as better than another human beings rights, because the cosmos gifted you with 1/16" of lighter epidermis, who the hell cares about "lack of respect for vet's"?

Especially when the men and women of color vets aren't treated as equal although they made the same sacrifice? I know that the constitution states that "all men are created equal", but is that what is practiced in our society?

Hell no it's not.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I respect all those who have honorably served, I don't put conditions on it. 

My wife met and married a decorated combat veteran after I left the service. She has almost no clue what the military is really about or what a day in the Army was like for me.

I never said you couldn't comment, I asked you to refrain from commenting because you don't know what you are talking about.  Also, Freedom of Speach does not protect you from ridicule so exercise it at your own risk.

Putting qualifiers on which military members you respect more based on whether or not they saw "action" is ridiculous. 

I think over the top patriotism has become a bit much.  All is well though, do we have a chance of making the playoffs this year?  

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think perhaps this is what I am leaning towards, like a group of real Douche types who think cause they put on some camo think they saved our freedom some how.  Also the corporate machine will make a dime of support our troops, and the government sends these people into harms way for wanting rule some 3rd world country or oil. 

This is the crux of the entire protest... the life and rights of men and women of color are NOT equal in practice.

I have no problem with those protesting the protest... but have a question for them;

If your rights are treated as better than another human beings rights, because the cosmos gifted you with 1/16" of lighter epidermis, who the hell cares about "lack of respect for vet's"?

Especially when the men and women of color vets aren't treated as equal although they made the same sacrifice? I know that the constitution states that "all men are created equal", but is that what is practiced in our society?

Hell no it's not.

Yes, there is a problem. No, that is not what is practiced. All rights should be valued but I will not venerate one set of rights over another. Gaining a set of rights by trampling respect and dignity of others is not the way to proceed.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

At the end of the day, you're still saying that you were fine with the NFL until someone stood up for what he believed in.

Guys hit their wives after a long day of working in a concussion factory... That's ok as long as they show proper deference to the flag.

And just to be clear... Players are not sales reps. They are the product. No one tunes in on Sunday to watch the owners count their money. Remember scrub football during the strike? We can have those Glory days again...

I don't recall the owners asking players if they were willing to be uber patriots for free... While the owners banked an extra 10 million.

Nope, I never said any such thing.  I  DON'T THINK the players should be required to do anything when it comes to the National Anthem, it was a MARKETING DECISION by the NFL to have them stand on the field.  Some coaches being what they are (control freaks) decided to have them stand in a line during the playing of said Anthem.  Maybe if Kaepernick had been a better spokesman for himself (he basically didn't say anything for a long time) , this would have turned out better.  

The fact that the NFL has allowed players to use the anthem to promote PERSONAL issues and  beliefs, some that would obviously upset large numbers of fans, is on the NFL.  Now it is a circus with rich white owners having to side with predominantly black players who are using it to promote their causes.  Of course the owners will side with the players because the players  ARE THE LEAGUE.  The PLAYERS have a tremendous amount of leverage and they know it.  Look at what has happened to NBA basketball over the last 15 years,..coaches have almost zero power and GMs need the permission of the MARQUE players in many instances to make any changes.  

BTW, this all started while Obama was President, not Trump.  Trump just threw a lot of gas on the fire.  

As I have already said, I am NOT BOYCOTTING the NFL, I just don't watch as much because the Bengals only won 6 games last year and are 0-3 so far this year.  I have 4 kids, I don't get to lay around and watch other teams (not named The Bengals) play without mama SF2 giving me an ear full. 

Standing up for the National Anthem with a group of strangers, many who are trashed is not exactly what I consider America at its best.  When I am at a high school game surrounded by my community watching kids play who I coached  or watched grow up has a much different feeling. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Nope, I never said any such thing.  I  DON'T THINK the players should be required to do anything when it comes to the National Anthem, it was a MARKETING DECISION by the NFL to have them stand on the field.  Some coaches being what they are (control freaks) decided to have them stand in a line during the playing of said Anthem.  Maybe if Kaepernick had been a better spokesman for himself (he basically didn't say anything for a long time) , this would have turned out better.  

The fact that the NFL has allowed players to use the anthem to promote PERSONAL issues and  beliefs, some that would obviously upset large numbers of fans, is on the NFL.  Now it is a circus with rich white owners having to side with predominantly black players who are using it to promote their causes.  Of course the owners will side with the players because the players  ARE THE LEAGUE.  The PLAYERS have a tremendous amount of leverage and they know it.  Look at what has happened to NBA basketball over the last 15 years,..coaches have almost zero power and GMs need the permission of the MARQUE players in many instances to make any changes.  

BTW, this all started while Obama was President, not Trump.  Trump just threw a lot of gas on the fire.  

As I have already said, I am NOT BOYCOTTING the NFL, I just don't watch as much because the Bengals only won 6 games last year and are 0-3 so far this year.  I have 4 kids, I don't get to lay around and watch other teams (not named The Bengals) play without mama SF2 giving me an ear full. 

Standing up for the National Anthem with a group of strangers, many who are trashed is not exactly what I consider America at its best.  When I am at a high school game surrounded by my community watching kids play who I coached  or watched grow up has a much different feeling. 

I just want to make clear, I very happy your family is serving, and Thank you so much!   

1 hour ago, Marlon23 said:

I just want to make clear, I very happy your family is serving, and Thank you so much!   

I appreciate it.   I know a lot of my Army buddies are upset about this but where else, besides the military, is one expected to stand for the National Anthem before they go to work (actually in the military, they play Reveille) ?  I couldn't imagine the response from many of my co-workers (PRE Kaepernick) if they were told they had to file into the conference room and stand for the National Anthem before starting work. 

Certainly it is different if you are playing on a National team representing the US but these are NFL football teams which print money for rich guys  representing a city,.. nothing more. 

Hell, after that shitty stadium deal the citizens of Hamilton County should have taken a knee before every game. 

Lingerie Football League declares they stand for the national anthem

By Diana Falzone

Lingerie Football League losing the lingerie?

Big changes for popular league

The NFL has caused a stir by allowing players to kneel during the the national anthem, but one league is taking a solid stand against the practice. 

The Legends Football League, notorious for women playing the sport in nothing but lingerie, released a video on Tuesday on YouTube titled

"LFL | NATIONAL ANTHEM RESPONSE.

"The summary reads, "The LFL recognizes everyone's First Amendment right to protest, but our nation's flag and anthem are far too sacred. Too many fellow Americans have made the ultimate sacrifice, so that our flag and anthem continue in all its majesty."

The orginization took to Twitter on Wednesday to explain that it was a response to reactions from fans urging the LFL to comment on the NFL backlash.

"Due to many fans wanting the LFL to make a formal statement as to the controversy sweeping our nation. #Country #Flag #OneNation #Unite"

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

"the team being 0-3 makes it easier for me" speaks volumes to the real agenda..

And the Rockies being on the cusp of the playoffs goes a long way too. 

Anything but the fucking NFL. 

But it all gets in the way of the meme of millionaires "protesting" (still not defined of course), as though they are the Chicago Fucking Seven...and so Comrade Jamie can post a quotation from some thoughtful leftist for the umpteenth thousandth time and have everyone applaud like he is Jerry Fucking Rubin. 

Injustice? Real or imagined, Welcome to the world. They can go to Caracas and take a knee trying to get toilet paper or water along with the real poor schmucks who thought everything was hunky-dory so long as the oil prices stayed high and the money was flowing to everybody. Maybe they can get in with Maduro and still live the good life? Wait, people are REALLY pissed there, they might have to actually fight for something, as opposed to making a quarter million a week performing for the bread and circus crowds and offering a token show of nothing except for the delight of the corrupt American media and the useful proletarian idiots. 

Am i devisive? Am I resistant to getting involved "in the conversation "--whatever in the fuck that is? I don't care enough about this farce of an entertainment industry, the filthy rich performers, financiers, and parasite acolytes to either know or care to know anything leading to a "conversation". They can kneel, sit, or lay flat on their backs for all I give a shit. Maybe they can protest my medical insurance premiums going through the roof, or that there is no cure immediately available for my wife's cancer. How about that, as opposed to imaginary wrongs done to people they don't know, or sins committed by people who have been dead 150 years. 

Life sucks. It is the nature of this world. There is no Nirvana arriving by the means of mortal people. All the social justice engineering in imagination, will not move the needle one step closer to perfection. It doesn't exist--at least not in this manifestation of existence. Keep trying I guess, history has shown that there are relatively just societies which have happened--including the one Americans live in now. But that doesn't fit the agenda, so do keep on stirring pots. 

I have lived a longer life than 90% of the people here. I have experienced all of the ups and downs of life--no one can challenge me on anything. But I am through with caring about the whims of overpaid entertainers and what they think they are representing. I do not care an iota for their "rights". I just don't care. 

Archived